January 9th, 2009

Powell not looking for administration job

Powell says he doesn't want a post in the Obama administration.
Powell says he doesn't want a post in the Obama administration.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Former Secretary of State Colin Powell told reporters Friday that he enjoys his private life, and that he does not want a job with the incoming administration.

Powell, who crossed party lines weeks before the general election to endorse Obama, has said before that he is not interested in working for the soon-to-be president. Powell is currently an honorary co-chair of Obama’s Presidential Inaugural Committee.

“I am very happy in private life, thank you very much, and I'm trying to be as helpful as I can to the president-elect and the vice president-elect,” Powell told reporters Friday. “I look forward to assisting in anyway that I can, but I have not been offered a job, and I've kind of made it clear that I am not looking for a position.”

Powell also praised incoming Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, and called her “the most distinguished public servant.”

“I am a very close friend of hers, and I congratulate her selection and appointment as Secretary of State,” Powell said. “I think she'll do a very, very - a very, very fine job.”

Powell spoke at a Washington event Friday unveiling an Obama community service program and the web site USAservice.org, an online tool to publicize available service projects and connect volunteers with non-profit organizations.

1. janet, ohio

Bob - here's my conclusion: you have way too much time on your hands, buddy

January 9, 2009 11:48 pm at 11:48 pm |
  2. Eloise

I lost respect for you supporting Obama Powell! Don't call yourself a Republican and don't let others call you one either. Stay away from the light!

January 9, 2009 11:48 pm at 11:48 pm |
  3. John

I am truly dismayed by all the bile I see here for Mr. Powell. For everything that he's done for this country, the doors he helped open for African Americans, and his decades of public service, he deserves better than this, and I am ashamed by what so many here have to say.

And yes, he erred in going before the U.N. with the intelligence he had in hand. But he erred on the side of doing the job he was asked to do, and trusting those in leadership positions above him. Bush, Cheney, and Rumsfeld used Powell's reputation and clout to push their agenda, that much is obvious now. It is also obvious to anyone paying attention that Powell was the lone voice of reason in Bush's inner circle; An inner circle that ignored every tenant of the "Powell Doctrine" when they took us to war.

He is an honorable and decent man who did the right thing by resigning when it became apparent that he had helped advance an unjustified war. If anyone deserves our forgiveness, it is Colon Powell.

January 10, 2009 12:13 am at 12:13 am |
  4. Khiong

Whatever negative comment may be said about Mr. Powell, he has both the guts and integrity to live with conviction.

January 10, 2009 01:12 am at 1:12 am |
  5. Secular Nation

If Powell hadn't fall into Bush's trap by joining him in his administration , he could have been the president today. A well calculated move by Bush to avoid a potential contender to run against him. Then they killed his legacy by throwing in into the well by letting him make the presentation of fake intelligence reports on the wmd in Iraq. There is no such things as being a " good trooper" in politics.

At least he get back at some by backing Obama. And now supporting Clinton. Quite a switch from a republican.

He should be the secretary of state for Obama's second term. Obama will tire of Hillary in four years. Obviously, Bill did.

January 10, 2009 01:18 am at 1:18 am |