January 12th, 2009

Joe the Plumber: Ban media from war

ALT TEXT

Samuel Wurzelbacher, aka Joe the Plumber, is in Israel. (Getty Images/Israeli GPO)

(CNN) – ‘Joe the Plumber’ Wurzelbacher told a group of journalists covering the conflict in Israel and Gaza that he didn’t think the media should be allowed to report on war.

“I think media should be abolished from, you know, reporting,” Wurzelbacher said. “You know, war is hell. And if you’re gonna sit there and say, ‘well, look at this atrocity,’ well you don’t know the whole story behind it half the time, so I think the media should have no business in it.”

Wurzelbacher arrived in Israel on Sunday to start a 10-day assignment for pjtv.com, a Web site run by the conservative media outlet Pajamas Media. The plumber-turned-foreign correspondent said he wanted to cover Israel’s side of the conflict, because he thought the media was slanting the story to make it look like “Israel’s being bad.”

In his first day as a reporter, Wurzelbacher described the hardships of daily life in the southern Israeli town of Sderot.

“I’m sure they’re taking quick showers, I know I would,” Wurzelbacher said. “So you can’t plan your day, you can’t take a picnic.“

Wurzelbacher said he thought Israel should have attacked Gaza sooner. He told a group of reporters that he was a “peace-loving man,” but that "when someone hits me, I'm going to unload on the boy.”

He got a first-hand taste of reality in Sderot, when his group heard sirens warning of a rocket attack. With cameras rolling, Wurzelbacher and his group ran into a shelter.

“I’m in the bunker, I’m sitting there angry, outright furious, that I’m letting this terrorist dictate what I’m going to do because they’re firing missiles,” Wurzelbacher said. “It was fear at first, then outright anger, and then me wanting some kind of retribution. I’m not a person that runs from things, but when it’s a missile, you run.”

Filed under: Joe the plumber
soundoff (1,513 Responses)
  1. Mike

God God man, this is too much. Joe the Friggin' Plumber. Jeez. Where is Tito the Builder these days? Is he the camaraman?

January 12, 2009 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  2. Robbie

So is Joe going to lead by example by quitting his job and going back home? It's a little ironic for a 'war reporter' to be there reporting on a war and then claiming people should not be reporting on war.

Also, thanks Joe, for summing up the horrors of war into "taking quick showers and foregoing picnics". Thanks, but that doesn't sound like war, that sounds like an average winter day here in Kentucky when the hot water is gone.

January 12, 2009 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  3. steve

I hope the GOP picks him as their new poster-boy.

January 12, 2009 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  4. MELISSA

Did his watch stop...Has this guy's 15 minutes of fame not run out yet!

January 12, 2009 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  5. TCM

haha...what's really a hoot is he's actually qualifed to be a reporter about as much as OBama's qualified to be a president.

January 12, 2009 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  6. @ NYC

I blame the highly estimed John Biggie McCain.

January 12, 2009 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  7. Kim, Boston MA

Then why are you there Joe? That's rhetorical, not that you have an (intelligent) answer.

January 12, 2009 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  8. Idiot, using the MEDIA to tell his story.

Gung Ho GI Joe. Full of suggestions....

Join the service, and then talk...

Thanks GOP for introducing us to this moron...

January 12, 2009 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  9. David

Do you know the difference between Joe the plumber and Sarah Palin?

Lipstick and it is not Sarah wearing it, that was the pit bull

January 12, 2009 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  10. anna

Somewhere EDWARD R. MURROW is turning over in his grave.

Simple-minded Joe: would you even know who that guy was???

January 12, 2009 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  11. KMAN

I'm hoping a Hamas rocket makes a direct hit on this obnoxious SOB!

January 12, 2009 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  12. John--Topock, AZ

I hope Joe the Plummer (aka War Correspondent) does not srisk going out with the American kids on patrol and "takes one" for the President.

January 12, 2009 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  13. Boris

I think Joe is absolutely right: media must have facts before reporting to general public.

January 12, 2009 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  14. WhoCares?

This whole thing with this clown is just beyond surreal.

January 12, 2009 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  15. Jose

LOL. This guy is making Palin look smart (and we all know just how hard that is). I think CNN should keep reporting on this idiot's escapades. Expose his stupidity for all the world to see.

January 12, 2009 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  16. wesley

Joe the Plumber is utmost the definition of American Idiot.

January 12, 2009 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  17. Paul C.

Will this idiot low life crawl back underneath that rock of mediocrity from which he came!? His name is SAM not JOE. He's not a licensed plumber. And the right wing enjoys using this clown to further their pitiful attempt to convince us all that they, including this moron, represent America. STOP, ENOUGH ALREADY with this idiot. I could care less if this guy was reporting on sun spots from the moon! Stop giving trash like this idiot an audience.

January 12, 2009 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  18. Gil

Just like the politicans who used him in the election Joe shows he wants only the news that makes the US look good and not the truth to be reported. What a moron. Little wonder he has been without a job for so long. Gil

January 12, 2009 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  19. Anubis

everyone give joe and sarah a break they are just trying to milk their 15mins of fame. you all would probably do the same. The real tragedy is cnn wont stop reporting on them.

January 12, 2009 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  20. Page Turner

Our lives are enlightened by knowing that the people in Israel can't go on a picnic, thanks to Joe, The Reporter.

January 12, 2009 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  21. Douglas, Los Angeles California

Take that CNN, you shouldn't be allowed to report on War or anything of that nature... because, Joe the Plummer said so.

January 12, 2009 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  22. yellow dog democrat

Hey Joe – put on a uniform – be a "real man" – and then take care of business....you are a phoney baloney!

January 12, 2009 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  23. Oh No!

ana January 12th, 2009 1:31 pm ET

Since this twit is anti-media,,,,,,,,,why don't the media follow his advice and quit covering him then maybe at long last he will GO AWAY!!
    ______________________________________________________
    I agree 100%!

January 12, 2009 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  24. JAHOOH

he is right about "You know, war is hell. And if you’re gonna sit there and say, ‘well, look at this atrocity,’ well you don’t know the whole story behind it half the time," other wise he is a moron.... who paiod to fly this guy out to israel... isnt he a plumber?

January 12, 2009 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  25. Ex-Republican

---------------
    You don't think wars should be covered by the media? So you go to cover a war and are then pissed that you are in a bunker dodging incoming missiles.

Joe, you are an absolute moron. There couldn't be a better poster child for the current GOP. You and Sarah are two pea's in a pod. You deserve each other. Please go have babies with her and send them out to give birth to a druggies baby! Then lecture us on your family values and how we should bring up our children.

January 12, 2009 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |