January 12th, 2009

Joe the Plumber: Ban media from war

ALT TEXT

Samuel Wurzelbacher, aka Joe the Plumber, is in Israel. (Getty Images/Israeli GPO)

(CNN) – ‘Joe the Plumber’ Wurzelbacher told a group of journalists covering the conflict in Israel and Gaza that he didn’t think the media should be allowed to report on war.

“I think media should be abolished from, you know, reporting,” Wurzelbacher said. “You know, war is hell. And if you’re gonna sit there and say, ‘well, look at this atrocity,’ well you don’t know the whole story behind it half the time, so I think the media should have no business in it.”

Wurzelbacher arrived in Israel on Sunday to start a 10-day assignment for pjtv.com, a Web site run by the conservative media outlet Pajamas Media. The plumber-turned-foreign correspondent said he wanted to cover Israel’s side of the conflict, because he thought the media was slanting the story to make it look like “Israel’s being bad.”

In his first day as a reporter, Wurzelbacher described the hardships of daily life in the southern Israeli town of Sderot.

“I’m sure they’re taking quick showers, I know I would,” Wurzelbacher said. “So you can’t plan your day, you can’t take a picnic.“

Wurzelbacher said he thought Israel should have attacked Gaza sooner. He told a group of reporters that he was a “peace-loving man,” but that "when someone hits me, I'm going to unload on the boy.”

He got a first-hand taste of reality in Sderot, when his group heard sirens warning of a rocket attack. With cameras rolling, Wurzelbacher and his group ran into a shelter.

“I’m in the bunker, I’m sitting there angry, outright furious, that I’m letting this terrorist dictate what I’m going to do because they’re firing missiles,” Wurzelbacher said. “It was fear at first, then outright anger, and then me wanting some kind of retribution. I’m not a person that runs from things, but when it’s a missile, you run.”

Filed under: Joe the plumber
soundoff (1,513 Responses)
  1. John in Ohio

If he doesn't want to run from a missile, that's fine.

If he wants to go head into Gaza to take the fight to the terrorists, that's fine too.

Heck, the maximum age to join the US military is 35. "Joe" is 34. Even though he'd have to put his real name on the enlistment papers, why doesn't he go ahead and sign up and go fight terrorists for real?

January 12, 2009 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  2. Laura

People: Ban Joe the Plumber from Media

January 12, 2009 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  3. tool

I'm so intrigued by what Joe has to say about foriegn affairs. I have lived in NY all my life and it boggles my mind that OVER half the US seems to think like Joe. I'm personally not ashamed to admit I'm an extreme libral, and I find that the more conservatives I talk to the more we actually have in common. It seems we as liberals and conservatives want the same thing, we just disagree on how to get there. My personal veiw is Conservatives believe these things will come naturally without any government involment, where as I believe we need a very involved government. Good for Joe, I'll be reading his columns with an open mind because I beleive we need more "Joe" points of veiw in the media representing the conservatives not spoiled rich kid journalists......

January 12, 2009 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  4. John in Ohio

Joe the Plumber isn't too old to join the military. He looks like he's in pretty good shape. He doesn't actually have a plumber's licensed. Why doesn't he join the Army?

January 12, 2009 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  5. double standard

Jeff,

It is called the Fairness Doctrine.....look it up.

You all are missing the point.

January 12, 2009 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  6. Larry

The perfect job for Joe the Dumber – speech writer for the Wasilla Imbecilla.

January 12, 2009 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  7. Art Michaelson

Joe the P and Sarah the P are the worst common denominators of what is happening to my country. No wonder the CIVILIZED world is WORRIED in what direction this country is going RE; our values and judgement. Please Joe and Sarah crawl back into the woodwork.

January 12, 2009 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  8. AJH

Joe:

Get a plumber apprenticeship, get a plumber's license, and
    go away already. Your 15 minutes of fame are over.

January 12, 2009 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  9. Khelley

Joe the plumber is now more qualified than S palin to be the next republican VP for the next presidential election. He has traveled to Israel a plumber and comes back a war adviser. That's more than Palin can say who could see Russia from her window in Alaska. Haha! You know, every time I remember this, I laught and fart; and instead of going into hidding, she's still out there delivering more absurdities. The republican party has turned into a laughing stock.

January 12, 2009 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  10. dottie

If he doesn't think the media should report
    on the war, what's he doing there? C'mon
    Joe. Who are you trying to kid? You can
    barely speak to where anyone even knows
    what you're talking about. What a joke.

January 12, 2009 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  11. Minnesotan

“I think media should be abolished from, you know, reporting,” Wurzelbacher said. And I think that Joe the Laughable Plumber/Republican Tool, should run for office under the Fascist Party Banner. Keep them people uninformed and stoopid, Joe! Education, facts and information should only be held by the crooks who orchestrated the war and the economic collapse of America. If the average citizen doesn't know what sort of criminal activity its government and elected officials are up to, then they won't want to vote them out of office and pursue criminal complaints agains them. This is the entire mantra of the liars, crooks and cheats in the GOP who ruined America. Thank God we have the Democrats in office and Barack Obama as President! We need to end this type of criminal misconduct and make idiots like Joe the welfare Plumber go away!

January 12, 2009 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  12. Gary

Moron? Boob? nut case? idiot? tax evader? A joke?

C'mon! So joe is trying to capitalize on his fifteen minutes of fame. So what! We all do that in some way every day of our lives.

Leave him alone. He probably just a nice family man trying to get by in a world of people who have nothing better to do than drag others down.

January 12, 2009 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  13. dottie

Doesn't Joe realize everybody is
    basically laughing at him going over
    to Israel? Is he so full of himself that
    he believes that we care what he
    thinks?

January 12, 2009 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  14. Karlb

Looks like Joe's a red-blooded American hero.

He turns the media circus about his private life into fortune, goes out and covers the Gaza crisis like a true reporter (Maddow doesn't even have a journalism degree- rather a PUBLIC POLICY degree – whatever purpose that serves), and highlights the mainstream disdain for reporting on the rocket attacks on Israeli citizens in favoring of publicizing the victimization of the attackers.

What a life this guy is leading. You can almost taste the jealousy from the arm-chair commentators.

January 12, 2009 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  15. Tom

I have read no insiteful information in any of the following post. I have heard no indepth reporting form any US prime time media outlet (or others). I have read a lot of periodical information on Isreail, the palastinien area ( not even god knows what the palastinien area is), and the middle east. Can't make heads or tails of it. Plame the Britsh. But. I am not giving my trailer lot back to the American Indians. The Isralies are not going to return Isreial to anyone. The arabs are all culpaple to the palastiniens plight.. Isriela must kill Hamas, because Hamas is trying to destroy Isrieal. The palastiniens voted hamas into power – not smart. Joe – hope you can make sense of it all – none of the other blogers has. Someone please correct my spelling and then kis my .....

January 12, 2009 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  16. Brenda

Fred: For laughs, man – we read the article for laughs

January 12, 2009 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  17. Anonymous

thats what happens when you take an idiot andtry to make him what he is not, hope you did you plumbing better than this.

January 12, 2009 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  18. Rufus Johnson

He says there should be no reporters but yet he is playing one and covering the war situation? I'm thinking between him and Palin, they'd make one joke of a ticket for the next election. They both have the same mentality = zero!

January 12, 2009 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  19. still searching for true equality in america

you have got to be kidding me.. putting our heads in the sand is his answer... isnt that what the world did in regards to darfur.. and look only 450,000 darfuris were killed by their own government,, but i guess we dont know the whole story, maybe they wanted to be raped and burned to death..

great idea you got there joe the unemployed bum!

get a job.

January 12, 2009 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  20. Missy in Kentucky

How can anyone take this man seriously? Heck, he isn't even a real plumber. He is soooo starved for attention. It makes me sick anyone would give this self promoter any attention at all. Go away, Joe the Fake!

January 12, 2009 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  21. Brenda

A quote from the 'peace-loving man':

Wow – it's like he's channeling Ghandi

January 12, 2009 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  22. Mike

So life in an Israeli town is hard when someone fires unguided bottle rockets and they take short showers? "Joe", go report from inside Gaza and then tell us how hard life is for the Palestinians. After all how can you fairly and accurately report from just one side of the fence or does the though of guided munitions into a school, hotel or apartment building frighten you a bit too much?

January 12, 2009 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  23. McCrazy

Can we offer him as target practice for the Hamas rocket attack?

January 12, 2009 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  24. Syed

Now you know who John McCain and Sarah Palin worships. Election is over, but this guy just started. Very sad how media even has not trashed this idiot. This fool, not the media, should be ignored fully.

Cheers.

S

January 12, 2009 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  25. Diana Ewing NJ

Is Joe the Plumberk, book??? writer, reporter correct? Should we all be kept in the dark to what is happening... is that his message???

January 12, 2009 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |