January 12th, 2009

Joe the Plumber: Ban media from war

ALT TEXT

Samuel Wurzelbacher, aka Joe the Plumber, is in Israel. (Getty Images/Israeli GPO)

(CNN) – ‘Joe the Plumber’ Wurzelbacher told a group of journalists covering the conflict in Israel and Gaza that he didn’t think the media should be allowed to report on war.

“I think media should be abolished from, you know, reporting,” Wurzelbacher said. “You know, war is hell. And if you’re gonna sit there and say, ‘well, look at this atrocity,’ well you don’t know the whole story behind it half the time, so I think the media should have no business in it.”

Wurzelbacher arrived in Israel on Sunday to start a 10-day assignment for pjtv.com, a Web site run by the conservative media outlet Pajamas Media. The plumber-turned-foreign correspondent said he wanted to cover Israel’s side of the conflict, because he thought the media was slanting the story to make it look like “Israel’s being bad.”

In his first day as a reporter, Wurzelbacher described the hardships of daily life in the southern Israeli town of Sderot.

“I’m sure they’re taking quick showers, I know I would,” Wurzelbacher said. “So you can’t plan your day, you can’t take a picnic.“

Wurzelbacher said he thought Israel should have attacked Gaza sooner. He told a group of reporters that he was a “peace-loving man,” but that "when someone hits me, I'm going to unload on the boy.”

He got a first-hand taste of reality in Sderot, when his group heard sirens warning of a rocket attack. With cameras rolling, Wurzelbacher and his group ran into a shelter.

“I’m in the bunker, I’m sitting there angry, outright furious, that I’m letting this terrorist dictate what I’m going to do because they’re firing missiles,” Wurzelbacher said. “It was fear at first, then outright anger, and then me wanting some kind of retribution. I’m not a person that runs from things, but when it’s a missile, you run.”

Filed under: Joe the plumber
soundoff (1,513 Responses)
  1. Peakman

Joe, 'The Plumber' ,has more common sense than most so-called journalists and his comments are a breath of fresh air that counter the hordes of hand-wringers that never expressed one iota of concern over the many years that Southern Israeli residents were on the recieving end.

Keep up the good work Joe!

I look forward to your next piece

Be safe.

January 12, 2009 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  2. jesuino leduino rosa

Mr Joe the plumer, get a life.

January 12, 2009 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  3. Kelley

Has anyone ever seen that movie "Idiocracy?" Joe the Plumber has some scary similarities to just about everyone in that movie, right?? LOL!

January 12, 2009 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  4. Lonewolf

This has got to be a joke! Someone must have been sitting in the outhouse when this decision was made!

January 12, 2009 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  5. The Plumber/Journalist Student Union

Hey now, Joe Wurzelbacher is a decent guy who seems to have some really good insights about this. Maybe he can help bring peace to the middle east. Let's give him a chance.

Or not. Bahahahahahahaha!

January 12, 2009 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  6. A Real American

Go away Joe! Go away!

January 12, 2009 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  7. Cori from Colorado

What? The media should be banned from reporting on war? Are you kidding me? The rest of the world NEEDS to be informed on these issues, and the impacts it has us all. We need to learn about these conflicts, not hide them, or be ignorant of them. This will be written in history books for frickin sakes, and Joe the idiot plumber thinks the media has no right to be there? Joe the non-plumber, you're an a$$. What the hell are you doing there reporting on the war if the media shouldn't be there? Hypocrite loser.

January 12, 2009 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  8. dave

One would expect much more professionalism from a news service giant like, you know, Pajama Media. Ha ha... Even hard core conservatives must cringe when this guy opens his mouth.

January 12, 2009 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  9. Rick Antle

Why is a man who is not really even a plumber......now pretending to be a war correspondent? What the hell!

January 12, 2009 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  10. Jeff

Proud to be a Republican January 12th, 2009 1:42 pm ET

who is trying to ban right-wing radio? What does that have to do with Joe the plumber reporting on war (with no journalism background)? Repubs sure like their red-herrings.

January 12, 2009 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  11. dd

joe the plumber is hot

January 12, 2009 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  12. Shawn

Why attack Joe? Isn't he allowed to have an opinion? Is everyone who disagrees with you an idiot? Call for Joe's death? Are you serious? Why would you want a terrorist to kill him or anyone else? I disagree with that viewpoint but I certainly don't want anyone to kill you just because I disagree with you. He's an American who is allowed to think freely and voice his opinion just like you whether you agree or not. He's no better, no worse than you. I never understood why some folks need to attack someone who holds a different view. Stifling freedom of opinion is not good for anyone.

January 12, 2009 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  13. j.k

"I’m sure they’re taking quick showers, I know I would,” Wurzelbacher said. “So you can’t plan your day, you can’t take a picnic.“ The Palestinians dont have water to take a shower with nor do they have electricity. Taking a shower is a luxuary at this point in Gaza....

January 12, 2009 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  14. RichP

Who the hell is this guy! What is he doing and why should we care.

Oh wait! I bet he's looking for plumbing jobs that don't require the propers papers and licenses that they require here in the U.S..

January 12, 2009 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  15. Bill

Why is anyone taking "Joe" I am not even a real Plumber seriously?
    He was a bad plant that the McCain campaign tried to use to discredit Obama's economic plans since it was clear that McCain had no economic plan himself.
    This clown is irrelevent!
    As for him trying to show Israels side of the war this is another joke.
    Poor Israelis can't take a long shower or a picnic?
    Give me a break.
    How about poor palestinians have to attend the funeral of their entire family of civilians.
    Yes Hamas should stop launching rockets into Israel.
    But Israel sjhould be called to task for their completely out of proportion response to the rocket fire.

January 12, 2009 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  16. Sharon

Yea, this will improve our image overseas. NOT!

January 12, 2009 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  17. Dan

Huh.

Since when does being a plumber make you qualified to be a foreign correspondent? And since when does that make you qualified to say what the media should and should not cover? If we didn't have reporters risking their lives in the line of fire in Iraq, Bush and his people could have told us whatever they wanted for the last six years. PLEASE, CNN, let this clown fade into obscurity like he deserves...his fifteen seconds are over.

January 12, 2009 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  18. JA/TN

this guy proves my theory, that is anything sells in America, Joe get a job, in your specialty

January 12, 2009 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  19. Tom in S.A.

Why are you all so threatened by this guy, it's funny, but that's what you did to him, made him famous by continually attacking him and I don't think you're smart enough to see it. You keep doing it to Palin as well. LMAO

January 12, 2009 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  20. Brian

Why is the media even still covering this bumbling idiot??? He's a republican who voted for the republican. Does he want a medal?

Joe, do us a favor, and take your non- union, conservative self out of public life. NO ONE CARES!!!!

January 12, 2009 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  21. A Real American

I agree with Vik!

January 12, 2009 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  22. April fools day?

Hes has been a Israeli spy and plant the whole time.Dont come back Joe the Joker.

January 12, 2009 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  23. BUSH BEGONE AND NOW 75% OF AMERICA AGREES, FINALLY!

“So you can’t plan your day, you can’t take a picnic.“

With such indepth coverage, he certainly will win the Palin Journalism Award for 2009.

Now, about those "you knows"...

January 12, 2009 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  24. j

Isn't this bozo's 15 minutes of fame up yet? Has he paid his back taxes yet? I don't understand the medias fascination with this clown. His story should have been over and done with 4 months ago.

January 12, 2009 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  25. CBC

Next thing ya know, Steve Duecy (FOX) will be out of a job!

January 12, 2009 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |