January 14th, 2009

Official Obama portrait released

The Obama transition office has released the official presidential portrait.
The Obama transition office has released the official presidential portrait.

(CNN) - President-elect Barack Obama's transition office has released the new official portrait of the incoming president.

The photograph was taken by newly-announced White House photographer Pete Souza, and is the first presidential portrait to be taken with a digital camera, according to the transition office.

Full portrait after the jump

ALT TEXT

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Fredi

To all you haters out there, consider this:
    The things you hate and vehemently criticize in others are usually traits that you abundantly have yourself – but do not have the courage to see, let alone admit or address.
    Everything you say about Obama says a lot more about you than about him.

January 14, 2009 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  2. Maria Roberts

Looking Good Mr. President....

Feeling Good Mrs. Roberts.....
    ;-)

January 14, 2009 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  3. bob j

i see a new day for america and the world when i look at the pres elects photo cannot wait until jan 20th good look mr pres elect we as americans are praying for you

January 14, 2009 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  4. Anonymous

Hey Republicans, isn't the christrian thing not to judge someone by their color, not to judge someone for anything.........the one and only judge is God and God alone, so give Obama a chance before you crucifiy him.......and let God judge him.......if you want to be called a christrian then act like one........

January 14, 2009 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  5. Jimmy

MAN IN THE MIRROR !!

January 14, 2009 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  6. Jody in St. Louis

Very presidential! I am proud to live in the United States and have this man as my president.

January 14, 2009 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  7. Josephine

So handsome and dignified. I see hope for the first time in 8 years. LOVE OBAMA!

January 14, 2009 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  8. Stacy from Leesburg VA

Excellent, this will be the picture that hangs beside FDR and Kennedy in my house. God bless our new president and the first family.

January 14, 2009 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  9. tired of corporate politics

"this picture should be presented on everybody's fridge"

Really – are you TRYING to make this seem like 1984? What if I don't put him on my fridge? Will you tell on me? Will the Thought Police come visiting?

Why don't we all just admit he is a man who we agree or not with and wish him the best.

January 14, 2009 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  10. Selena

Great pic should have picked a different tie though im a solid fan wish he could shown some teeth but thats my man anyway go Obama

January 14, 2009 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  11. Luke Brown

Can't he be President today???? Why do we have to wait until Tuesday?

January 14, 2009 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  12. Penny

As I pull out my tissue – All I can think is – THANK GOD! I am so happy for all of us Americans. All who believe in pray. Say one for the safety of our 44th President.

January 14, 2009 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  13. Ed

Thanks. I'm gonna print that poster size and put it right next to my posters of Osama Bin Laden and Sadam Hussein.

January 14, 2009 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  14. Ed

Look at the size of those ears!! Looks like George Bush to me.

January 14, 2009 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  15. Zach K

To make a long comment short.

Good Portrait.
    AWESOME PRESIDENT.

January 14, 2009 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  16. Lori

Obama is, by most accounts, considered to be an attractive man. That being said, I don't think that they were trying to make him look attractive in this picture (because they could have done a better job). They were probably trying to make him look presidential (confident, wise, etc.), and it seems to me that they did a fine job.

I'm an Obama supporter and have been since 2007, but I think he's got far more important things to worry about than being pretty for a picture. He's got a huge job ahead of him, and although I do think he'll enjoy success, he will not transform water into wine and create rainbows for us Americans to look at every day. He's going to fight the good fight, and expects the same from us.

January 14, 2009 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  17. christabel jeffers

mark my words! Obama will go down in history as the most beloved and successful president ever. I just don't care who doesnot share the same view, eat your heart out

January 14, 2009 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  18. Moe in VA.

Excellent pic. God Speed Mr. President. We need you to succeed!!

January 14, 2009 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  19. Lori

Ed,

Why do you keep poster-sized pictures of Osama Bin Laden and Saddam Hussein? That's kind of creepy...

January 14, 2009 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  20. rena

Great picture!

To Centrist- It doesn't matter who takes over the Oval office; the mess that is left behind would be difficult for any person to deal with. I just pray that Mr. Obama will take it one day at a time and give it his best. My prayers are with him, his family, and staff. I know he will give it his best.

January 14, 2009 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  21. Thai from Louisiana

Just look at my handsome President! God bless our new first family!

January 14, 2009 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  22. Carla Martin-Wood

I'm putting it up in my office at work and on my fridge at home. I may make it into jewelry. This man is Moses - he is taking us out of the oppression of Bush and the Redneck Reich and into the Promised Land where we may regain the respect of the world and leave the shackles of fear and prejudice and war behind. He's got a tough climb ahead of him - considering little Bush has left of the economy and of this country in general - but yes, HE can. By golly, we DID!

January 14, 2009 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  23. John G

Angel please tell me you're joking

January 14, 2009 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  24. tfrmaz

Every time, I see a picture or hear about President Obama. I always get this really warm feeling of hope. I'm not much of a romantic. But, its just the simple fact., that my vote really did count this time. And "WE" the people made this happen. This picture is my new desktop background!!

January 14, 2009 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  25. Tina

It's a great firtst picture of the finest president this country will ever have. People kindly keep your racial comments to yourself because its scum like you that ruin this beautiful country. If you don't like this country please leave and move to Canada.

January 14, 2009 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |