January 10th, 2009

Assessing President Bush's English language legacy

President Bush's term ends in less than two weeks.
President Bush's term ends in less than two weeks.

(CNN) - CNN's Josh Levs reveals the top phrases from President Bush's unique take on the English language.

Check out our favorite 'Bushisms'

Filed under: President Bush
  1. KJ

In a few weeks we will finally have a President who can construct a simple sentence! Bush makes Sarah Palin look like a Rhodes Scholar. I can't believe the American people voted for this guy TWICE!!
    Eight years of one disaster after the other... but HE KEPT US SAFE!! :-)I hope he goes somewhere where he can do less damage!

January 10, 2009 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  2. Christina

Yes, Bush is an idiot. Always has been and always will be, but it also speaks to the idiocracy of the American people to re-elect an idiot who had already taken great strides to ruin our economy, while showing what an extreme idiot he really is. I proudly voted for Gore, Kerry, and OBAMA. Those of you who voted for Bush are equally to blame for the current state of the union . . . .Congrats.

January 10, 2009 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  3. Bill

C'mon everybody! It's not easy to read a book upside down, he was just showing what a skilled reader he is! He did it on purpose. Stupid liberals!!!

January 10, 2009 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  4. Marcus

These Bush supporters/right wingers are hillarious. We have Kyle who can't write a coherent sentence. He uses the past tense to refer to the present.

And we have Doug who thinks a Freudian slip by Obama is the same as: "Fool me once shame on you, Fool me twice.....well you just can't fool me again." I'd like to remind people that while he was saying this he looked as confused as he did on 9-11.

No wonder our nation is in peril Doug and Kyle are allowed to vote.

January 10, 2009 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  5. Has anyone seen Paulson?

Bush,Bernachi, and Paulson are laughing all the way to the off shore bank.

January 10, 2009 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  6. A disgrace To the United States

Only in the US ...can a dumb , selfish, daddy's boy...

..fail as ...president.!! and draw a lifetime pension!!!

While ..... the rest of the country starves!!!

January 10, 2009 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  7. Victoria

Stupid is as Stupid does. Can't wait till this chuckle head is GONE!!

January 10, 2009 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  8. Mick in Mesa

This man should be put on trial for war crimes and crimes against the his oath of office and his subversion of the Constitution...

January 10, 2009 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  9. Ravi in MO

I'd have to agree with Simon. After listening to Sarah, President Bush sounds like an intellectual!

January 10, 2009 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  10. Please spare me

At least President Bush has ancestors that know and can speak the English Language. Obama's side, "We be going, My baby's Daddy, Axed instead of Asked," Oh what a tangled web we weave"

January 10, 2009 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  11. flybyshoeing

Actually Walt, we didn't elect him in 2004 either. That was Diebold. Just ask Mike Connel, oh wait, he's dead now.

January 10, 2009 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  12. Doug

Good point, Simon!

January 10, 2009 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  13. Stephen

Obama (with a teleprompter) on election night: "We're in the worst Depression of the last 100 years."

I wasn't alive, but the Joads and those from the actual Great Depression might disagree.

People misspeak and say things that aren't correct. That doesn't make them stupid. And it doesn't make their policies bad.

Bush Bashing = * YAWN *

January 10, 2009 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  14. Greg Hodges

What will Letterman and Leno do without the "Decider-In-Chief" to kick around anymore? I wonder what Shakespeare would think of what olde George W. has done to the English(?) language?

January 10, 2009 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  15. lovable liberal

Isn't it *perfect* that Duhbya's supporters here are illiterate! I'm sure they love word-salad Palin, too.

January 10, 2009 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  16. Substance over Style

President Bush is not the most eloquent speaker, we all know it. I'd prefer substance over style any day, however and hopefully most people would. Obama seems to be big on style with little substance, for example when answering questions, debating or in his press releases on his plan for fixing the economy etc.

You don't have to agree with President Bush's policy, but you do have to admit, he did have substance, in his beliefs, policy and in his attempt to influence the world. I am not so sure that our President-elect/used car salesman/game show host has any substance. His senate record and his lack of any real history tend to make me wonder. I hope for the sake of the country that I am wrong.

January 10, 2009 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |