January 17th, 2009

Crowley: A little history and pushing into the future

President-elect Obama greeted supporters during an event in Philadelphia before boarding the train to Washington.

ABOARD THE OBAMA EXPRESS (CNN) - This is not just a march through history and the Obama team certainly wants the Lincolnesque sort of symbolism to catch on.

But this is also a way to roll into Washington and try to keep that enthusiasm that Barack Obama saw on the campaign trail because there are so many tough times ahead.

The themes he wants to fit here are not just, "We need to get that spirit of patriotism, and we need to go back to what our forefathers believed in." He also said at the end of his speech let's make sure this election is not the end of what we do to change America, but the beginning.

So it's the sort of commonality - I'm going to need you - and certainly he is, even though out there if they are not people who vote on Capitol Hill, they are certainly people who can pressure Capitol Hill.

And as he looked ahead and talked about the frustrations and the setbacks that are coming, he wants this train ride to begin that role and say, "I know the election is over, but you [have] got to stick with me because I need it."

So it's a dual trip, a little history and certainly pushing very far into the future

1. Bob

Obama gives people hope. Something I think we lost these eight years. It's uplifting to hear him speak. It's too bad places like Gretawire@fox has their 14% of complete bashing someone who has'nt even taken office yet. We need unity, not divide, and this seems to be the tone over there. Always a small group of want divide and sustain it!

January 17, 2009 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  2. Ohio for Obama- Suburbs

I think the American people should know about their History of where we been in the past and where we need to go as a nation in the future. This March through HISTORY, I hope will give hope and change to those who currently live the lifestyle of racism, sexism, discrimination and etc, Because as people we really need a vision on the other side of our problems, and that's whats Obama is about. One can't change if he/she don't change there selves, so as I read posters comment and see a lot of crap, I already can tell who don't believe in Obama change theory and why, because they are non-believer of change thats not rooted in them.

I hope this get posted, like some of the crap I see day-in-and day out.

January 17, 2009 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  3. Suzanna

Who's vain?
    Get a hat!
    The two of the five sitting outside wearing hats on TV this morning, Soledad and Roland. Where's your hat Guergen, Anderson and Blitzer?
    It is 3 degrees today!

January 17, 2009 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  4. Texas Teacher

The Repubs diffinently have the whilte sheet and pointed hat crowd... but that is NOT Obama's base. And speaking for many, We will Support Obama and oppose anyone who tries to block his efforts. Don't forget for one moment that WE, the People, are HIS BASE.

Bush screwed up the bail outs and made sure that his Rich Cat Base benefited. But he is on his way out now... finally. And Obama will NOT forget His Base! :) And we will NOT forget him!

January 17, 2009 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  5. maryland

this is the first election I have been active in, during the primary and general it was made VERY easy to get involved.

I am waiting for this same type of Ease to come to the government, I Want to get Involved, I Want to help, I Want to "stick with him" past the election.

the goal for the election was clear, now it is not so clear. And his team is doing double time on Political teams, so I am hoping his people can refocus on engaging the voters .

I am waiting for the leadership to give me the path to serve. I am waiting and ready. but my inspired spirit won't wait forever.

I hope his team can reengage us voters, we are Very willing, if given a Goal, and Leadership.

LET US HELP YOU. Sincerely, a 33 year-old white male father.

January 17, 2009 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  6. Ray Fisher

President Obama has warned against expecting any miracles yet he and America must realize that miracles need not be huge productions but sometimes as small as a breath. A wave of a hand to repair the economy would be a HUGE miracle yet the breath of a loved one stating they love you at the right moment can also be a HUGE miracle. America expects no miracles only openess, accountability and above all honesty. Those three little virtues make the difference between success and failure. By being open, America will be prepared to accept the results of any actions, by being accountable America may judge the effectiveness of actions and by being honest America can respect the actions and those making the decisions. The culmination of applying these virtues to any situation may remedy many challenges yet the application of many solutions to many situations result in what many would consider a miracle. Miracles are in the hearts of the recipients and those who make the attempt!!!

January 17, 2009 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  7. Buckeye

Lincoln said that Might does not make Right. Right makes Might. That is something both Israel and the USA have yet to learn.

January 17, 2009 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  8. Candy lover

Candy,you had a hard time keeping your bias from showing during the election,lets hope you become a better reporter and just stick to the facts from now on.I also think your hot.

January 17, 2009 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  9. Texas Teacher

I am a bit upset that this being heralded as a momentous occasion simply because Obama is black.

Most of us did not vote for Obama because he is Black ! We voted for him because he is the highly educated man with the plan! We agree with his views and it does not matter whether he is white, black, or green! And what made this so beautiful is that Obama himself has said repeatedly that he is NOT just a President for Black people, but rather for ALL the People! Obama is Everyman! :)

January 17, 2009 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  10. Death of America by Obama

You are quite a showman but you are not Lincoln.
    Lincoln loved his country and didn't try to fill it up with a bunch of crooks and liars to defeat it.
    I hope you burn in h.e.l.l.

January 17, 2009 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |