January 12th, 2009

HAPPENING NOW: Bush holds last press conference

President Bush is holding his last press conference.
President Bush is holding his last press conference.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – President Bush said Monday that a "sustainable cease-fire" in Gaza could only be accomplished when "Hamas stops firing rockets into Israel."

Bush said that the "choice is Hamas's to make." He also stated that the best way to get a sustainable cease-fire is to "work with Egypt to stop the smuggling of arms into... Gaza.

"Countries that supply weapons to Hamas have got to stop," Bush said.

Watch the event on CNN.com/live

Filed under: President Bush
  1. CanIcallyouJoe

Get out.

January 12, 2009 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  2. Ed, Santa Fe, NM

BYE BYE TO THE WAR CRIMINAL AND HIS HENCHMEN

January 12, 2009 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  3. CBC

FEAR MONGERING DOESN'T WORK ANYMORE

QUIT USING 9-11 FOR YOUR ILL GOTTEN GAINS BAGDAD BOB!

January 12, 2009 09:41 am at 9:41 am |
  4. BB

He doth protest to much.

January 12, 2009 09:41 am at 9:41 am |
  5. BB

OOPS

He doth protest too much.

January 12, 2009 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  6. fat john

He looks tired.

January 12, 2009 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  7. arc, Lugano CH

When will the United States cease their biased support of Israel? Why has the United States allowed Israel to ban independent media from Gaza?

January 12, 2009 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  8. Mike

Why is he still speaking for the USA????? He should only be speaking to the movers, to get him the Hell out of the White house!!!!!! That would be the only talk he could do without those ridicolous gesters of his!!!!

January 12, 2009 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  9. Matt

lol...that picture of Bush is priceless...I can just hear the "whatevah, I do what I want" going on in his head

January 12, 2009 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  10. chris@stl

I'm watching the conf. ... what a pathetic man! How out of touch this man is .... really pathetic.

January 12, 2009 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  11. Eric

One last chance to get on everyone's nerves.

January 12, 2009 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  12. Ed

Reporters were required to remove their shoes before entering the briefing room.

January 12, 2009 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  13. the idiot

I never knew how psychogically damaging the two Bush victorie were to the dumbocrats until i read some the insanity on these pages. Now that my candidate and party were defeated by George Soros, the unions and ACORN, I am trying to decide whether do evaluate the new administration fairly or act like a complete idiots (sorry Proud American, idion) like the dumbocrats have for the last eight years.

January 12, 2009 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  14. Irritated in Fl

Tell it like it is Mr. president. Osama thinks he can come in, talk to the terrorists and settle this matter. Yeah...right! LOL

January 12, 2009 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  15. CBC

Your ESOTERIC AGENDA and your Daddy's 'NEW WORLD ORDER' aren't going to happen.
    FEAR MONGERING and USING 9-11 as a way to CONTROL the citizens of this country through the, SO CALLED, 'threat of terrorism', won't work on the FREE WILLED, FREE THINKING people of the WORLD.

PLEASE GO AWAY

January 12, 2009 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  16. Jeff

I'm watching it right now, and all I see is an incapable soon-to-be ex-President having a pity-me party.

"Mission Accomplished".

January 12, 2009 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  17. John

good riddens, don't let the door hit you where the good lord split ya. Won't miss Dubya...

January 12, 2009 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  18. Amber

I feel very sorry for President Bush. He has spent most of this news conference defending himself and really has not taken responsibility for any of his actions during his term, but making excuses. This is disgraceful for a president to take his leave this way. History short or long term will not speak very highly of this president, I am convinced.

January 12, 2009 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  19. floridian loves Obama

I think Bush is doing a great job at the conference. I love that he can admit errors and still be proud of certain things too. I think that makes you a more balanced and healthy person. I didn't vote for him in 2000 or 2004 and I can't speculate on the difference if Gore or Kerry were Pres; I don't agree with his policies but I don't sit around bashing him but instead looking forward, the way Obama suggested in the first place in his interview with Stephanopoulos. I appreciate that even he wishes Obama well...too bad his supporters can't. I hope they realize that if the President doesn't do well, unless they are in that 1% of wealth, their lives will be affected too.

January 12, 2009 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  20. AL

Good bye Mr. President, nice to know you, NOT!!!

January 12, 2009 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  21. yota

It is good to see that the president of the US is man enough to stand up and place the blame where blame is due. Hamas started this and I hope the new administration will stand up and not bow down to the rest of the world.

January 12, 2009 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  22. greg

Thank God, Bush is making his last speach! (telling his lies) He wonders how come everything went bad on his watch as he put it.
    Just gose to show how dumb he is.

January 12, 2009 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  23. john

anybody have a shoe?

January 12, 2009 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  24. Brad Oberg USNR

OK libs. last chance. take your best shot now.... True colors

January 12, 2009 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  25. Emit R Detsaw

Arrogant and Delusional to the end!

January 12, 2009 10:05 am at 10:05 am |