January 12th, 2009

Joe the Plumber: Ban media from war

ALT TEXT

Samuel Wurzelbacher, aka Joe the Plumber, is in Israel. (Getty Images/Israeli GPO)

(CNN) – ‘Joe the Plumber’ Wurzelbacher told a group of journalists covering the conflict in Israel and Gaza that he didn’t think the media should be allowed to report on war.

“I think media should be abolished from, you know, reporting,” Wurzelbacher said. “You know, war is hell. And if you’re gonna sit there and say, ‘well, look at this atrocity,’ well you don’t know the whole story behind it half the time, so I think the media should have no business in it.”

Wurzelbacher arrived in Israel on Sunday to start a 10-day assignment for pjtv.com, a Web site run by the conservative media outlet Pajamas Media. The plumber-turned-foreign correspondent said he wanted to cover Israel’s side of the conflict, because he thought the media was slanting the story to make it look like “Israel’s being bad.”

In his first day as a reporter, Wurzelbacher described the hardships of daily life in the southern Israeli town of Sderot.

“I’m sure they’re taking quick showers, I know I would,” Wurzelbacher said. “So you can’t plan your day, you can’t take a picnic.“

Wurzelbacher said he thought Israel should have attacked Gaza sooner. He told a group of reporters that he was a “peace-loving man,” but that "when someone hits me, I'm going to unload on the boy.”

He got a first-hand taste of reality in Sderot, when his group heard sirens warning of a rocket attack. With cameras rolling, Wurzelbacher and his group ran into a shelter.

“I’m in the bunker, I’m sitting there angry, outright furious, that I’m letting this terrorist dictate what I’m going to do because they’re firing missiles,” Wurzelbacher said. “It was fear at first, then outright anger, and then me wanting some kind of retribution. I’m not a person that runs from things, but when it’s a missile, you run.”

Filed under: Joe the plumber
soundoff (1,513 Responses)
  1. Mir

jason: can't you see he's his quote is about how he feels having to live like the people in Sderot every day? This is a quote representing how it FEELS to be threatened by terrorist attacks; he's not saying he shouldn't have to actually be in a bomb shelter, or implying as YOU thought that he's somehow unaware of the situation he is in. OMG, No wonder the USA thought Palin was stupid; because folks dumber than her didn't get her meaning either.

January 12, 2009 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  2. Laura

Okay, the media SHOULDN'T BE ALLOWED to report on a war:

First, then what are you doing there, Joe? Getting another 15 minutes and a few more bucks in your pocket?

Second, they shouldn't report on the war because the media doesn't get the entire story. Well, so instead no one should get ANY story whatsoever, right? Keep everyone in the dark and without ANY understanding of ANY side of it. Sure, that's much better.

And the "war is hell" line: did he make that up himself? Never heard it before.

Joe the Plumber gets dumber by the minute...

January 12, 2009 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  3. dkr

I hope he stays there!

Don't come back.

January 12, 2009 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  4. Debra

Ugh...I can't stand it!!! Is this actually what our country has evolved into...where we get our war news from a non-licensed, non-tax paying, glorified toilet plunger? If I was a plumber, I would be insulted that this idiot was representing my profession. He gives plumbers a bad name!

January 12, 2009 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  5. ran

IDIOT

January 12, 2009 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  6. C W

If Joe the Plumber really was a man of his word, he wouldn't be in Gaza pretending to be a journalist – because he thinks the media should be banned from war. Put your money where your mouth is, Joe, and get the heck out of there!

On second thought, maybe you should just paint a bullseye on your chest, stand on a hill and do us all a favor ...

January 12, 2009 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  7. T. Mckinley

The media should not be allowed to report on war? Joe the Phony is a typical right-winger. I have suspected for some time that his conversation with Barack Obama was a setup by the McCain campaign in order to try to paint Obama as a "Socialist."

The more this guy opens his mouth, the more I'm convinced he is a right-wing extreemist.

January 12, 2009 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  8. BB

Oh Man ! I say ban joe the plumber from the media. Period. End of Paragraph. What a fool he makes of himself.

January 12, 2009 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  9. What?

Joe the plumber is about as intelligent as a pea. I cannot believe that he is reporting from Isreal! Even more idiotic is that CNN is reporting on him! I think, ah, you know, that uh, the media shouldn't, huh, report on stuff, huh, because like, they don't know what they are doing, but I like think I do, so send me over and make me a star. ONLY IN AMERICA! Hypocrite and unintelligent = Joe the Plumber

January 12, 2009 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  10. xcusme

He does not want them to report. What is he doing? Oh the lighter side of war. Did not know there was one. CNN must we continue to be subjected to nonsense?

January 12, 2009 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  11. Linda

Everything that is wrong with the world is surfacing in this idiot's actions.

January 12, 2009 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  12. Patty in the CA mountains

Wow, talk about biting the hand that feeds you.....hasn't it been 15 minutes yet???

January 12, 2009 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  13. Corey

I thought this guy's 15 minutes of fame were up a long time ago. Please stop beating this dead horse and let him fade into the dark of the internet, along with fox news.

January 12, 2009 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  14. LB

Not only does Joe the Plumber get a free all expense trip there but he's getting paid for being a dumb head too. No wonder this country is in financial touble, companies waste money on stupid people like Joe.

January 12, 2009 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  15. Avi Shlomo

what is better way to inform the public about that Gaza attrocities than send an American Bubba to zionist state. I am sure he will be easy to indoctrine with hatred toward my Palestinian cousins. If there anything wrong with American, it is the like Joe who elected Bush.

January 12, 2009 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  16. tracy

I hope they pull him, what were they thinking, oh thats right it was Republicans that hired him, totally makes sense now.

January 12, 2009 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  17. Fritz

“I think media should be abolished from, you know, reporting,”... I am at a loss for words...

January 12, 2009 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  18. Farrell, Houston, Tx

I can't believe this man thinks he can dictate any policies of what anyone should do. This is a good example of why America has leaders to make policy and not dictate policy.

January 12, 2009 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  19. Eric

“I’m sure they’re taking quick showers, I know I would,”

Um, why doesn't Joe go talk to the people on the other side of the fence who had no running water before this started....

January 12, 2009 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  20. Terry, Butte, Mt

Wow, the dumb leading the dumber...

If something happens to Joe over there, the pjtv will get sued for sending a non professional to do a job he is not trained for, and by Joe's own admission a job he doesn't think anyone should be doing.

Joe, go back to Ohio and read some history books about War Propaganda, if that is too much for you then just read the book 1984.

Then maybe you will see why your comments are sooooo stupid.

At any rate, just go home!!!

January 12, 2009 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  21. Meh

Wait so...he's over there as a "journalist", but he thinks the media should be banned from reporting on wars? I see his hypocrisy is still in full bloom.
    Btw, a completely stupid idea. We have a right to see what's going on over there.

January 12, 2009 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  22. nclaw441

This guy did nothing more, nothing less than..... ask a presidential candidate a question. That there was so much comment about WHO asks a question says more about Obama, to whom the question was directed, than it ever did about this former normal citizen.

January 12, 2009 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  23. Joe Fan

Hi All, I dont think that you should be commenting on Joe the Plumber. I think he represents the view of the majority. Joe the Plumber rocks!!!!

Just kidding. Joe the plumber should be put where he belongs, a mental facility..

Joe is CRAZYY!!!!

January 12, 2009 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  24. bill b. from Stratford,Ct

I guest the media love to cover liars and hypocrites. This guy lied on the campaign trail, run around with a person( Sarah Palin) who palls around with drug dealers (levi's mother) and a guy who doesn't pay taxes or has child support and now he has a news job, please, only in (white America)

January 12, 2009 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  25. george

Can Joe read a news paper or spell the word rocket. It seems conservatives like people who will not challenge authority or look beyond the moment.

January 12, 2009 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |