January 17th, 2009

Crowley: The Obama Express arrives in Washington

Michelle Obama's birthday was Saturday.  She celebrated it aboard the Amtrak train that brought the President-elect and his entourage from Philadelphia to Washington
Michelle Obama's birthday was Saturday. She celebrated it aboard the Amtrak train that brought the President-elect and his entourage from Philadelphia to Washington

ABOARD THE OBAMA EXPRESS, JUST OUTSIDE WASHINGTON (CNN) - It is pitch black as the Obama train heads to Union Station in his new hometown of Washington, D.C. Still, you can see the outlines of people standing near the rails, waving as we whiz by.

Walking through the train, I spotted Michelle Obama dancing with her girls and friends in one of the cars decorated for her 45th birthday.

We are pulling into Union Station. The day is done.

1. landandair

My mom's birthday is today also. She would have been 92 year old. Happy Birthday to My mom !

January 17, 2009 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  2. Train to HOPE

Congrats on a great trip–and great reporting Candy!

January 17, 2009 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  3. Susan in SC

Candy – great coverage! Thanks.

William – you make me sad. Fortunately President Elect Obama makes me much, much happier.

I am ready for a change.....

January 17, 2009 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  4. Karen Pressley

Candy,
    Your coverage on this history journey has been great. I've been glued
    to CNN all day–between the train and the top of the museum where the rest of your team has been reporting all day. I would love to be in your seat! We're arriving in DC tomorrow with no tickets for events,
    just want to be there.
    Stay warm & safe! THANK YOU.

January 17, 2009 09:12 pm at 9:12 pm |
  5. Jaime

Thank you so much, Candy, as always for your wonderful voice in this coverage of the Inagauration. I can not be there, but I join many Americans in being there through CNN. I thought nothing could be as exciting as the election process this year! Thank you for always interesting and expert commentary. Stay warm and Enjoy!
    Sincerely, Jaime Merrifield

January 17, 2009 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  6. Proud American

Candy,
    I have always loved your fair and unbias coverage, but today you were just great. I watch CNN just to see and hear your reports. Great Job
    Phil

January 17, 2009 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  7. Redbug

HAPPY BIRTHDAY FIRST LADY MICHELLE OBAMA. GOD BLESS YOU. GREAT JOB CANDY.

January 17, 2009 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  8. Dan

Another chapter of Obama drama.. The show is on....Barack.. spend our taxpayers money. No questions asked...

January 17, 2009 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  9. Mike Dallas

Candy,

You had a good point earlier about the Secret Service. We use to jump on the ridge of the street lights and hang there to get a better view and also climbing the oaks on the route when i was a kid at Mardi Gras. So, I can see doing that and never thinking twice about it.

However, I agree, that would cause some sweaty palms and rapid heart beats amonst the Secret Service.

Lesson learned, stay outta high places when the holder of the ultimate high place is involved!

January 17, 2009 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  10. amt

Candy, one of the best political team on tv & i agree with that. Happy Birthday Michelle First Lady Obama

January 17, 2009 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  11. Denise

What a way to celebrate your birthday – dancing with your daughters and friends in a train car carrying your family to washington DC as the first family of America. So awesome. And so hope they can find moments and hours and days to continue keeping their family close and blanketed in that kind of joy and love. It will not be easy for any of them – As Americans we now have an openness of sorts to allow ourselves to pick that kind of thing up and maybe give our fellow beings more care and be more willing to help our neighbor. Hope springs eternal....

January 17, 2009 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |