January 9th, 2009

Powell not looking for administration job

Powell says he doesn't want a post in the Obama administration.
Powell says he doesn't want a post in the Obama administration.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Former Secretary of State Colin Powell told reporters Friday that he enjoys his private life, and that he does not want a job with the incoming administration.

Powell, who crossed party lines weeks before the general election to endorse Obama, has said before that he is not interested in working for the soon-to-be president. Powell is currently an honorary co-chair of Obama’s Presidential Inaugural Committee.

“I am very happy in private life, thank you very much, and I'm trying to be as helpful as I can to the president-elect and the vice president-elect,” Powell told reporters Friday. “I look forward to assisting in anyway that I can, but I have not been offered a job, and I've kind of made it clear that I am not looking for a position.”

Powell also praised incoming Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, and called her “the most distinguished public servant.”

“I am a very close friend of hers, and I congratulate her selection and appointment as Secretary of State,” Powell said. “I think she'll do a very, very - a very, very fine job.”

Powell spoke at a Washington event Friday unveiling an Obama community service program and the web site USAservice.org, an online tool to publicize available service projects and connect volunteers with non-profit organizations.

1. Alicia

Thank you 4Star General Powell.

Sad what the Bush administration did as a betrayal that they did not listen to the warning of 9-11 or Iraq fiasco!!!!

THANK YOU 4STAR GENERAL POWELL....A TRUE AMERICAN HERO!!!!

January 9, 2009 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  2. Remy

Powell made mistakes but he is still a person to be recognised!

January 9, 2009 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  3. Stop the Hate

No one knows quite what to make of a true, non-partisan. This country is too divided, too sick, too filled with the venom of O'Reilly, Limbaugh, & Hannity to see the value of an altruistic person.

I pray that one day we will return to being "one nation, under God," rather than the hate-filled place we have become.

January 9, 2009 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  4. Allan

You are a good man and you can serve in many ways!!

January 9, 2009 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  5. Kyu Reisch, Radcliff, Kentucky

"Go away" is the best for him.
    "Powell is damaged goods...let him stay in private life..." sounds good.
    General Powell is disgraceful person as U.S. Army.

January 9, 2009 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  6. Susan Cheslog

For Gosh sakes, Colin Powell, please make yourself available to President-Elect Obama and VP Biden. A position in the new administration filled by Colin Powell, is exactly what we need. Mr. Powell was one of the few in the Bush administration that actually made the right decisions. If Powell would have had his say, we may never have gone to war with Iraq. We need more like him, a strong, intelligent, decisive leader.

January 9, 2009 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  7. J Robinson

The best President we never had.

January 9, 2009 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  8. Old Artillery Man

Just go away. I for one have had enough of the ultimate, “go along to get along man.” I still remember you UN presentation.

January 9, 2009 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  9. Bob

A little mathematical observation...
    Comments on the Palin story...149
    Comments on all other stories...174

Draw your own conclusions..

January 9, 2009 08:37 pm at 8:37 pm |
  10. this is the year

I think this is a shame , Obama and Powell together would be an unstoppable team !!!

January 9, 2009 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  11. mom

Don't blame Powell. He did the honorable thing and resigned when it became apparent we went to war in Iraq based on lies perpetuated by the Bush administration. He is enjoying his private life and he deserves it. He is a terrific motivational speaker and I hope he continues his good work for as many years as he has the ability and strength. We could do a whole lot worse than Colin Powell.

January 9, 2009 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  12. Byron from NY

I never comment but LMAO at the comment MIkeh made. Powell is a good guy but got caught in bad situation. He's one of the most knowlegeable people in the country in turns of foreign military policy

January 9, 2009 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |
  13. bush

Bush-Cheney-rumsfeld destroyed powell.

January 9, 2009 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  14. Tom

I can't understand the animosity toward Colin Powell who has served his country and is continuing to do so. I'm a professional in the health care field and I plan on volunteering in any capacity needed on MLK Day...and will do so on a regular basis. We need as Americans to support the idea of individual responsibility and community service no matter who won the election. I'm sure John McCain, who wants what's best for America, is supporting both General Powell and President-Elect Obama.

January 9, 2009 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  15. John Starnes Tampa Florida

Since Powell's lies to the UN and Congress and the American people about WMDs were CRUCIAL to Bush being able to launch his unprovoked, illegal and immoral war on Iraq that has cost this nation dearly in both blood and treasure, while getting 1.2 MILLION Iraqis killed, this traitor belongs in a war crimes trial, not this or any other administration. That he can be "very happy in private life", with so much blood on his hands, indicates he has one cold soul. And to think that years ago I saw him as an honorable hero.

January 9, 2009 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  16. Peggy

Colin Powell went to Haiti in1994 to negociate the return of Jean Bertrand Aristide to power. Aristide was a Catholic priest in trouble with the Vatican for preaching violence before becoming president (priest-president). Colin Powell and B.Clinton knew who Aristide was but they didn't care. They had the guts to make the world believe they had returned Democracy to Haiti. Aristide was no angel.

January 9, 2009 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  17. Gene

To all those that said Powell was just kissing up to Obama by endorsing him to get a job in his administration.. and you know who you are... chew on that for a while. People always jumping to conclusions here.

January 9, 2009 08:58 pm at 8:58 pm |
  18. hastump

Powell will always respond to demand for service. He should serve as an honorary chair of....some suitable role at White House...he brings dignity and integrity to White House...perhaps he can take a command role to withdraw US forces from Iraq systematically.

January 9, 2009 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  19. LM75

Too bad. He's one of the best things the Republicans have going. I would vote for him for president in a second.

January 9, 2009 09:10 pm at 9:10 pm |
  20. Tim

Powell is as genuine as the Gaza video.

January 9, 2009 09:10 pm at 9:10 pm |
  21. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Powell states he isn't looking for a job but will be helpful in any way he can. That's more than others can say because they have no solution but they are very helpful in negativity. If you don't have a solution to our nations problems then don't be a part of the problem.

January 9, 2009 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  22. roy

Powell seems to be someone who transcends party lines and I respect him at least. Damaged goods? Last I heard the current administration screwed most of us, why is Colin any different?!

January 9, 2009 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  23. Jar

oh pity. he's too confusing anyway.

January 9, 2009 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  24. Janie

General Colin Powell is a great man. He does not deserve ANY derogatory remarks. Wish he had run for President , he would have been outstanding in such a position.

January 9, 2009 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  25. James

An American who served on behalf of the country honorably his entire career, until he also ran into the Bush Train Wreck called "a faux government". I respect Powell, and I have to say I believe his endorsement for Obama carried for more weight for at least some of the electorate then most of the others in the campaign. I know it resonated with all my friends both in and out of the military, it was much discussed and I think quite influential. To all the Powell bashers – don't discount a person and not look at the entire breadth of their career. Best of luck to you in your future endeavors Colin Powell.

January 9, 2009 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |