January 13th, 2009

Palin slams 'bored, anonymous, pathetic bloggers who lie'

Palin has given a steady stream of interviews since Election Day.
Palin has given a steady stream of interviews since Election Day.

(CNN) - Sarah Palin fired a new salvo in her war on the media, unloading in a new interview on her home state paper and “bored, anonymous, pathetic bloggers who lie.”

The Alaska governor, who has granted a steady stream of interviews since Election Day, also told an Esquire reporter that she wishes she had told McCain campaign advisors she’d be “callin’ some of the shots.”

"Bored, anonymous, pathetic bloggers who lie annoy me....I'll tell you, yesterday the Anchorage Daily News, they called again to ask — double-, triple-, quadruple-check — who is Trig's real mom,” she said, in an interview to be published in the magazine’s March issue.

“And I said, Come on, are you kidding me? We're gonna answer this? Do you not believe me or my doctor? And they said, No, it's been quite cryptic the way that my son's birth has been discussed. And I thought, Okay, more indication of continued problems in the world of journalism."

But Palin said she had adopted a philosophical attitude on the downside of the spotlight. "You have to let it go,” she said. “Even hard news sources, credible news sources — the comment about, you can see Russia from Alaska. You can! You can see Russia from Alaska. Something like that — a factual statement that was taken out of context and mocked — what you have to do is let that go."

The former Republican vice presidential candidate said again she regretted not taking a greater leadership role during the campaign season. "If I were giving advice to myself back on the day my candidacy was announced, I'd say, Tell the campaign that you'll be callin' some of the shots,” she said. “Don't just assume that they know you well enough to make all your decisions for ya. Let them know that you're the CEO of a state, you're forty-four years old, you've got a lot of great life experience that can be put to good use as a candidate."

Despite a season of barbs aimed at the coastal elites, Palin seemed to offer an olive branch to the Big Apple: "I would think we all tear up during the national anthem at the beginning of a baseball game, don't we? That's an alikeness between Alaskans and New Yorkers," she said.

Update: In an Anchorage Daily News column published last week, the paper's editor said the only questions reporters there had asked about Trig's birth came when the paper undertook a project to debunk conspiracy theories surrounding the event, but that they had abandoned the effort because of a lack of cooperation from the Palin family.

"I don't believe we have ever published in the newspaper a story, a letter, a column or anything alleging a coverup surrounding your maternity," wrote the editor in an e-mail sent to Palin and reprinted on the paper's blog. "In fact, my integrity and the integrity of the newspaper have been repeatedly attacked in national forums for our complicity in the 'coverup.'

Later, he added: "...So I don’t understand the behavior of the governor’s press office. Did the governor not share my email with the press staff? Did the press staff deliberately ignore what I said in order to have a longer list of press 'outrages'? Or are they just sloppy with details? I don’t know."

Filed under: Sarah Palin
soundoff (2,659 Responses)
  1. Tina, FL

Sarah, darling, when are you going to learn that you are just playing into the hands of the media with each new invective you spew? Simply say "thanks, but no thanks" (like you did with that Bridge to Nowhere, wink, wink) and hang up the phone. Also, you'll want the media to be your friend in 2012; therefore, I would advise against trashing them at every opportunity.

January 13, 2009 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  2. MikeH

Sarah could answer the question about who the mother of Trig is by releasing her medical records, or just the ones around the time of Trig's birth. Something Sarah has yet to do.

January 13, 2009 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  3. Darin

Steve... MEDIA RELATIONS? are you kidding? Sarah got SLAMMED for everything she said or didn't say. She and her family were demeaned , email hacked and made fun of. I have never witnessed anything like this attack in my 50 + years. Disgraceful.

January 13, 2009 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  4. nerakami

I just wish CNN and the other media outlets would read these comments and realize that NO ONE is interested in whatever Sarah Palin has to say...

Do we collectively have to turn off the TVs and stop reading your on line publications before you get the message?

Silliness no longer has much tolerance in America... George Bush has surely cured us of that ....

January 13, 2009 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  5. Accountability

Oh...you mean like she lied about firing the Public Safety Commissioner for not firing her brother-in-law? Well, if anyone could recognize lying it would be her...she must be right :-)

January 13, 2009 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  6. Kris

What an absolute loof! If it wasn't for McCain choosing her as his running mate, I would have voted for him.
    Coulda, shoulda, woulda gets you no where now. Can you imagine her as our President and Commander in Cheif? If you don't have a set of nuts in teh beginning, you're not gonna get them at all.

January 13, 2009 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  7. Taff

This woman needs to take a page from the Obama play book. If you screw up, you move past the mess as soon as possible. Admit the mistake, ignore it and make it a non-issue; do anything and then stop talking about it. Don't keep replaying it over and over again. That's politics 101, even I know that. She keeps trying to argue this issue about 'I can see russia from my house'..... blah blah blah the more clueless she looks. Every politician gets snipets of their words grabbed on by the media, fair or not. The difference is, if you are smart, you move past it real fast. The more I hear her post-election interviews, the more I think she will have no chance becoming the next GOP candidate. Hell, at this rate she may not even make it through her next governor race.

January 13, 2009 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  8. Contrarian

Isn't it funny how liberal whiners complain about somebody else's whining! All I ever heard from the press was that Obama's family was off limits for any comments or criticism. Apparently that was not the same for Palin. I don't blame her for being annoyed. Also....a word to some of the women here: Nobody is saying that you had some obligation to support this woman just because she's a woman...BUT...why does it seem that some of you go out of your way to prove it by trashing this woman? Man, some of you women are nasty. You won't be happy till you rip out her uterus. Let's all be honest here. If Sarah Palin looked more like Helen Thomas, you would think she was a freakin' genius!

January 13, 2009 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  9. Bo Diddlt

Please go do your job. If you really intend on pursuing politics on a national scale again, what you do right now is giong to tremendously effect those odds. As far as I can see your obsession with the public and medias commentary will render that impossible. Please use your head, and lead well – but stay out of the press with articles like these, or your career will end itself.

January 13, 2009 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  10. IndependentfromTexas.

Why is she giving legitimacy to these rumors? Let her ask John Ewards about this! Imagine her being U.S. President or VP and the world writes about rumors. Will she start waging war about these? Serious lack of judgment and maturity. Please go away..

January 13, 2009 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  11. lawrence,ks

This is soooo September 2008. Welcome to the New Year, Sarah and CNN!

January 13, 2009 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  12. RMGofCO

Ms. Palin. Keep quiet. I do not agree with the myths (Trigs real mother) but I am fascinated that you continue to show your lack of knowledge and depth. I beg you. Concentrate on the work of serving as Governor of Alaska and take care of your family. Your endless desire to play victim and stay in the news is not helping you…at all.

I do wish you the best.

January 13, 2009 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  13. Sherrol in Canada

........and this is the woman that wanted to be VP of the USA, and some people really, really wanted her to be also. Americans consider yourselves lucky she is back in Alaska and not representing your country in the world.

Palin is dangerous and yet still a joke, but you CNN need to stop giving her so much coverage. Granted, she's fair game and juicy fodder, but she's irritating, and even her quoted words in print grates on the nerves like chalk on a blackboard.

Shame on you John McCain for inflicting this woman on the human race.

January 13, 2009 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  14. Kris

Please, please go away! Why don't you focus on the problems of your state, and not your own state of affairs. You are the people of Alaska's servant. Serve and SHUT UP!!!!

January 13, 2009 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  15. k-dub

Palin shows her true colors when she delivers one of her devisive, polarizing and accusatory speeches full of falsehoods and half-truths. She seems so full of herself when she incites the dittoheads who hang on her every word. Our country has suffered through enough of "your with us or against us" leadership. Her brand of politicing continues to take us down that road and will not lead to healing and trust in leadership. Credibility has taken a back seat to deception. We deserve better.

January 13, 2009 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  16. August

Chris,

yawn.............

January 13, 2009 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  17. KMAN

Yeah, too bad bloggers can't be honest like she is! I really don't think there's any doubt who is truly pathetic ... she can be seen above. Eat me Sarah!

January 13, 2009 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  18. Mike S. New Orleans

At least those poor teenagers won't have to get married now that Sarah lost the election.

PARTY ON!!

January 13, 2009 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  19. Dave

When people make fun of "you can see Russia from Alaska" they are taking it very much IN context, the context that you claimed SP. That's what makes it funny. YOU claimed it gave you experience in the international scene. If you had just said it as a fact, it wouldn't be funny.

If you don't get why it is funny, then I'm laughing again. If you had been elected... I'd be crying of course.

January 13, 2009 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  20. Kurt

Remember when Al Gore lost. And he went away for a while? I'm thinking Gov. Palin should follow that model. She just seems to be dying to have someone hear about her sour grapes. On top of that, it seems she's building an "anti-media" platform for future campaigns.

January 13, 2009 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  21. joy

Whimpy wacky Palin, we wish you'd quit your wailin'

Now we're all a copin', and you are still a mopin'

Too bad we still can hear ya, hollerin' from Wasilla

The crap you try to sell, we wish you'd go to HELL!

January 13, 2009 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  22. chris

Since I can see the moon, I must be qualified to be an Astronaut.

January 13, 2009 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  23. Anonymous

SHE STILL SEES HERSELF IN THAT TIARA...IF YOU BELIEVE IT, SHE'S THE MOST MISUNDERSTOOD PERSON SINCE HAMLET...

January 13, 2009 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  24. Wayne, Greenville TX

As opposed to boring, know-nothing, pathetic governors who lie.

January 13, 2009 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  25. Tony

Your 15 minutes were up months ago BI*TCH!

January 13, 2009 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107