January 12th, 2009

Joe the Plumber: Ban media from war

ALT TEXT

Samuel Wurzelbacher, aka Joe the Plumber, is in Israel. (Getty Images/Israeli GPO)

(CNN) – ‘Joe the Plumber’ Wurzelbacher told a group of journalists covering the conflict in Israel and Gaza that he didn’t think the media should be allowed to report on war.

“I think media should be abolished from, you know, reporting,” Wurzelbacher said. “You know, war is hell. And if you’re gonna sit there and say, ‘well, look at this atrocity,’ well you don’t know the whole story behind it half the time, so I think the media should have no business in it.”

Wurzelbacher arrived in Israel on Sunday to start a 10-day assignment for pjtv.com, a Web site run by the conservative media outlet Pajamas Media. The plumber-turned-foreign correspondent said he wanted to cover Israel’s side of the conflict, because he thought the media was slanting the story to make it look like “Israel’s being bad.”

In his first day as a reporter, Wurzelbacher described the hardships of daily life in the southern Israeli town of Sderot.

“I’m sure they’re taking quick showers, I know I would,” Wurzelbacher said. “So you can’t plan your day, you can’t take a picnic.“

Wurzelbacher said he thought Israel should have attacked Gaza sooner. He told a group of reporters that he was a “peace-loving man,” but that "when someone hits me, I'm going to unload on the boy.”

He got a first-hand taste of reality in Sderot, when his group heard sirens warning of a rocket attack. With cameras rolling, Wurzelbacher and his group ran into a shelter.

“I’m in the bunker, I’m sitting there angry, outright furious, that I’m letting this terrorist dictate what I’m going to do because they’re firing missiles,” Wurzelbacher said. “It was fear at first, then outright anger, and then me wanting some kind of retribution. I’m not a person that runs from things, but when it’s a missile, you run.”

Filed under: Joe the plumber
soundoff (1,513 Responses)
  1. DJK

Joe the Plummer 2012!!!!!

January 12, 2009 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  2. Rick

Palin/Plumber 2112!!

Think about it? He and Palin are a perfect pair....seems even on their best days neither one can make a coherent sentence. Can you imagien the debates? The hilarity would be enough to make us all forget our woes!

January 12, 2009 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  3. Scott the Independent

I think everyone is missing the point – this gig will give him foregin policy experience for his run for Senate.

January 12, 2009 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  4. Billy

Just having this ya-hoo representing a form of media is an insult to all professional journalists. It surely doesn't say much for the site that is sending him there. This guys 15 minutes were up 3 months ago. You have to be some kind of stupid to put any stock into anything this lying opportunist has to say.

January 12, 2009 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  5. Matt M.

"The media should be abolished from, you know, reporting..."

Someone get this man a) a copy of the Bill of Rights, and b) a dictionary. I don't think "abolished" means what he thinks it means. When people try to sound smarter than they really are, they usually end up sounding more stupid.

January 12, 2009 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  6. Tafari

Joe still thinks the world is flat so who cares what his thoughts on journalism are?

“I think media should be abolished from, you know, reporting,” is the dumbest thing I think I will hear all year.

January 12, 2009 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  7. Linda K.

"You can't plan a picnic." Such a shame. I'm sure the people of Gaza are having plenty of picnics, aren't they?

January 12, 2009 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  8. Chauncy

There is pause and cause to wonder if CNN actually believes that this man is newsworthy. Joe...THE IDIOT!!!!!

January 12, 2009 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  9. J.T.

Are Palin and this jack-off related. He doesn't think media should report on the war so he went to Isreal to "report on the war". These people get more stupid by the day. No excuse me: minute!

January 12, 2009 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  10. vicarkatz

Is this guy related by blood to Sarah palin or what? If he doesn't think media should be able to report on war, the what the heck is he doing there?! He's contradicting himself so clearly. He knows as much about foreign correspondence as Sarah palin knows about foreign diplomacy. You betcha!

January 12, 2009 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  11. Dale

Joe says that he does not think the media should be allowed to report on the war, but yet he goes there as a news correspondent. I am sure Fox News will be sending an offer to the worldly plumber following his pulitzer prize level reporting.

Guiding Principle Lesson that Joe and pjtv is teaching us....People unqualified to do the job should not be placed in the position; Joe the Plumber should not be a reporter, and Panetta should not be the head of the CIA.

Hey Joe, Get a job that includes the use of a plunger!

January 12, 2009 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  12. Craig

Wasn't this guy's 15 minutes up 30 minutes ago?

I'm not sure if I should laugh at him or lament the state of what journalism has become if this vapid monster is allowed to give reports on anything.

January 12, 2009 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  13. Dr Ben

Hey Joe!

The Israeli Prime Minister just called. The toilets are plugged at the Knesset!

Seriously I though this was a joke!

BEN

January 12, 2009 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  14. Mickie

Why are you even covering this idiot! Who cares what he thinks? Next he will be running for VP - give me a break. He lied in his very first public appearance and now he is a celebrity. What is this Country and our media coming to?

January 12, 2009 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  15. Rob

Here's a question to all you freaks that are saying Israel is wrong. Say the KKK set up shop in a village just outside of the south side of Chicago. Every morning they wake up and declare their desire to eliminate the African American race. Every so often they send some missles into the south side, or send a suicide bomber to blow up a park where kids are playing basketball. Maybe drive a car bomb into Trinity United Church. So then, the people on the south side retaliate. They start picking out KKK targets. One problem, the KKK, being spineless, hide out amongst non-combatants, as a result, there are heavy casualties of innocent people. How many of you would be standing up decrying the south side? Saying that the KKK people had every right to be there, and in fact saying they are justified for doing what they're doing? Bet I know what Obams would do.

Sound unreasonable? Consider that Hamas is an organization that has as one of its main goals, the destruction of Israel. Yet you sit there and say it's all Israel's fault.

So please, show your hypocrasy. Show how you are two faced. Because you know dang well that if the above situation happened, you'd be calling for the elimination of the KKK. Hmmm, maybe it's because the Jewish people are just a couple shades too light?

So CNN, ya gonna have the guts to post this?????

January 12, 2009 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  16. John Adams

Joe, you are in Israel covering the war but sayng that reporters should not cover the war. Do you realize how stupid that makes you sound? Are you in competition with Sarah Palin to see who is the most stupid person in America?

Shut up and go away. Don't you have any toilets to unclog? Leave reporting to people who have an education.

January 12, 2009 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  17. David

I think media should be abolished from reporting too, at least crap like this... back at ya joe

January 12, 2009 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  18. Brandon

Yes, this comes from an individual who publicly made a fool of himself. A plumber – not really. Sorry, if American media didn't report on war, then we'd be nothing more than a bunch of machines rooting on a ruthless warmongering administration. Oh wait!

January 12, 2009 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  19. JB

Oh my god. This man is an absolute moron.

January 12, 2009 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  20. Rory O Shea

LOL I'm with you Fritz- I was just shaking my head in disgust/disbelief as I read those words. This is the biggest joke of the century. I wonder how Anderson Cooper felt when he heard about this moron going over there....

January 12, 2009 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  21. Rob from Petersburg, IL

The GOP sure know how to pick their heroes! First a governor who couldn't name all 7 continents in the world, then a Plumber who thought that the rich shouldn't get taxed more. No wonder why so many GOP senators are dropping like flies!

January 12, 2009 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  22. sick n tired

1) His name is NOT Joe! 2) He is NOT a plumber! 3) He does NOT pay his taxes! And last but not least, he is NOT relevant and/or newsworthy by any stretch of the imagination! So let you're obvious man-crush for this guy go already CNN! How about some actual news for a change! Pathetic!!!!!!!

January 12, 2009 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  23. bob

send joe to the showers,NOW!!!!!!

January 12, 2009 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  24. MJE WPG

Joe the plumber turn news reporter and Sarah Palin the hockey mom can run for VP.
    Only in "THE GOOD OLD USA" ya woder why your in the toilet

January 12, 2009 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  25. JoePub

To "The Man" That's right, just sit there and believe that there is no slant or manipulation in the news media. Do not question anything and be a good little robot.

January 12, 2009 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |