January 9th, 2009

Obama comes down against BCS

Florida beat Oklahoma in Thursdays BCS Championship game.  Obama favors a playoff system instead.
Florida beat Oklahoma in Thursdays BCS Championship game. Obama favors a playoff system instead.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Details of President-elect Barack Obama’s multi-billion dollar economic stimulus plan might still be murky, but his position on the hottest topic in the world of college football certainly is not.

“We need a playoff,” Obama told reporters after being asked about Florida’s 24-14 victory over Oklahoma in Thursday night’s BCS Championship game. "If I'm Utah, or if I'm USC or if I'm Texas, I might still have some quibbles.”

Florida, Oklahoma and Texas all finished the season with one loss. Texas actually handed Oklahoma its one defeat in October on a neutral field. When the BCS computer system put Florida and Oklahoma in this year’s national championship game, the annual back and forth over whether to have a college football playoff system was reignited. Utah was the only college football team to finish the season undefeated but its conference is considered less competitive and therefore was put at a statistical disadvantage in the BCS.

Friday was not the first time Obama stated his preference for a playoff system.

Related: BCS is a political football in 2009

"It would add three extra weeks to the season," Obama said in a interview on CBS’ 60 Minutes just after the election. "You could trim back on the regular season. I don't know any serious fan of college football who has disagreed with me on this. So, I'm going to throw my weight around a little bit. I think it's the right thing to do."

The night before Election Day both Sen. John McCain and Obama made brief appearances during Monday Night Football. “I'm fed up with these computer rankings and this that and the other. Get eight teams - the top eight teams right at the end. You got a playoff. Decide on a national champion,” he said then.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Mike

Our country is in the middle of a crippling recession and the President-elect is concerned about the BCS? If this is any inkling to his future concerns, we are in for a very bumpy ride during the next four years.

January 9, 2009 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  2. kuku

hey, i kind agree with Mrs.president.

January 9, 2009 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  3. biff

BCS stinks. A bowl game is just another useless exhibition game.

January 9, 2009 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  4. Susan

I agree with Obama on this.
    Utah is penalized for being in less competitive conference. They played like champions this season. Playoff is the best solution.

January 9, 2009 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  5. Mike

Mr president. just a FYI... politics and sports dont mix.. last thing i want to do is to go to espn and read about what our president said about the system.

January 9, 2009 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  6. Noah

This guy just cannot help himself from attempting to let government invade every aspect of the private sector.

January 9, 2009 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  7. Tim

Really. Where does he stand on one-ply versus two-ply toilet paper?

CNN, you are a joke.

January 9, 2009 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  8. Morgan

I'm a serious fan and agree! PLAYOFF!!!! Settle it on the field and not by computers.

January 9, 2009 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  9. demwit

Guess I'm not one of those "serious fans of college football"...

January 9, 2009 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  10. tired of corporate politics

I am so glad to hear this! This is so important! I was getting tired of all that nasty Gaza violence in the news.

Yes I am being sarcastic.

It might be nice if Obama had a concrete opninion on Gaza and his support of Israel, as he promised there in Israle during the campaign trip.

January 9, 2009 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  11. Terry

Football is more exciting that golf because it does have cheerleaders. Football is more exciting than bowling because anything is more exciting that bowling. Finally, let me say that the restaurants and movies are not crowded during the Super Bowl, so the wife and I always take in a movie and dinner on Super Bowl Sunday.

While I can say those positive things about football, I do not want a longer football season. So far this year, I have missed several Simpson re-runs and some good Law and Order episodes were pre-empted by football as well. That is just not right.

January 9, 2009 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  12. Tyler

Now this is one subject I can agree with Obama.

January 9, 2009 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  13. Mike

I couldn't agree more. It makes no sense to have some computer program pick who will play the championship. Have a playoff and let the true champion be determined!

January 9, 2009 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  14. Joe in DE

If there was a playoff, there would still be complaints about the teams selected and the opponents scheduled.

The BCS is not perfect, but the bowl results this year seem to all were in the right bowl for including Texas luck to win against Ohio State..

I reseerve the right to make my own conclusion about the best team This year in am split between Florida & USC.. The people who think that they can create an infallable system are kidding themselves.

January 9, 2009 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  15. Tim Tebow

At least he has priorities straight...

January 9, 2009 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  16. MD

Oh, well I'm sure it will all be resolved now that Obama has given his opinion. Now about Hamas.....

January 9, 2009 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  17. Venia

I am all for it and love the fact that he is so well rounded.

January 9, 2009 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  18. Brendan H., San Antonio, TX

Southern Cal would knock the snot out of either of these teams and Utah as well – this from a Notre Dame fan, too!!!

January 9, 2009 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  19. Charlie in Maine

Man is there nothing tis guy isn't right about? Seriously I am sure there is but this in change we can really believe in.

January 9, 2009 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  20. Stacy from Leesburg VA

This is yet another issue I agree with President Obama on! The BCS farce is a money making ponsi scheme for the conferences involved so they don’t have to share corporate profits with the schools that, in their opinion, “don’t deserve it.” It steals opportunity away from schools such as Utah and its athletes, who deserve a chance at a title, but will never get it under the current system. Every other NCAA sport has a playoff and the lowering rankings of football even have a playoff, but not the payoff.

Instead, we are treated to the same overhyped and undeserving schools, like Ohio State, that go to these games every year and lose…but make a boatload of free cash to do so. It is a system rooted in greed and corruption, not in the national interest of determining a real national champion.

January 9, 2009 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  21. Ricardo

Please, we have to stop using the current, idiotic BCS formulas and move to playoffs.

January 9, 2009 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  22. Devon Cloud

Go Get 'em Obama!!!!... but please make sure I still have a job to come to first please.

January 9, 2009 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  23. Puff

Gee, I wish he would have gone into sports instead of politics so he could stick with something he knows.

January 9, 2009 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  24. Jaimon

Save us Barack! Oh lawdy, save us from the BCS!

January 9, 2009 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  25. Bob the Observer

Mr. President Elect:

You've got much bigger fish to fry. After we have our foreign and domestic policy straightened out, and medical care is affordable, then maybe we can worry about children's games. OK.

Best of luck to you, President-Elect Obama. But keep the main thing the main thing.

January 9, 2009 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |