January 13th, 2009

Palin slams 'bored, anonymous, pathetic bloggers who lie'

Palin has given a steady stream of interviews since Election Day.
Palin has given a steady stream of interviews since Election Day.

(CNN) - Sarah Palin fired a new salvo in her war on the media, unloading in a new interview on her home state paper and “bored, anonymous, pathetic bloggers who lie.”

The Alaska governor, who has granted a steady stream of interviews since Election Day, also told an Esquire reporter that she wishes she had told McCain campaign advisors she’d be “callin’ some of the shots.”

"Bored, anonymous, pathetic bloggers who lie annoy me....I'll tell you, yesterday the Anchorage Daily News, they called again to ask — double-, triple-, quadruple-check — who is Trig's real mom,” she said, in an interview to be published in the magazine’s March issue.

“And I said, Come on, are you kidding me? We're gonna answer this? Do you not believe me or my doctor? And they said, No, it's been quite cryptic the way that my son's birth has been discussed. And I thought, Okay, more indication of continued problems in the world of journalism."

But Palin said she had adopted a philosophical attitude on the downside of the spotlight. "You have to let it go,” she said. “Even hard news sources, credible news sources — the comment about, you can see Russia from Alaska. You can! You can see Russia from Alaska. Something like that — a factual statement that was taken out of context and mocked — what you have to do is let that go."

The former Republican vice presidential candidate said again she regretted not taking a greater leadership role during the campaign season. "If I were giving advice to myself back on the day my candidacy was announced, I'd say, Tell the campaign that you'll be callin' some of the shots,” she said. “Don't just assume that they know you well enough to make all your decisions for ya. Let them know that you're the CEO of a state, you're forty-four years old, you've got a lot of great life experience that can be put to good use as a candidate."

Despite a season of barbs aimed at the coastal elites, Palin seemed to offer an olive branch to the Big Apple: "I would think we all tear up during the national anthem at the beginning of a baseball game, don't we? That's an alikeness between Alaskans and New Yorkers," she said.

Update: In an Anchorage Daily News column published last week, the paper's editor said the only questions reporters there had asked about Trig's birth came when the paper undertook a project to debunk conspiracy theories surrounding the event, but that they had abandoned the effort because of a lack of cooperation from the Palin family.

"I don't believe we have ever published in the newspaper a story, a letter, a column or anything alleging a coverup surrounding your maternity," wrote the editor in an e-mail sent to Palin and reprinted on the paper's blog. "In fact, my integrity and the integrity of the newspaper have been repeatedly attacked in national forums for our complicity in the 'coverup.'

Later, he added: "...So I don’t understand the behavior of the governor’s press office. Did the governor not share my email with the press staff? Did the press staff deliberately ignore what I said in order to have a longer list of press 'outrages'? Or are they just sloppy with details? I don’t know."

Filed under: Sarah Palin
soundoff (2,659 Responses)
  1. Ellen Sherman

She's home and she's bored. And I for one am relieved.

January 13, 2009 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  2. Lisa in New Jersey

Stoopit, moosehunting governors who lie annoy me. No one disputed that you could see Russia from Alaska. That fact just did NOT give you foreign policy credentials, you nit wit.

Go Away, WAAAAAAAAAAAAY Away!

January 13, 2009 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  3. Vik

Does anyone care who is Trigg's mama? Not I, or people I know. Why is this news? It wasn't relavent when she was running for VP, and it's not relavent now.

January 13, 2009 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  4. Victor S.

Please make it stop...I don't know how much more laughter I can take.

January 13, 2009 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  5. Mike

Oh my god. Would you please shut up already. I think we've all had enough of you and Joe the Idiot.

January 13, 2009 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  6. Gloria - Minnesota

Once again–just from these quotes–we see the ignorance of this woman! How she ever earned a degree in journalism is beyond me! They probably wanted to be done with her once and for all, so they awarded her one!

Let's hope she stays where she is!!

January 13, 2009 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  7. Kevin

I used to think Palin was a smart politician who knew how to play the political field. Now, I'm not so sure. If she knew what was best for her, she'd lay low and quit complaining. People are sick of her. She likes to complain about the media, but she doesn't hesitate to jump into the limelight, does she? This is 2008 – political bloggers are here to stay and people listen to what they have to say. She needs to realize the election is over and get over it. Also, the campaign wasn't hers to call the shots. It was John McCain's. She was the VP candidate – the side kick.

Also, CNN and other media need to stop giving this woman a soap box until she does something newsworthy again.

January 13, 2009 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  8. Come again!

Hey Caribou Barbie.....you wanted the spotlight....now take it....remember when you were instigating people to call Prez. Obama a muslim terrorist.....can't handle the taste of your own medicine huh!

January 13, 2009 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  9. AEK

Governor Snowflake is making me dizzy trying to now "spin" all of her verbal gaffes into something resembling coherence. My sources in Alaska tell me that the folks up there have "just stopped talking about her" and another Republican has already thrown his hat in the ring for her seat. Looks like her fifteen minutes are almost up! Good for us, probably bad for Rush and Billo!

January 13, 2009 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  10. Bored with Palin

Honestly. Enough already. She lost, she is not the Vice President. Her opinion does not matter, stop running stories on this woman. No one cares, no one wants to hear it, just go away.

January 13, 2009 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  11. njw

Bla, bla bla, doesn't this woman know when to STOP! She is pathetic. Go back to Alaska and stay there – no one wants to hear about you.

January 13, 2009 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  12. Kimstan

Palin....You are still around! Now fighting bloggers.
    The way you present yourself Madan Palin makes people trust you that much. You stoop, too low and I am starting to think that, this is actually your level. The way you think, the way you talk, the way you pick your fight make me wanna move move a motion to ignore all your interviews. You keep annoying me.

13. AB

Pathetic, thats what she was looking, when she was grating her teeth to remind Katie Couric, that she is not the center of universe.
    Pathetic, that is what her family looks in the face of all the controversy.
    Pathetic, was her conversation with Canadian comedians.

14. Minnesotan

"Okay, more indication of continued problems in the world of journalism." Yep. Giving this bimbo any coverage, press or air time is a definite sign of problems in the world of journalism. She's not yesterdays news; she's yesterdays fish wrap. Go away, Sarah. Maybe you can start a 'fabulous' clothing line at Wal-Mart, but your political career is over.

15. Sally

Even her own State's newspapers don't believe her.

Why does she blame everyone else?

16. Shane from NC

Why is the media so fascinated with reporting on a politician's son and not her stance on the issues? She was a serious contender for second-in-command for our country and she'll be back to play a significant role in politics whether you agree with her or not. News outlets these days have about as much influence and credibility as a tabloid or entertainment magazine.

CNN always brags about being "the most trusted news network" but they fail to acknowledge that Americans rank "the media" as one of the top ten professions/industries that they DO NOT trust. Infact they rank 2nd, right behind used car salesmen. Take that CNN: the most trusted news network. Not hardly.

17. max

Sarah, if you really plan to run in 2012-stop the blame game... You have to be thicker-skinned than you are displaying...If you pray God will help you deal with your pain and suffering. Sometimes God quiets the storms and sometimes He quiets His child. I pray that your personal relationship with Jesus will help you see you were blessed to be apart of the storm.

18. Beth

This all seems very Jr. High to me. The sad thing, Palin just keeps the pot stirred up.

19. Jim

I'm sorry, but this woman is insane. If "you just have to let it go", why doesn't she? Thank God Americans had the good sense not to elect her!

20. LM75

Why are still talking about Palin. Is this the best the Repugs can do. Get her out of here.

21. Harry M

She knows she lost right?? and no one cares ??PLEASE JUST GO AWAY!!!

22. Lillie

PLEASE GO HUNT MOOSE!! OR GO AWAY...............

23. Pete in San Francisco

Back in college, I studied attribution theory - people with low self-confidence/self-esteem attribute their successes to luck and other external causes and their failures to themselves, while people with high self-confidence/self-esteem attribute their successes to themselves and their failures to external causes. Based on this, I would say that Sarah Palin has overwhelming self-confidence and a very strong ego defense mechanism. She spends a lot of time pointing fingers at Tina Fey, Katie Couric, and the media in general and does not acknowledge that she should have been more prepared for her interviews. She could not even answer a question as simple as "what do you read?" Without studying all sides of an issue, she is confident that she knows how to proceed. What is truly sad is that this blind optimism is a characteristic she has in common with President Bush.

24. Jackson

Why do we have to continue hearing about this person on a national level? Please keep her up in Alaska.

January 13, 2009 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  25. Prashant

Well then I am sick of pathological liars like SARAH ' the Incorrigible' PALIN.

January 13, 2009 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107