January 12th, 2009

Joe the Plumber: Ban media from war

ALT TEXT

Samuel Wurzelbacher, aka Joe the Plumber, is in Israel. (Getty Images/Israeli GPO)

(CNN) – ‘Joe the Plumber’ Wurzelbacher told a group of journalists covering the conflict in Israel and Gaza that he didn’t think the media should be allowed to report on war.

“I think media should be abolished from, you know, reporting,” Wurzelbacher said. “You know, war is hell. And if you’re gonna sit there and say, ‘well, look at this atrocity,’ well you don’t know the whole story behind it half the time, so I think the media should have no business in it.”

Wurzelbacher arrived in Israel on Sunday to start a 10-day assignment for pjtv.com, a Web site run by the conservative media outlet Pajamas Media. The plumber-turned-foreign correspondent said he wanted to cover Israel’s side of the conflict, because he thought the media was slanting the story to make it look like “Israel’s being bad.”

In his first day as a reporter, Wurzelbacher described the hardships of daily life in the southern Israeli town of Sderot.

“I’m sure they’re taking quick showers, I know I would,” Wurzelbacher said. “So you can’t plan your day, you can’t take a picnic.“

Wurzelbacher said he thought Israel should have attacked Gaza sooner. He told a group of reporters that he was a “peace-loving man,” but that "when someone hits me, I'm going to unload on the boy.”

He got a first-hand taste of reality in Sderot, when his group heard sirens warning of a rocket attack. With cameras rolling, Wurzelbacher and his group ran into a shelter.

“I’m in the bunker, I’m sitting there angry, outright furious, that I’m letting this terrorist dictate what I’m going to do because they’re firing missiles,” Wurzelbacher said. “It was fear at first, then outright anger, and then me wanting some kind of retribution. I’m not a person that runs from things, but when it’s a missile, you run.”

Filed under: Joe the plumber
soundoff (1,513 Responses)
  1. Jozee

And we are listening to this Bozo, Why?

January 12, 2009 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  2. AnaB

But it's ok for HIM to be there to cover the war?

January 12, 2009 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  3. Scott the Independent

This lying unemployed, unlicensed plumber wanna bee, that was not registered to vote in the last election and has never had the credit nor the knowledge or even ability to purchase a business worth $250,000 that didn't exsist is providing a republican web site with unbiased news. Get the funk out my face. It stinks.

January 12, 2009 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  4. cswpurgeon1@cfl.rr.com

IDIOT ! Pure3 and simple....

January 12, 2009 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  5. CanIcallyouJoe

What. You're kidding, right?
    Are you.. oh... oh man, ... I think this guy is serious!

"I'm not a journalist, in fact I'm not much of anything, but I think journalists have no reason to write about accounts of war – why? – because I got scared from an armed conflict IN A WAR."

Comments such as his make me physically sick. The nerve of this man is just astronomical.

One more reason to hate this guy.

January 12, 2009 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  6. Christy

What is this moron doing over there in the first place. He has no experience in any public office or official capacity. I've seen enough of this idiot trying to capitalize on a 5 minute chat with a presidential candidate. Who is funding these trips for him? He needs to stay home, get licensed as a so-called plumber and start a real job like all the rest of us out here!

January 12, 2009 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  7. rutgier

sounds like he needs to pay a visit to North Korea too. He and Kim Jung Ill seem to have a lot in common.

January 12, 2009 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  8. Ed, Santa Fe, NM

more to the point: ban this plumber jerk from the media

January 12, 2009 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  9. Ernie in LA

What is this guy doing? He is a nobody starving for fame.

January 12, 2009 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  10. Mike in NYC

Israel shills on both sides of the aisle.

So what else is new?

January 12, 2009 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  11. Grog in Ohio

Someone needs to tell "Joe the Plumber" that freedom of the press is a part of that pesky US constitution that the Republicans haven't managed to shred to date.

8 days till the end of the Bush administration.

January 12, 2009 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  12. Tired of this!

What an idiot. Just like Bush wanting photos of U.S. soldiers' coffins censored. People who like engaging in the business of war do not want their citizens to see the true atrocities and realities of war. Perhaps a little doe of the truth is better than censoring the media and violating the rights of journalists to free speech?

January 12, 2009 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  13. Brian

Who cares?

January 12, 2009 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  14. ga.

stay in your fox hole joe.

January 12, 2009 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  15. CanIcallyouJoe

..... I cannot express my hatred of this man. Humankind as a whole does not have a word capable of describing it. "Ban media from war" – My god. Just, wow.

January 12, 2009 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  16. D-MI

Holy god,

It's official. The GOP swine are not even trying to hide it anymore: they prefer people ignorant, uninformed and unable to make decisions.

Hey Joe: do you think maybe the Palestinians are launching missiles precisely because they too are sick of "sitting there angry, outright furious" that there is an oppressive government "dictating" what they're going to do?

“It was fear at first, then outright anger, and then me wanting some kind of retribution."

Yeah, sounds like the evolution of the Palestinian movement to me.

January 12, 2009 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  17. Greg

So, given that 'logic', since he's working for a media group he should also be abolished from, you know, reporting.

What a bozo.

January 12, 2009 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  18. MSH, Miami, FL

You GO, boy.....as in GO AWAY. PLEASE. Your 15 minutes is up. Didn't you get the memo?

January 12, 2009 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  19. tony

He knows he is part of the media now, right?

January 12, 2009 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  20. Viet Vet

Think you're mad now Joe?
    Go sign the paper, get some training, put a rifle in your hands- -
    You'll get reeaaallll mad. But mad don't do it.
    By the way, if you are a war correspndent how come your not where the smokes at?

January 12, 2009 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  21. Todd

This has to be a bad joke!

January 12, 2009 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  22. dave

Amazing. He states how journalists shouldn't be allowed to report on war while he's reporting on war. He decries how journalism doesn't get the whole story in war as he is unabashedly covering only one side of the conflict. Amazing.

I wonder how the world could change if he could get out of his own head for a second and realize that when US or Israeli bombs land on others they probably feel exactly the same way he does.

January 12, 2009 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  23. Al Qaeda calling

Don't you dare check out thereligionofpeace.com.

January 12, 2009 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  24. Roger D. Whipple

How care what this liar think. Aren't his 15 minute past. Go away Joe or whatever your real name is . Just Go Away

January 12, 2009 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  25. Chop

Ban Joe What's he there for?

January 12, 2009 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |