January 14th, 2009

Kyl pushes for delay in Geithner hearing

Geithner is Obama's choice for Treasury Secretary.
Geithner is Obama's choice for Treasury Secretary.

(CNN) - Arizona Sen. Jon Kyl, a member of the Senate Finance Committee, has raised an objection to holding Treasury Secretary-designate Timothy Geithner's confirmation hearing Friday as planned, a spokesman for the senator tells CNN.

Kyl's objection comes a day after it was revealed Geithner had failed to pay necessary self-employment taxes while working for the IMF and continued to employ a housekeeper whose immigration status had expired.

The hearing is now scheduled for next Wednesday.

Filed under: Timothy Geithner
  1. Kathy

I'm sure he'll get in. It's crazy, but the American people are just turning a blind eye to everyone BO wants. He can't manage his own finances but they think he can manage the whole country. We are in deep trouble. Don't blame me, I didn't vote for the one.

January 14, 2009 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  2. Lori

The most important question is 'can this man do the job to get the American economy back on track?' End of story. He did pay his taxes eventually. People were praising him- both Republicans and Democrats now the Republicans are upset. Get over it! And let's get the economy back on track.

January 14, 2009 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  3. Ken in Dallas

Geithner's in a unique position, due to the less than admirable way Paulson's been managing the TARP program. He's apparently the only candidate available who can pick up TARP's reins without getting them all tangled up. It's not at all clear that it would be wise to dismiss him on the basis of resolved errors.

If further investigation were to uncover serious integrity issues, I might feel differently, but this stuff is on a level someone focused on his day job could easily overlook without malicious intent. Otherwise, I'd suggest that we give real job qualifications much more attention than already-resolved bookkeeping errors.

January 14, 2009 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  4. Anonymous

SADSAD "I have this question how many of you here file your own taxes by yourself? He his not the only one that got errors on his taxes and repaid."

Hey, I had the same thing happen to me because I missed paying taxes on stocks I cashed in one year. The difference is that I don't expect to be nominated as secretary of the treasury. I KNOW I'm not qualified. If he couldn't manage his taxes for so many years, and only paid the back taxes after his nomination, it tells me that he just doesn't understand our economy and tax system well enough to hold that cabinet position.

January 14, 2009 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  5. richard

He's a crook, that why he a democrat – we got more scandals with our new president elect than any prior presidents.

January 14, 2009 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  6. JMO - AD USAF

Bush is out in 6 short days. I have no idea why this has anything to do with him. Obama picked Geithner not Bush so if you DEMS want to keep bashing Bush do it for what he has done not for what Obama has done. And get off of your high horse and start bashing Obama for his mistakes. I have one question for you all who attacked us on Sept 11 and which Pres. had the chance to put this person in American's hands before the attack????? Lets really start bashing if you want to!

January 14, 2009 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  7. German,Irish American

Actually Geithner was informed by the IRS in 2006 that he owed back taxes. He forgot about them until he got nominated by Obama, then he paid up before it became public. Kind of like Obama practicing the religion of racism and hate before being caught, thus forcing him to throw his mentor under the bus, in order to keep alive the myth of him being an honest man.

January 14, 2009 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  8. Rick

Confirm another Obama crook who will strip more of our money from our pockets.

January 14, 2009 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  9. richard @ 128

Mom, is recess over yet?

January 14, 2009 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  10. Ernie in LA

German Irish American, Thank you, you just explained it perfectly well.

January 14, 2009 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  11. TruthWillSetYouFree37

Obama has good judgement and character.

January 14, 2009 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  12. Bruce

Carlo, unless you have facts to back it up, calling our President a war criminal is just plain stupid. People like you are morons.

January 14, 2009 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  13. Jackie in Dallas

Your comment is awaiting moderation.
    I guess the difference between Kyl and Gaithnier is that Gaithnier admitted that he made some mistakes (or his accountant did, but that doesn't take Gaithnier off the hook), rectified it by paying the taxes, penalties and interest, and his housekeeper's status has been cleared up and she is now an American citizen. At least she was legal when he HIRED her, unlike some now really quiet Republicans who have been knowingly hiring illegals for years.

I believe he showed integrity by making it public, and paying all of what was owed instead of hiring a flashy lawyer and accountant to prove he didn't owe it. Oh, I forgot, that's only allowed for Republicans!

Pot – kettle – black, guys.

January 14, 2009 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  14. Judy

This is Cronyism at its best! I am a retired widow living on Social Security and when my taxes got messed up back in 1991, I owed the IRS 975.00 and before I could even contact them to set up a pay schedule, they froze my checking account so that I could not even buy bread and milk! This is over a lousy 975.00 and look at the harshness with which the average american is treated ... I can't even imagine what they would have done to me if I owed them what Geithner owed!!!
    Judy, Texas

January 14, 2009 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  15. Oh No!

German,Irish American January 14th, 2009 1:31 pm ET

______________________________________________________
    When are you going to go back to Germany where you grew up as a boy? Hmmmm...?

January 14, 2009 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  16. LK in NJ

You never know what's down the road... I am a democrat and an Obama supporter and if this appointee has done something illegal then he should not be confirmed.

January 14, 2009 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  17. Viv, Utah

Carlo
    Get over yourself. If Bush had committed a crime, the democratic, lets investigate everything 100 times congress, would have impeached him years ago.

January 14, 2009 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |