January 9th, 2009

Obama comes down against BCS

Florida beat Oklahoma in Thursdays BCS Championship game.  Obama favors a playoff system instead.
Florida beat Oklahoma in Thursdays BCS Championship game. Obama favors a playoff system instead.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Details of President-elect Barack Obama’s multi-billion dollar economic stimulus plan might still be murky, but his position on the hottest topic in the world of college football certainly is not.

“We need a playoff,” Obama told reporters after being asked about Florida’s 24-14 victory over Oklahoma in Thursday night’s BCS Championship game. "If I'm Utah, or if I'm USC or if I'm Texas, I might still have some quibbles.”

Florida, Oklahoma and Texas all finished the season with one loss. Texas actually handed Oklahoma its one defeat in October on a neutral field. When the BCS computer system put Florida and Oklahoma in this year’s national championship game, the annual back and forth over whether to have a college football playoff system was reignited. Utah was the only college football team to finish the season undefeated but its conference is considered less competitive and therefore was put at a statistical disadvantage in the BCS.

Friday was not the first time Obama stated his preference for a playoff system.

Related: BCS is a political football in 2009

"It would add three extra weeks to the season," Obama said in a interview on CBS’ 60 Minutes just after the election. "You could trim back on the regular season. I don't know any serious fan of college football who has disagreed with me on this. So, I'm going to throw my weight around a little bit. I think it's the right thing to do."

The night before Election Day both Sen. John McCain and Obama made brief appearances during Monday Night Football. “I'm fed up with these computer rankings and this that and the other. Get eight teams - the top eight teams right at the end. You got a playoff. Decide on a national champion,” he said then.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Tom

Yep

January 9, 2009 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  2. vincent - phoenix

as the attatcks begin from all of the usual
    "we hate Obama no matter what comes out of his mouth crowd"

Please remember ... we are speaking hypotheticals about a college sport...

okay...

GO!

January 9, 2009 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  3. Barb

This needs to be worked out immediately!! This needs to be amended before it hits a crisis situation!!

January 9, 2009 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  4. Rick

"If I'm Utah, or if I'm USC or if I'm Texas, I might still have some quibbles.”

I agree. But I also hope that in dealing with Congress, the large executive branch bureacracy (sic) and foreign governments, he's a little more forceful and direct. Nothing wrong with coming out here and just saying the current system stinks and last night's game was as meaningless as all the other bowl games – that's throwing your weight around a little bit.

January 9, 2009 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  5. Jay

I agree, this system sucks... If i was Utah I wouldn't just have quibbles I'd be PISSED off!

January 9, 2009 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  6. ute fan

Thanks Obama. Maybe Utah and Florida needed to play for a championship. Urban against his old team, great game!!

January 9, 2009 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  7. KATHSTER

ATTENTION MEDIA!!! PLEASE STOP REPORTING ON THIS WOMAN AND, HOPEFULLY, SHE WILL GO BACK TO MOOSE HUNTING.

January 9, 2009 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  8. Tony

You shouldn't be commenting on this, Obama. There's only one president at a time.

January 9, 2009 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  9. Patrick Fulp

The BCS is a computer game, like PS1-3. If the BCS is allowed to pick teams we may as well settle it with video games and cancel the whole season.

January 9, 2009 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  10. cabianni

So

January 9, 2009 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  11. The Voice of Reason

The BCS is symptematic with what is politically wrong in this country.

We all know that a playoff is the only proper solution and yet we've been dancing around that FACT for 15 years or more.

January 9, 2009 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  12. Real Change

It's an interesting depate over whether this is an appropriate roll from government. I say it is. The proper roll for government is to protect and defend the interest of the governed. Here is a case where the interests of a few (the big conferences and the bowls) run rough-shod over the interests of literally millions (all the fans, all the athletes all the networks etc etc etc.) To say that government should stay out of it and simply allow that to continue is placing brain dead idiology over practical reason. This situation is an outrage, everbody knows it is wrong, and the only way it is EVER going to change is if somebody with more power forces the change upon the vested interests.
    Sounds like good government to me.

January 9, 2009 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  13. S Callahan

Imagine....

January 9, 2009 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  14. Objective thinking

Blaming Bush for the BCS and other Bush-bashing in 3... 2... 1...

January 9, 2009 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  15. Randall from FL

Frankly I don't care what his opinion is on college football. I'm more concerned about his schemes to spend our nation into the poor house.

January 9, 2009 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  16. Boston Irish

Should this really be a priority concern for him? I think not. Surely there are numerous things that are MUCH more important in his life right now. Like the economy (or lack of it). Why not make a comment regarding the situation with Israel. That is much more deserving than three more weeks of college football because he thinks there should be a playoff. PE, get your act in gear and comment on something relevant.

January 9, 2009 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  17. Jon

I like sports, but college football is a joke. Obama is right.

January 9, 2009 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  18. I disagree

I disagree because I love watching my teams play – and sometimes they lay it all out on the line in that last Bowl game, and it is exciting football! I think college football should give these players their 'last hoorah' – and not change the system to just be a copy of the professional program!

January 9, 2009 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  19. We're NOT "your friends"!!!

I agree with Prez-elect Obama 10,000%. The BSC system is asinine! How is it that an undefeated team dosn't have a shot at winning the title. I'd watch more games if it was a playoff system, I caught one bowl game the entire "bowl season". BCS sucks!

January 9, 2009 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  20. Alan

Obama is monitoring the situation in Gaza and he is monitoring the economy, but now he has the time to solve the BCS mess. I guess the mid-east crisis and the economy are above his pay grade (his words not mine) but maybe he was elected to bring change to college football!!!

January 9, 2009 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  21. DP

The BCS is what it is and needs to stay that way. Our government needs to stay out of this. They already waste enough of our tax dollars. They have no business telling the NCAA how to do it either. It is like the government telling someone how to run their business. With all of the issues today, this should be the last thing they worry about. College football does not support a playoff system. There is too much money in the bowl scenarios to resort to a playoff. The only change that might be logical is the Plus One scenario where the top four teams play and the winner of the two games plays each other for the championship.

January 9, 2009 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  22. Jan

If Obama would ever take questions, we might have an idea what he is planning with his left agenda–he can't seem to walk and chew gum at the same time.

January 9, 2009 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  23. Charles L. Shaw, Liverpool, NY

This is news worthy? OMG what the BCS does sure will impact all of the American Citizens who are loosing their jobs, homes and dignity. Lets stay focused here CNN, American children are going to sleep every night hungry.
    Who cares about the entertainment sports industry and how they run their business?

January 9, 2009 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  24. bryce w

Now that's a stimulus package I can get behind! Three more weeks of football. Imagine the revenue that would generate!

January 9, 2009 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  25. TexAnnie *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Okay, this is one thing I think Obama needs to drop. He's not running the BCS/
    My question to all those wanting a playoff- what is the purpose of the university system? Is it to give people an education or is it a farm system for professional football??

January 9, 2009 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |