January 12th, 2009

Joe the Plumber: Ban media from war

ALT TEXT

Samuel Wurzelbacher, aka Joe the Plumber, is in Israel. (Getty Images/Israeli GPO)

(CNN) – ‘Joe the Plumber’ Wurzelbacher told a group of journalists covering the conflict in Israel and Gaza that he didn’t think the media should be allowed to report on war.

“I think media should be abolished from, you know, reporting,” Wurzelbacher said. “You know, war is hell. And if you’re gonna sit there and say, ‘well, look at this atrocity,’ well you don’t know the whole story behind it half the time, so I think the media should have no business in it.”

Wurzelbacher arrived in Israel on Sunday to start a 10-day assignment for pjtv.com, a Web site run by the conservative media outlet Pajamas Media. The plumber-turned-foreign correspondent said he wanted to cover Israel’s side of the conflict, because he thought the media was slanting the story to make it look like “Israel’s being bad.”

In his first day as a reporter, Wurzelbacher described the hardships of daily life in the southern Israeli town of Sderot.

“I’m sure they’re taking quick showers, I know I would,” Wurzelbacher said. “So you can’t plan your day, you can’t take a picnic.“

Wurzelbacher said he thought Israel should have attacked Gaza sooner. He told a group of reporters that he was a “peace-loving man,” but that "when someone hits me, I'm going to unload on the boy.”

He got a first-hand taste of reality in Sderot, when his group heard sirens warning of a rocket attack. With cameras rolling, Wurzelbacher and his group ran into a shelter.

“I’m in the bunker, I’m sitting there angry, outright furious, that I’m letting this terrorist dictate what I’m going to do because they’re firing missiles,” Wurzelbacher said. “It was fear at first, then outright anger, and then me wanting some kind of retribution. I’m not a person that runs from things, but when it’s a missile, you run.”

Filed under: Joe the plumber
soundoff (1,513 Responses)
  1. Nan

OMG! What a jerk! He needs to slink off into the underbrush – never to be heard from again!

January 12, 2009 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  2. subreen

It's too bad Isreal do not know that the Joe the Plumber and now a wannabe journalist is hated by the majority of Americans. My guess we don't like closed-minded fools who believe their way of belief is the right one only and anyone who disagrees with them must be a socialist. This man is so racist and evil that he might actually be the biggest criticism Israel will recieve from America for allowing this uneducated man to interview and report their story.

January 12, 2009 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  3. Joe's Boss

Joe the plumber should go back to removing crap from toilets than spewing it from his mouth.

January 12, 2009 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  4. Gary

Joe the right wing nut job is certainly an idiot, but a couple of things remains true... Hamas loves death and Palestine = Frankenstein.

January 12, 2009 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  5. Biased Media

Unfortunately, Joe speaks the truth. It's unfortunate that such a large number of Americans are ignorant to the fact that they are manipulated by a biased-media.

January 12, 2009 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  6. Luc Hétu

Poor little Joe the whaterver.

He is so mad to be stuck in the bunker on the Israeli side.

He knows that in Gaza, there are no sirens, no warnings when the F18 launch the bombs. Reading his comments from Sderot, I'm sure that in Gaza his pants would be wet, or quite full. That is why he would not like to have reporters seeing the mess. Propaganda is always better than reality. Keep on plumbing! Something will come out!

January 12, 2009 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  7. Jina

...so he'd prefer that the media be banned from covering anything and the population live in ignorance, rather than thinking critically for ourselves? What are we supposed to do if we don't know what's going on in the world, fool ourselves as best as we can?

January 12, 2009 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  8. Journalism Grad

It is funny that CNN would report on something like this when they put people in front of the camera to be an anchor who have no journalism experience. It is just to get rating since they are way behind Fox. Maybe if it wasn't so biased it would be more kind to watch. Let this man have his peace. He is not disturbing y'all. If he is, don't listen or read his stuff.

9. Matt

Every time this nimwit opens his mouth, I get the sudden urge to shave his head with a razor with no shaving cream.

10. Alicia

Hey!-You know, I betch ya Sarah took the picture.....maybe thats where they both belong, in a bunker, at least they'd go away...

11. Matt S

To quote Jon Stewart,
    "Joe Wurzelbacher, a.k.a. Joe the Plumber, a.k.a GO AWAY!!!!"

12. bob

so the israelis can't take long relaxing baths or go on picnics? the gazans don't have food, water, and have bulldozers tearing down their houses. Joe, I hope you are allowed to go in gaza, take the opportunity and...

13. laura

Maybe Joe should go spend some time in Gaza so he can see what hell is really like. Is he not angry that there's a humanitarian crisis brewing over there?

14. Roberta

Joe the Plumber: Don't report on war; it cuts into MY airtime.

15. Yay GOP

What an idiot. Why would anyone listen to this guy? He has as much journalistic credibility as my office chair.

16. Dustin

I love reading the news for the day. Moreso, I love the comments that my fellow americans post. You people call JTP and Palin, morons, ignorant, blah blah blah. The comments that you post are so sad towards the state of American affairs. Look back at the hateful comments that most of you write. Does anybody actually know a whole lot about JTP? I doubt it. Wether or not you believe him to be a capable reporter, should he actually be targeted by Hamas because he believes what he believes, oddly enough I agree with him, as do so many others. I did not vote for Obama, nor do I think he will do all of the "changes" that you all fell for, but I do not want him or anyone in his cabinet killed because I dont believe in him. So, please repond with your hate towards me, I did vote for the evil Mccain, and the idiot Palin. I served honorable for eight years in the Marines, where I did hold a gun, I guess I am a baby killing, civilian beater, or whatever you want to make up about me. People please think about what you are going to write before writing it. To use an old cliche, "can't we all get along" Honestly people we better.

17. Andrew in Colorado

So.... Joe is saying he doesn't support the 1st Amendment and our Bill of Rights?

Good to know.

18. Douglas Stoddard

Wait a minute. I thought Joe the plumber was going to have a record deal? I can't believe CNN or any other media outlet would even give one sentence to talk about this total moron.
    Come on guys. This man is a waste of news space.
    Douglas Stoddard

19. tee

YOU ACCEPT A MEDIA JOB, FOR WHICH YOU ARE NOT QUALIFIED,
    THEN YOU COMPLAIN. YOU REMIND ME OF THE TYPE OF PEOPLE THEY HAVE WORKING IN THE SENATE AND CONGRESS.

GIVE ME A BREAK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. The partyguy

What a moron...he's obviously 50 years behind his time! He would have made the perfect nazi. How about Joe the Plumber goes out and finds a job..perhaps in Wasilla...where he'll be in perfect company!

21. KenaiAK

"Joe the putz" is more like it! I hope he's a better plumber than he is a journalist!

January 12, 2009 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  22. Melissa, FL

Why don't we just ban Joe the Plumber.

January 12, 2009 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  23. Dan

“I think media should be abolished from, you know, reporting,”

____________________________

Words of eloquence from Joe the Dimwit.

January 12, 2009 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  24. James B

Joe please go back to your day job. You obviously have no clue as to what you are talking about.

January 12, 2009 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  25. Karen - Jan. 20th - Can't wait

Another publicity stunt... Honestly, I don't wish the man harm but if he wants to act like a reporter which he is not, then OH WELL!

January 12, 2009 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |