January 12th, 2009

Joe the Plumber: Ban media from war

ALT TEXT

Samuel Wurzelbacher, aka Joe the Plumber, is in Israel. (Getty Images/Israeli GPO)

(CNN) – ‘Joe the Plumber’ Wurzelbacher told a group of journalists covering the conflict in Israel and Gaza that he didn’t think the media should be allowed to report on war.

“I think media should be abolished from, you know, reporting,” Wurzelbacher said. “You know, war is hell. And if you’re gonna sit there and say, ‘well, look at this atrocity,’ well you don’t know the whole story behind it half the time, so I think the media should have no business in it.”

Wurzelbacher arrived in Israel on Sunday to start a 10-day assignment for pjtv.com, a Web site run by the conservative media outlet Pajamas Media. The plumber-turned-foreign correspondent said he wanted to cover Israel’s side of the conflict, because he thought the media was slanting the story to make it look like “Israel’s being bad.”

In his first day as a reporter, Wurzelbacher described the hardships of daily life in the southern Israeli town of Sderot.

“I’m sure they’re taking quick showers, I know I would,” Wurzelbacher said. “So you can’t plan your day, you can’t take a picnic.“

Wurzelbacher said he thought Israel should have attacked Gaza sooner. He told a group of reporters that he was a “peace-loving man,” but that "when someone hits me, I'm going to unload on the boy.”

He got a first-hand taste of reality in Sderot, when his group heard sirens warning of a rocket attack. With cameras rolling, Wurzelbacher and his group ran into a shelter.

“I’m in the bunker, I’m sitting there angry, outright furious, that I’m letting this terrorist dictate what I’m going to do because they’re firing missiles,” Wurzelbacher said. “It was fear at first, then outright anger, and then me wanting some kind of retribution. I’m not a person that runs from things, but when it’s a missile, you run.”

Filed under: Joe the plumber
soundoff (1,513 Responses)
  1. RG

Hey Joe, don't you have plumbing to do? The campaign is over.

January 12, 2009 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  2. Arvidel

Wow, what a belligerent dirtbag this Joe guy is. This conflict is not as simple as rooting for your favorite football team, Joe. What Joe and so many others fail to realize is that innocent Palestinian people just like you and I are bearing the heaviest burden of this conflict. Women and children are being bombed and burned. Many of these displaced Palestinians literally have nowhere safe to go while this war continues. I understand that Israel has been terrorized by rocket attacks for quite some time, but this current Israeli aggression is far costlier in terms of treasure and blood. Either way, a wise man once proclaimed that you cannot fight violence with violence, you can only fight violence with love. Something to think about while watching this bald-headed tax-evader.

January 12, 2009 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  3. Kryp

What a real joke he is! Unfair to Israel?! Did the GOP put him up to this? Who appointed him special envoy? If he doesn't watch his tail, his journalism career will be short lived.

January 12, 2009 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  4. Obama's not my Hero

@James in Utah January 12th, 2009 4:27 pm ET

Maybe Joe can see Isreal from his front porch.
    -----------------------------

He is in Ohio you big dummy!!!!

January 12, 2009 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  5. AflacGa

I couldn't agree more with the first article response. He's doing far more than contradicting himself. People like him just continue the cycle...

January 12, 2009 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  6. Humored in Texas

Here's living proof that the Indian screwed the buffalo!

January 12, 2009 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  7. j,v

what joe is saying is a great idea. way back when veitnam was going on we may have seen a flash of what was going on. then the press said its our right to go there. and bring this home . if you ask me it streeses people out !we shouldint allow it! i agree it starts arguements between people, leave it where it is WE DONT NEED IT COMING INTO OUR HOMES! !

January 12, 2009 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  8. enbrelbetterthanheroin

Keep talking, Joe! You continue to show us why you, and republicans at the moment, are irrelevant.

January 12, 2009 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  9. Is it just me or does he look just like the guy from Ghost Hunters

Hmmmmmm........the guy from ghost hunters is a plumber......Joe the plumber is a plumber............TWINS???

Inquiring minds want to know!!!

January 12, 2009 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  10. Salt & Pepper

So, now he's a "journalist" just like he was a true plumber? LOL Hilarious! Has he fixed any toilets yet!?

January 12, 2009 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  11. WC

What a complete waste of my time.

January 12, 2009 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  12. Idiot

So...He wants the media out because they don't know what is going on half the time, so we can not know what is going on all the time?

....Makes sense to me

-Idiot

January 12, 2009 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  13. Mara

Wonder if he paid his back child support behind he took this "vacation."

January 12, 2009 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  14. Darth Vadik, CA

Obama's not my Hero,

You're not very bright, are you?

January 12, 2009 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  15. Darth Vadik, CA

Obama's not my Hero,

sorry forgot to add, because you don't seem to get it, James in Utah made fun of Joe and Palin at the same time.

January 12, 2009 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  16. Douglas Babb

"Not only is there no god, but try getting a plumber on weekends."
    – Woody Allen

douglas babb_princeton_ky

January 12, 2009 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  17. Joyce

Does this guy really expect to be taken seriously?

January 12, 2009 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  18. Anonymous

Is there a reason we're supposed to care what uneducated, unemployed 15 minute celebrities care about foreign policy? Great article, CNN. Really insightful.

January 12, 2009 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  19. Juan Grain

Joe I am glad you are over there because you need to be educated, and while you run your mouth alot about stuff you know nothing about, this will be good for you. You should get out more often! But make no mistake about it, You do not represent the USA, you represent someone making a dime on the misfortune and tragedy of a bad bad situation.

January 12, 2009 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  20. Larry

I think this is pretty cool,Joe calls a spade a spade in front of his house,gets national attention ,the Obama Democrats "try to burn him,even use the government to try and discredit him ,because he made Obama look like a fool"He is a ROCK STAR now,just like Obama !!

Both will gone in four years

January 12, 2009 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  21. Laura

McCain should be tried for treason for unleashing this supreme moron on the United States, along with Palin!

January 12, 2009 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  22. MsRotten

Somebody PLEASE....PLEASE.....SHOOT this moron!!!! "Friendly fire" anyone?????

January 12, 2009 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  23. Jean, Indiana

Joe the Plumber has no repect for freedom of the press. Not surprising.

January 12, 2009 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  24. sorbo1980

Dear media,

Please stop doing "Joe the Plumber" stories. He doesn't represent the views of the vast majority of Americans, as you think he does.

January 12, 2009 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  25. John

Ban Joe from the media! What does this tax dodging welfare taking fool know about anything?

January 12, 2009 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |