January 8th, 2009

Palin takes digs at Fey, Couric

Palin had tough words for Fey and Couric.
Palin had tough words for Fey and Couric.

(CNN) - Sarah Palin is credited with making Tina Fey a world-wide star and boosting Katie Couric's ratings at CBS.

But in a recent interview with conservative John Ziegler, Palin said both "exploited" her twelve-week candidacy - a fact, she said, that "says a great deal about our society.”

Fey's widely-applauded portrayal of the Alaska governor boosted SNL's ratings, while Couric’s audience grew after a series of interviews during which Palin now-famously faltered.

“I did see that Tina Fey was named entertainer of the year and Katie Couric’s ratings have risen," Palin said in the interview. "I know that a lot of people are capitalizing on, oh I don’t know, perhaps some exploiting that was done via me, my family, my administration - that’s a little bit perplexing, but it also says a great deal about our society.”

The Alaska governor was particularly upset with an SNL skit during which Fey's version of Palin said, "I believe marriage is meant to be a sacred institution between two unwilling teenagers."

The line was a clear reference to Palin's 18-year-old daughter Bristol and her fiancé Levi Johnston. The two announced shortly before the GOP convention that they were expecting a baby and had plans to marry.

"The mama grizzly rises up in me, hearing things like that," she said of a skit. "Here again, cool, fine come attack me. But when you make a suggestion like that that attacks a kid, it kills me."

In the wide-ranging interview, Palin also faulted the McCain campaign for agreeing to a series of sit-downs with Couric after the first one appeared to go so poorly.

“I knew it didn’t go well the first day, and then we gave her a couple of other segments after that," she said. "And my question to the campaign was, after it didn’t go well the first day, why were we going to go back for more…going back for more was not a wise decision either.”

During one of those follow-up interviews, Palin took heat for appearing to be unable to name the newspapers or magazines she reads: "Um of them, any of them that have been in front of me all these years," was the Alaska governor's response.

In the interview with Ziegler, Palin called that answer "too flippant" and suggested the question itself offended her.

“To me the question was more along the lines of, ‘Do you read, what do you guys do up there, what is it that you read?’”

"...Katie, you’re not the center of everybody’s universe," Palin added off-handedly.

Palin, who has long criticized media coverage of her campaign performance, also said she is interested to see if reporters are equally tough on Caroline Kennedy as she pursues the appointment to the likely-vacant Senate seat in New York.

“I’ve been interested to see how Caroline Kennedy will be handled, and if she will be handled with kid gloves or if she will be under such a microscope,” she said.

“It’s going to be interesting to see how that plays out and I think that as we watch that we will perhaps be able to prove that there is a class issue here, also that was such a factor in the scrutiny of my candidacy versus, say, the scrutiny of what her candidacy may be," she also said.

Filed under: Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
soundoff (1,634 Responses)
  1. Craig

Sarah, I understand the "Mama Bear" impulse, but the "teenagers" line wasn't a shot at your kids, it was still a shot at you. Just because it MENTIONS your kids doesn't mean it was making fun of them,and it's kind of pathetic that you're trying to hide behind them when you can't take the heat.

January 8, 2009 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  2. Dave S, Tinley Park, IL

Boo hoo, Palin! Guess what running for public office includes? Public scrutiny! Stay in Alaska where you can handle softball questions/situations instead of blaming those 'nasty ol' reporters' pressuring you to show your intelligence (or lack thereof). They did what they were supposed to and exposed you as close-minded, uninformed, and unprepared to run this country.

January 8, 2009 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  3. Joe, Boston

I didn't vote for McCain/Palin but she has very valid points. I was disgusted by the media's portrayal of her children. They were not fair game; they are HER CHILDREN! And the fact that her daughter was pregnant and getting married at the age of 18 did not matter to me. I could see if the girl was 14 yrs old. Also, I am very curious to see how the media and SNL will portray Caroline Kennedy in her pathetic interview with the NY Times. I wonder if they will be so bold to make fun of a Kennedy. I highly doubt it. There's definitely a double standard between a conservative woman and a liberal woman with the MSM. I never noticed it before until Palin came into the scene.

January 8, 2009 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  4. Lisa

Oh, boo hoo. Why did an interview with a journalist go so badly for someone who wanted to be the Vice President of the United States, anyway? Not too tough for most qualified people. It's a shame Palin and her ilk can only handle interviews from sympathetic neo-cons.

By the way, I bet a Harvard educated attorney like Caroline Kennedy can answer tough questions like "What types of things do you read everyday?" I can!

Palin should disappear for awhile, keep quiet, do some serious governing in Alaska, and try to continue to learn and evolve in the bigger world. Did she not get the message? A majority of people in the US did not think she was qualified for the job. Therefore, a loss in November. Go away and do your job already.

January 8, 2009 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  5. Al

Oh Puh-leeez. "Oh...don't ask me what I read – that's offensive". Give me a break! She's out there critisizing the media so of COURSE its a fair question to ask her what she reads. And didn't she agree to appear on SNL with Tina Fey? Hmmmm....did she not see her characiture before she agreed to go on? If she did, isn't it a little disingenuous to now say that Tina Fey was exploiting her? I guess she wasn't exploiting you Sarah when you went on though, right? And if she didn't see Fey's characterization before agreeing to go on SNL...well....how stupid was THAT?

Govenor Palin, stop blaming the media simply because it shined a light on your own inadequacies. If you can't take the critisism, don't run for office.

January 8, 2009 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  6. Abyssinian Lion

"The mama grizzly rises up in me, hearing things like that" and I nearly sho.t myself. Can you beleive me trying to skin myself? What a maverick I am...Ha ha (wink,wink) ya betcha!

January 8, 2009 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  7. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

Tina Fey may have created a been doing a parody of Palin, but it was based on the facts that were there. She is an ideologue from all that I saw (interviews, VP debate, RNC , etc) and doesn't really understand enough to know that they were really taking what they saw to an extreme that wasn't all that outlandish.

January 8, 2009 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  8. AnaB

Ok, as much as I dislike Palin, I understand what she's saying about making fun of her children. To me, kids should always be off limits. If someone were to do this to my children, I'd go mama bear on them as well.

However, I feel if she was so insulted by Tina Fey and SNL, why did she go on the show in the first place?

January 8, 2009 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  9. Daryl

You have to take the good with the bad madam Governor. I mean, sure you may have gotten ridiculed, but now you're famous. All of America knows who you are.

We all know that you are that kooky Governor from Alaska who has a beautiful view of Russia while driving, well...nowhere.

January 8, 2009 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  10. Michelle

Palin, you sound so bitter. I hope you know you gave them the material to work with, and they did not make it up. You are an ignorant idiot. Cheers.\, we enjoyed this election season because of your comments. Its been a BLAST!!

January 8, 2009 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  11. Miken

Sarah, try not to sweat it...it's obvious the media demanded more of you as the Vice Presidental candidate than they did of Obama as the Presidental candidate. Barack got a freeeeeeeee ride!!

January 8, 2009 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  12. VAisforLovers

Why won't this woman just disappear. Republicans get so upset about people making fun of her or talking about her... she can't stay away from the media. But she hates them so much? Love hate relationship?!

January 8, 2009 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  13. Anne

Boo Hoo

January 8, 2009 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  14. Gerda Edwards

Gov Palin's mistake was being a conservative woman from outside the beltway. Weeks afterward, Couric continued to whine publically about the interviews, showing her true, partisan self.

With VP Cheney presiding over the Electoral College vote in the Senate, once again, Gov Palin proved herself to be correct in the duties of the VP (along with swearing in the Senate earlier this week, and accepting Obama's resignation letter from the Senate — both done by VP Cheney as the President of the Senate). One again VP-elect Biden is proved wrong in his understanding of the duties of the VP.

No one in the media mocked JFK's New England accent (a la "Mista Speaka"), but they constantly ridiculed the rural language of Gov Palin for dropping the "g" from "-ing."

Of course, it's easy for simpletons to follow simpletons, even when the facts prove otherwise. Now we're stuck with what we have, and can only "hope" that things will turn out OK. After all, that's all that Obama promised his supporters, "hope." (Scratch the "change," since he only wants Clinton's Administration appointed to help him.)

January 8, 2009 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  15. 64 in OK

Caroline Kennedy is a very smart and beautiful person with a law degree. That's like comparing apples and turnip greens.

January 8, 2009 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  16. GK

I think it will make sense for Palin to retire back to Alaska and try increasing her intelligence. Couric did nothing wrong. As someone said earlier, probably Palin wanted Couric to ask her the shades of her lip-stick, etc.
    Pathetic !!!! Undoubtedly one of the worst picks for VP.

January 8, 2009 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  17. Marcus in CA

Why are people still interviewing her... I thought her political career was over already!

January 8, 2009 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  18. Mike Dallas

'But when you make a suggestion like that that attacks a kid, it kills me."

When will Miss Alaskan Anal Sphinceter learn to stop with the moose flatulence?

When "kids" engage in unprotected sex that results in a "blessing", then when the "blessing" arrives and they are responsible for the newborn(as opposed to giving the "blessing" up for adoption) then the "kids" become adults. They are now fair game.

And we adults would like to know if the two high-school drop-outs have had the shotgun wedding yet?

January 8, 2009 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  19. dcs

Please stop blaming everyone else for your poor performance during your 12 week campaign. As you said in an invterview.... "On November 4th we would see Gods will." Now shut up and move on!

January 8, 2009 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  20. helen

Good for you Sarah. I thought Couric was extremely unfair in her interview with Palin. I doubt Couric will treat Kennedy so harshly

January 8, 2009 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  21. Eric from Ohio

Sarah,

Your bad policies, non-understanding of issues, and your corrupt scandals in Alaska exploited you more than anything. Not to mention the high school dropout Levi and his meth dealing mom that you have been palling around with. If you are honest with yourself and you take a good hard look in the mirror I betch ya you will only see one person to take digs at. I hope you run in 2012 and 2016 because it will be an easy victory for the Democrats.

January 8, 2009 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  22. Aaron G

Oh come off of it Palin. You were ridiculed because you came of looking like an idiot. Anyone would have been for your terrible performance. Stop blaming other people for your faults. And no, the magazine question was a completely normal and fair question. Couric NEVER said "Up there." She asked what do you read, which is actually an important question as that could impact or reflect on a politicians viewpoint.

now please, get out and stay out of the headlines.

January 8, 2009 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  23. bob

c'mon now!

January 8, 2009 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  24. hayley

Oh please...is she giving herself credit for the success of these two already successful women? Is there nothing she won't do to keep herself in the news?

January 8, 2009 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  25. Jeffrey , TX

She is history and always will....

January 8, 2009 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66