January 16th, 2009

Top Dem not running in Florida

Sink is not running for Senate.
Sink is not running for Senate.

(CNN) – Democrat Alex Sink said Friday that she would skip the state’s 2010 Senate contest.

“Over the past several weeks, I have given serious and careful thought to my own future and, more importantly, to the future of our state,” Sink, Florida’s chief financial officer, said in a statement. “And I am extremely grateful for the support and advice so many friends and fellow Floridians have shared. I believe my skills and abilities are of greatest use here in Florida, where I am honored to serve as Chief Financial Officer. And I will run for re-election as Chief Financial Officer to continue being a fiscal watchdog on behalf of the people of Florida.”

Likely frontrunners in both parties have now taken themselves out of the race to succeed retiring Florida Sen. Mel Martinez: Last week, Republicans looking to keep the seat in GOP hands were disappointed when Jeb Bush, the state’s popular former governor, said he would not be a candidate in 2010.

If Sink had entered the race, she would have been a heavy primary favorite and a formidable fall candidate.

Democratic State Sen. Dan Gelber said Friday that with Sink out of the running, “I expect to officially enter the race in the coming weeks.” Rep. Kendrick Meek, a fellow Democrat, is the only candidate in any party to have officially announced his candidacy.

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Jackie in Dallas

And we wonder why our elected officials are so bad. If the state of Florida cannot attract new blood and intelligent candidates, much like Texas, I'm afraid, the choice becomes which is the least likely to damage the state. I don't like Jeb Bush, but none of the candidates I've read about are all that great either.

This lack is evident on even the city level. Those that run are frequently the ones you DON'T want to have running things. Those that would do a good job are too busy doing other things.

January 16, 2009 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  2. joe smith

maybe as chief financial officer, she can quickly impound the madoff estate, as well as the good ole boy merkins estate and sell them and put the proceeds into some worthwhile venure, that all floridians may benefit..

January 16, 2009 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  3. Objective thinking

Our elected officials are bad because we reward the wrong qualities of a candidate.

January 16, 2009 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  4. chuck

ALEX CINK IS A CHARMING AND BRILLIANT LADY.

January 16, 2009 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  5. Irritated in Fl

Dang. I just responded to a survey last night that I would vote for her. The good ones always bow out. I guess the corruption is just too much.

January 16, 2009 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  6. Central FL

I would have liked to see Sink run for Senate; however, Meek is a great alternative.

Perhaps Alex Sink will consider running for governor. Gov. Crist has unfortunately become a disappointment, so her moderate approach would be welcomed change.

January 16, 2009 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |