January 9th, 2009

Powell not looking for administration job

Powell says he doesn't want a post in the Obama administration.
Powell says he doesn't want a post in the Obama administration.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Former Secretary of State Colin Powell told reporters Friday that he enjoys his private life, and that he does not want a job with the incoming administration.

Powell, who crossed party lines weeks before the general election to endorse Obama, has said before that he is not interested in working for the soon-to-be president. Powell is currently an honorary co-chair of Obama’s Presidential Inaugural Committee.

“I am very happy in private life, thank you very much, and I'm trying to be as helpful as I can to the president-elect and the vice president-elect,” Powell told reporters Friday. “I look forward to assisting in anyway that I can, but I have not been offered a job, and I've kind of made it clear that I am not looking for a position.”

Powell also praised incoming Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, and called her “the most distinguished public servant.”

“I am a very close friend of hers, and I congratulate her selection and appointment as Secretary of State,” Powell said. “I think she'll do a very, very - a very, very fine job.”

Powell spoke at a Washington event Friday unveiling an Obama community service program and the web site USAservice.org, an online tool to publicize available service projects and connect volunteers with non-profit organizations.

1. Brenda C

Colin Powell needed to check out obama's website and he could have joined in the fun game of throwing shoes at a cutout of President Bush. Wonder what he'll say when they invite him to a game of who can spit watermelon seeds into the mouth of a cutout of obama? You're all invited to join in the fun since you love games.

January 9, 2009 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  2. Jan Illinois

Amen John S. Ditto Double from me. They would not print what I had to say about Mr. Powell , not that it was improper, it was just true. To anybody on here who takes up for this criminal. See John S. statement.

January 9, 2009 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  3. nate

Powell stepped up big time on Meet the Press when it counted. I love all the fat losers in their boxer shorts sitting there, eating their cheese doodles, typing away on their low-end Dells, criticizing everyone. Do they really think anyone cares what they think?

January 9, 2009 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  4. Jeff From Jersey

The effects of the Bush Administration no doubt.Why would he ever work for another politician after Bush and Cheney made him look like a fool in front of the UN?Heck,the whole world!Another casualty of the War in Iraq.What a shame.He could have been an even greater help to this country than he has already been.

January 9, 2009 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  5. Barry

I have to agree with many of the posts.
    Powell is irrevocably "damaged goods".
    Too bad.... he really had alot going for him.

The Iraq War has been SUCH A DISASTER!.
    And Powell got up before the U.N. with satellite photos saying
    "yeah, here's some WMD, oh...and over here, there's yet more"

Nobody should be allowed to harm this country to such an extent and EVER!!!! show his face in public again (Bush, Cheney...this means you too)

January 9, 2009 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  6. No Incumbents 2010

Well that is good for Obama, Powell has a loyalty problem.

January 9, 2009 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |
  7. Denny Sangiovanni

Peggy, Powell did a very good job in Haiti and Clinton wasn't in power at that time. So get the fact.

January 9, 2009 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |
  8. ama

You lost your bid for ever, Sir!

January 9, 2009 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  9. Purdum

He is smart enough to know he was lying to you.
    Are you smart enough to catch on? A lot of average Joes like myself knew it was a lie. Are you really thinking that a man is his position didn't know the truth. Someone said they hoped he would get the CIA job. Christ!! He should be on a plane with Cheney and Bush on the way to the Hague. He was a man I admired. Now, just a another Bush scumbag.

January 9, 2009 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  10. Merle

duuh Powell...Hillary will do AWESOME thank you!

January 9, 2009 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  11. PowWow

who is going to be the Secretary of Common Sense? the cost of 117 mile train trip because of "tradition",? why don't the spend the funds on the infractrure they are using instead? duh

January 9, 2009 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  12. William A. Schaedler from St. Louis

Had this man been a candidate for President I would have readily voted for him. But unfortunately I was not presented with that opportunity. I find the current victor to be most distasteful and arrogant. I highly doubt that he will succeed in the position.

January 9, 2009 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  13. SOUTHERN HOTTIE

Ok. So what?
    What's the big deal?

January 9, 2009 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  14. SOUTHERN HOTTIE

Huh?

To endorse someone offering a viable option than from whom wherein you loyalty lies offers naught viable option means crossing party lines?

January 9, 2009 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  15. Fred

Powell isn't a Republican, so stop saying that. He's a liberal opportunist looking for a job!

January 9, 2009 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  16. SOUTHERN HOTTIE

LET OBAMA KEEP HIS BLACKBERRY!

I NEED A PRESIDENT WHO IS CONNECTED TO ME.

US.

January 9, 2009 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  17. Bimmer

Powell is like a towel. Overated. What did he accomplish when he was in Bush admin?

January 9, 2009 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  18. Don

Colin Powell is and will ever be an honorable man. It's a shame that the rest of the conservative/Republican ilk can't be more like him.

January 9, 2009 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  19. S Callahan

I don't think Powell 'initally' knew about the lies...remember...he did leave the adminstration...and my view he did this when he 'knew' things were lies or wronged. Look back in his past media speeches .. he let his dissatisfaction known. Give the guy some credit....

January 9, 2009 11:00 pm at 11:00 pm |
  20. Muffet in Georgia

As long as Mr. Powell is close by to share his expertise when needed....I understand his decision. Mr. Powell you are also a distinguished public servant..

January 9, 2009 11:09 pm at 11:09 pm |
  21. Butch Dillon

Colin Powell is a very decent man, but perhaps he was too much the soldier at the wrong time. He is beyond rehabilitation for that solitary UN delivery leading up to the pointless war in Iraq. He did not do it for power or money but simply to support his commanding officer, like the good soldier he was trained to be. Unfortunately, at that time he was Secretary of State and not a soldier, with an obligation to the nation he served that far exceeded his presumed loyalty to Bush. Maybe one day he will redeem himself, but it appears that the opportunity to do so will not be given to him.

January 9, 2009 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  22. Cali Mike

Dilemma.

On one hand, I admire and respect Colin Powell. The VushAdministration wasn't very good for alot of people and he DID resign, after all, when he found out they lied to him and used him at the U.N.. Everybody makes mistakes.

But what a huge mistake. Huge.

January 9, 2009 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  23. Phil

I still think that Colin Powell is an honorable man. I can not explain why.... You can just feel it.

Bush and his dogs used Powell for their purposes. I think Powell thought he was severing his country, while the war machine used his good name. Those dogs should burn in hell.

I trusted Powell when he spoke to the UN. But I think that he was lied to just like the rest of the world.

Powell belongs in the current government.

January 9, 2009 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  24. Messiah watch

Iraq has been a stunning success no matter how it is measured. It must pain the Obama butt lickers that a free and democrat government is rising in Iraq. You Obamist are happiest when you know an oppresive and fascist regime has its foot on your throat. Your Messiah is going to place his foot on your throat on January 20th. Idiots.

January 9, 2009 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |
  25. last honets man

Colin Powell, Is a traitor to his principles and his party. The Democrats can have him.

January 9, 2009 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |