January 14th, 2009

Kennedy's support fading in New York

Kennedy's popularity is fading, according to a new poll.
Kennedy's popularity is fading, according to a new poll.

(CNN) - A majority of New Yorkers hope Gov. David Paterson nominates someone besides Caroline Kennedy to fill the Senate seat soon to be vacated by Hillary Clinton, a new poll suggests.

According to a new survey from Quinnipiac University, 31 percent of New York voters prefer State Attorney General Andrew Cuomo get the job while only 24 percent want Kennedy to get it.

In a poll conducted by Quinnipiac in late December, a third of voters favored Kennedy while 29 percent wanted Cuomo.

Meanwhile, Reps. Carolyn Maloney, Kirsten Gillibrand, and Steve Israel all draw single digit support.

Of course, just one man’s opinion matters in this race - and he's not talking.

Read the full poll results [PDF]

Filed under: Caroline Kennedy • Popular Posts
  1. Mike

Why doesn't Ms Kennedy just go away?....you know!

January 14, 2009 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  2. jenn

Why are they opinion polling this? It's a short-term appointment by the governor, not an election. And frankly, I don't know why Gov. Paterson has not announced a replacement–I suppose HRC won't actually resign her seat until she is confirmed as SoS, but let's be honest; she will be confirmed, and Paterson could have prevented a lot of unhelpful conjecture and speculation by announcing his choice long ago.

As for Kennedy, my concerns are not about "experience" or "qualifications." Obama doesn't have as long a resume as VP Cheney, for example, but I'd take Obama any day of the week because he is intelligent, thoughtful, and has good judgment. Kennedy, OTOH, I'm not so sure about. She could be one of those people who was born on third base and thought she hit a triple–not unlike GWB. I am not a fan of political dynasties generally, and Kennedy's less-than-literate-sounding interviews did not fill me with confidence.

January 14, 2009 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  3. Boston Irish

Hey Lost in Texas, what makes you think the people who dislike Caroline Schlossberg are Republicans? I'm not in support of her and I'm a Democrat.

Joy O, I agree with you 100 percent. I think the reason Caroline is hoping for an appointment is if she has to actually campaign, she will have no-shows and those that do show up will leave because she will have every two or three words be "you know". A public speaker she isn't and in order to campaign, they want to HEAR your opinion, not read it on some leaflet you hand out. I don't even think "Uncle Teddy" is big enough to save her on this one.

January 14, 2009 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  4. Allen

Thank Goodness some New Yorkers are apparently wising up. CK is just looking for "pay back" for stumping for Obama. This woman has never held a "real job," she has never struggled to pay a bill, and she has never had to work for anything in her entire life. She has never done anything but "be a Kennedy," and judging by her unscripted remarks to the media, she is obviously an air head. Do the right thing, Governor P. Pick someone else.

January 14, 2009 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  5. nyatheart

Actually, I find it interesting that the comments for Michelle Obama's choosing an interior designer for the White House were already closed. Another press ploy.

I would say there is a sensitive chip missing. While thousands of people are unemployed and losing their jobs, the incoming administration feels the need for an 'interior decorator'

Change indeed................

As for Caroline Kennedy, while I am a great admirer of her family's contribution to politics throughout history, let her run to be elected – the same route that both Hillary Clinton and Sarah Palin took.

January 14, 2009 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  6. JMarie

add Margin of Error to the poll numbers, and the difference is insignificant.

This is media trying to have impact on outcome.

January 14, 2009 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  7. rockturner

I think Caroline would be good for the job, if you applied to a lesser office position for a few years and got some practical experience.

Her family name and commitment to politics and America is lengendary, but it does not make you a instant politician.
    She lacks confidence in her speaking, and her thought process is
    unclear.

I think in time, if she is truely serious, she should run for office.
    but to take it by default, in troubling times. NY requires a stearn
    hand and steady insight.

January 14, 2009 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  8. Wait...What?

You know Cuomo is a pretty big name too. But as an upstater I want Gillibrand but I can't deny that her reelection would be difficult.

January 14, 2009 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  9. Don in Albuquerque

The time is now for Fran Dresher!!!!!!!!!!!! Irritating as Kennedy and Palin but at least she is intelligent.

January 14, 2009 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  10. Mike T

Kirsten Gilibrand would do a great job....she represents my district in upstate NY.

January 14, 2009 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  11. Betty in upstate NY

I think Paterson will offer Caroline a job. Just not the senate seat. I am sure the other contenders (Cuomo) wouldn't be to happy having worked their butts off for years only to have her waltz in and take the senate seat because she is a Kennedy. If Paterson is smart he will let her work her way up just like everyone else has had to do. And if Paterson has any hope of being ELECTED to the office of Governor he will not hand Caroline the senate seat. He is already in enough hot water with his tax ideas and the Seneca Indians.

January 14, 2009 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  12. Robert

Placing Caroline Kennedy in the vacant seat would be such a politically gimme it compares to Pres-elect Obama appointing Hillary Clinton as Sec. of State, tell me that wasn't a huge thank you for getting her support after she lost her party's nomination. Talk about "pay for play."

January 14, 2009 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  13. Sezi Demirkilic`

I think the reason people are so afraid of Kennedy is because not much is known about her. BUT, that might be why she would be right for the job. She might not be as experienced or too public, now she will be and she wants to step into "the light".

Give Carolne Kennedy a chance. I haven't seen Cuomo do anything at all in the near past!

January 14, 2009 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  14. AndyL

@JJ – "you betcha" the verbal tic "ya know" makes a difference, or it did anyways when it was about a republican

January 14, 2009 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  15. Sylvia

Once again power and money win – thanks to the liberal media support. She will get in. Sucks for the rest of us to have to earn it!

January 14, 2009 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  16. Maggie from Virginia

I'm an Obama supporter, but I do not support Caroline as a Senator.

January 14, 2009 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  17. Michael J,

Kennedy is only being considered because of her last name...

January 14, 2009 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  18. Michelle

I'm sure she's a very nice person. But equating that to being able to be a Senator representing New York State in national politics is just not correct. She can't get the job just because of her last name. She should have experience of some sort in the political arena. Her fundraising and charity work and experience are wonderful, but I don't think they'll get her very far in the dog eat dog world of New York State politics. Give the job to someone who can handle it.

January 14, 2009 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  19. Earl

"While thousands of people are unemployed and losing their jobs, the incoming administration feels the need for an 'interior decorator'"

So what you're saying is that they should take away another person's job, nice, I agree. Interior decorators don't deserve work. Only the people who do and believe what I do deserve to have things work out.

January 14, 2009 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  20. David

Good one Boston Irish. You don't have to be GOP to not want her to be senator. As a Dem I would rather see Cuomo or Gillibrand, you know someone who has actually served in elected office. And I have to say to Lost in Texas that we on the left have spewed hate on here for a while now so be prepared for it to go around.

January 14, 2009 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  21. The Rector

I think it's sad that she even wants it. She has everything she could ever want except for validation. pathitic.

January 14, 2009 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  22. Jane

Opps. Wonder why it worked in IL. Oh that's because it was a race issue. The press has hounded her about her views on issues but they haven't even approached Burris on anything. Double standard as always....women are held to a higher standard than men; just ask Sarah Palin and Hilliary Clinton.

January 14, 2009 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  23. ron levine

I can't believe that Caroline Kennedy is still in the game. She has virtually no experience. If she wasn't a Kennedy, she wouldn't even have been considered.
    Mr. Cuomo is by far the only person for this postion.

January 14, 2009 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  24. Steve in Crete

If Caroline was from a wealth republican family with the resume she has, she would have been crucified by the media. They would have reports on how she didn't color within the lines in kindergarten and had a second grade friend that went on to sell drugs and ended up in prison. The MSM would be demanding to know how close of a relationship they had and did Caroline know her 2nd grade friend was a dealer. The MSM would be gleefully reporting that Caroline had 12 houses all over the world with servants at everyone of them. The MSM would tell us that this princess is out of touch with the average American. But the fact is, she is a lefty, so none of this matters to them. Sure, she's never had a real job, ever, but so what?

January 14, 2009 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  25. chuck

MONEY STILL TALKS.WHEN LAST I CHECKED --MONEY STILL TALKS.

January 14, 2009 11:59 am at 11:59 am |