January 12th, 2009

Joe the Plumber: Ban media from war

ALT TEXT

Samuel Wurzelbacher, aka Joe the Plumber, is in Israel. (Getty Images/Israeli GPO)

(CNN) – ‘Joe the Plumber’ Wurzelbacher told a group of journalists covering the conflict in Israel and Gaza that he didn’t think the media should be allowed to report on war.

“I think media should be abolished from, you know, reporting,” Wurzelbacher said. “You know, war is hell. And if you’re gonna sit there and say, ‘well, look at this atrocity,’ well you don’t know the whole story behind it half the time, so I think the media should have no business in it.”

Wurzelbacher arrived in Israel on Sunday to start a 10-day assignment for pjtv.com, a Web site run by the conservative media outlet Pajamas Media. The plumber-turned-foreign correspondent said he wanted to cover Israel’s side of the conflict, because he thought the media was slanting the story to make it look like “Israel’s being bad.”

In his first day as a reporter, Wurzelbacher described the hardships of daily life in the southern Israeli town of Sderot.

“I’m sure they’re taking quick showers, I know I would,” Wurzelbacher said. “So you can’t plan your day, you can’t take a picnic.“

Wurzelbacher said he thought Israel should have attacked Gaza sooner. He told a group of reporters that he was a “peace-loving man,” but that "when someone hits me, I'm going to unload on the boy.”

He got a first-hand taste of reality in Sderot, when his group heard sirens warning of a rocket attack. With cameras rolling, Wurzelbacher and his group ran into a shelter.

“I’m in the bunker, I’m sitting there angry, outright furious, that I’m letting this terrorist dictate what I’m going to do because they’re firing missiles,” Wurzelbacher said. “It was fear at first, then outright anger, and then me wanting some kind of retribution. I’m not a person that runs from things, but when it’s a missile, you run.”

Filed under: Joe the plumber
soundoff (1,513 Responses)
  1. Andy J, Upstate NY

Funny, CNN has time to report on Joe the Plumber, but strangely won't pick up the story about Obama's climate czar (btw, when did a 'czar' become a good thing?) being a member of a SOCIALIST group that favors one world government.

i'd love to see this posted, then see all the venom spewed by those ever so tolerant progressive liberals.

whatever.

CNN, you need to step it up. I come to cnn for laughs now, i started going elsewhere for my news. CNN is pathetic, as are the progressive socialist cheerleaders who come here for their only source of info.

January 12, 2009 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  2. jfs Memhis, Tn

Hopefully this will qualify him to be Sec of State for the State of Alaska. He could then ligitimately go to work for Sarah and get out of our faces forever !!!

January 12, 2009 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  3. Stephen

I’m in my office, I’m sitting there angry, outright furious, that I have to put up with more of this hack job.

January 12, 2009 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  4. Howie F.

If I want opinions on cleanout valves or spud gaskets, I'll ask Joe the Poopsmith. I really don't care what he has to say about ANYTHING else.

January 12, 2009 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  5. AP

Jesus. Unfriggin believable.

January 12, 2009 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  6. J-DOG

DREAM TEAM 2012 – Sarah P., President, Joe the Plumber, V.P.!!!

January 12, 2009 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  7. Torin for Lawrenceville Ga

Joe the Plumber should be referred in the future to as "Joe the Censor" or "Joe the Fascist."

January 12, 2009 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  8. Whatever

Joe the Plumber a war correspondent!? I thought we hit the bottom with Bush!

January 12, 2009 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  9. Matt

@ Chris, Oakbrook Terrace, IL

Just a minor correction, but the 1st Amendment stops at our borders...like it or not.

January 12, 2009 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  10. Milwaukee

Why doesn't Joe the Idiot go and report from Gaza? I wonder how angry he'll be when rockets start falling on him there.
    If he had any common sense he would look at the number of people killed in this conflict. The number of Palestinans killed is extremely higher than those of Israel.

January 12, 2009 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  11. Dianne

...." well you don’t know the whole story behind it half the time,..."

Katie Couric, could you schedule an interview with this moron?

He obviously doesn't live by "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

I am guessing he doesn't know the whole story behind it ALL of the time.

January 12, 2009 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  12. kgeukes

And who the hell made him king????

January 12, 2009 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  13. Carrie Goodeagle Hayden, Idaho

I Kinda feel sorry for this poor ignorant Redneck. CNN you should be ashamed of yourself, we know you are just reporting on this so people will laugh at him. You are at the top of list for National Enquirer wanna be's. The poor nut makes such a fool of himself and is totally ignorant of the fact that people are making fun of him. A serious educated reporter, he is not. And 'm beginning to wonder about CNN for reporting this kind of nonsense.

January 12, 2009 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  14. Seriously?

I would sure like to judge some you who are making fun of Joe the Plumber for his lack of education ("non-educated," ha) ,what with all of your mis-spellings and lack of proper grammar, but I wont.

More importantly, those who are speaking out pro-Palestine are again basing comments on opinions and half-facts. I will not try to convince anyone of anything, but I suggest you go to wikipedia and search for "Gaza Strip." Read the whole unbiased article, don't just skim through it, read it! Then form your own opinion.

January 12, 2009 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  15. Mathilda

Seriously? This guy is an idiot. "Israel's being bad". ? I love how 'Publicans qualify countries, i.e. "Axis of Evil", "bad guys". Effective way to start wars.

January 12, 2009 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  16. Val, Atlanta, Ga

Wonder how much they are paying him, he's so stupid they are probably doing it from free.

January 12, 2009 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  17. Joe "the office worker"

I hope they gave him a 1 way ticket.

January 12, 2009 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  18. ryan

Joe the plumber should stick to what he knows "plumbing" and keep his moth shut. He is obviously not very educated. I guess that's why he was a plumber.

January 12, 2009 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  19. Sherry

I have to wonder what damage JTP will cause for his "reporting". He sure won't be doing any good for foreign policy with his antics. My question is WHY is the various mainstream media giving him air time? Unless they are trying to show Americans what NOT to do OR are really hard up for something to report.

January 12, 2009 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  20. arc, Lugano CH

Joe The 'Conservative Republican' Plumber:

Witness your entire family murdered by Israeli soldiers using American weapons before you open your mouth.

January 12, 2009 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  21. Frank

He doesn't understand the idea of Freedom of the Press.

No surprise there.

January 12, 2009 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  22. Lucious

Wow. Ban the media? Try banning stupidity.

January 12, 2009 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  23. alvino

Does media coverage make war look bad?

January 12, 2009 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  24. Sean

Could this guy be more biased and hypocritical? He can't even hold down a real job, but claims to be a war reporter. He claims to be an American patriot, but then cheats on his taxes (which btw pays for American and Israelis soldier's armor and equipment whom he also claims to love). He discounts alleged atrocities because "you don't know the whole story half-time", which actually implies that 50% of the time the media does have the whole story and innocent people are being killed by Israelis actions.

January 12, 2009 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  25. tttman

And it gets worse. Joe should interview a gentleman I saw on the street yesterday who said, "gee, I sure hope the resolve this thing quick."

January 12, 2009 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |