January 9th, 2009

Powell not looking for administration job

Powell says he doesn't want a post in the Obama administration.
Powell says he doesn't want a post in the Obama administration.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Former Secretary of State Colin Powell told reporters Friday that he enjoys his private life, and that he does not want a job with the incoming administration.

Powell, who crossed party lines weeks before the general election to endorse Obama, has said before that he is not interested in working for the soon-to-be president. Powell is currently an honorary co-chair of Obama’s Presidential Inaugural Committee.

“I am very happy in private life, thank you very much, and I'm trying to be as helpful as I can to the president-elect and the vice president-elect,” Powell told reporters Friday. “I look forward to assisting in anyway that I can, but I have not been offered a job, and I've kind of made it clear that I am not looking for a position.”

Powell also praised incoming Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, and called her “the most distinguished public servant.”

“I am a very close friend of hers, and I congratulate her selection and appointment as Secretary of State,” Powell said. “I think she'll do a very, very - a very, very fine job.”

Powell spoke at a Washington event Friday unveiling an Obama community service program and the web site USAservice.org, an online tool to publicize available service projects and connect volunteers with non-profit organizations.

1. A Woman In California For Obama

Even though they tried to ridicule you Mr. Powell-YOU came out strong. Many were jealous of your endorsement. Keep tight to your convictions and stay out of this administration. That would only make you a hypocrite. If you are a true republican and I think you are-you are doing the right thing.

January 9, 2009 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  2. MikeH

Powell is damaged goods.

He prostituted himself for Bush and got a political STD for his efforts.

Let him stay in private practice of whatever it is he does these days.

January 9, 2009 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  3. jim phx

I suspect that Gen. Powell would not have been appointed "honorary co-chair" if he had given his support to McCain. Partisan handouts are not exclusive to the Republicans.

January 9, 2009 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  4. Pepou

I would love to see Colin Powell in the Obama administration. He has a lot to offer.

January 9, 2009 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  5. Doug

It is good he is not seeking, they think is a a Bush Republican.

January 9, 2009 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  6. Brooklyn

Why would he be looking for a job?

He already served our Nation. Another waste of ink.

January 9, 2009 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  7. Fay Tx

Colin Powell is a Honorable Man

January 9, 2009 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  8. Ellie

We NEED Gen. Collin in this Administration. He's got the military and political saavy that we need. He's cool as a cucumber, like someone else we know and he's very, VERY smooth and charismatic.

January 9, 2009 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  9. boered1

a good amn and a great leader it is a shame that we cannot use him in this administration we need all the help we can get to clean up after the bushes

idiots

January 9, 2009 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  10. rachel

Hmm he is a close friend of Hillary? who would have thought that. I mean during the primaries Hillary and Bill were villified as racists wonder why her very good friend didn't speak up for her or did I miss when he spoke up about that.

January 9, 2009 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  11. Robert

Powell is an honourable man!!

January 9, 2009 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  12. Flo

I was hoping Colin Powell would be considered for the CIA position but I understand sometime you need someone from the outside to see things with a fresh eye. I think Leon Pinneta will do a great job.

Obama will do the right thing for this country. I wish folks would step back and take a deep breath then they would see he has the smarts to navigate through the muck.

January 9, 2009 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  13. dave

damaged goods, indeed. he shouldn't have presented something that he was uncertain of. especially of that magnitude. he could've refused. caused a stink. stepped down, whatever. think about it. if he did and things played out the way they have, we might be saying president elect powell, but no. his gamble. his loss. also, isn't this the 3rd or 4th time he's said he's not looking for an administration job. yeah. i believe that.

January 9, 2009 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  14. Texas Teacher

I doubt that Powell would be interested in public life again. After the Bush fiasco, I am sure he is rather sick of political service!

If he did, would probably do a good job. I admire him for getting out of the Bush Administration once he discovered that they wrong on every issue and lying period!

January 9, 2009 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  15. Proud American

He was screwed by the Bush admin and has had enough.

January 9, 2009 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  16. Penn Voter

GO AWAY

January 9, 2009 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  17. Pat J

GOOD! At this point he is NOBODY in the scheme of things - could have been, but blew it !!!!!!!!!!!

January 9, 2009 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  18. Juan Grain

America still needs your wisdom!

January 9, 2009 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  19. Willy Brown

Powell will go any way the winds blow in his favor. Another washtonian RINO!

January 9, 2009 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  20. Vegas Barbie for Obama

I think Powell would have been an awesome Sec. of State under the Obama Administration. I know he did it once before for one of the Bush's but am sure he would do better under the far more solid leadership that PE Obama will provide.

January 9, 2009 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  21. Franklin in SC

Who cares.

January 9, 2009 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  22. Greg Hodges

Gen. Powell has too much staure in the world to be simply sitting on the sidelines while the U.S. is in such a mess. Yes; he lost some credibility for his support of Bush policies officially; but if you read between the lines he was the only one trying to stop Rumsfeld and Cheney from even more idiotic actions. You cannot allow a man with his intelligence to just fade away. Colin Powell; as a good soldier I hope and pray you will continue to serve your nation as well as you did in the legendary "Desert Storm" campaign. That kind of leadership does not come along every day.

January 9, 2009 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  23. janet, ohio

Who?

January 9, 2009 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  24. Wisest one of All

Nobody believes you collie boy! Proven Fact!

January 9, 2009 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  25. shannon

were all the war criminal spots taken in the administration.

The man lied before the UN to get us into Iraq, why is he still in the public eye, he should be haning his head in shame.

January 9, 2009 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |