January 19th, 2009

Getting to the Inauguration: Trains all booked

Nearly every train headed to Washington Tuesday is sold out.
Nearly every train headed to Washington Tuesday is sold out.

(CNN) - Nearly all trains on the Northeast corridor traveling into Washington, DC Tuesday are completely booked, spokespersons for Amtrak and Maryland Transportation have told CNN.

According to Amtrak spokesman Marc Magliari, nearly every train heading to Washington on Inauguration Day is sold out, while all outbound trains from Washington on Wednesday are completely booked. The Chicago to Washington line was also completely sold out on Monday.

In addition, all incoming trains from Maryland are cold out - meaning 35,000 tickets have been sold, according to Jo Greene, a spokesperson for Maryland Transportation.

Maryland Transportation has also sold 9,000 bus tickets, Greene said.

Filed under: Inauguration
  1. Griff

A Generation used to be 20 to 25 years... Now it is Just Ten.... (10yrs)..
    The Kids are way out in front of their Parents...

January 19, 2009 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  2. BB

OK

January 19, 2009 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  3. Ula Nejad Sacramento, Ca

One of way taking responsibility and accountability is to spend money to the most expensive inaugral. Good job guys. "YOU" have to take country forward while " I " president Barrack Hussein Obama enjoy being your President and sign the papers for you. No mr PEBO, "YOU" are paid to the job and expect you do the job. No more excuses or be ready for the backlash. That Mr PEBO is reality. Welcome to the White House.

January 19, 2009 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |
  4. Michele

Well, there are tons of busses that will get you there and back from NYC for $40, most leaving out of Chinatown.

January 19, 2009 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  5. arleen rios

How exciting, I wish I could be there. And for all of you who are going to travel to washington I wish I could do that. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity. Wow I can't believe this is happening. And it is also amazing that more than 35,000 tickets have been sold. Congratulations to Obama. he has made history. i think that this trip is more than just a trip to witness Obama become president. i think that it's support that you will show Obama.As americans I think we all look up to Obama for a change. He has gained our trust. Obama is my only hope for a better economy, better education, but most of all a better life. I am so jealous of you all who will be there. Hope you enjoy it and show Obama all the love he deserves.

January 19, 2009 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  6. yellow dog democrat

wow...great for Amtrak!! this is good for their business...maybe folks will travel by train more often and that mode of transportation could be expanded....I love to ride trains!

January 19, 2009 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  7. mitch

did amtrak really add trains like they said they would?? acellas seem to still be one per hour. Thanks

January 19, 2009 10:15 pm at 10:15 pm |
  8. MR E

Now that the trains are all booked how would the bushes and chaneys get out of town because i dont want to see them in washington by noon.......

January 19, 2009 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  9. Zachery

Good. Now you guys (the transportation industry) should not ask for a "bail out."

January 19, 2009 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  10. Simmy

Wow! Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. is smiling down on this Happy Birthday! Exciting time to be alive. I feel sad for anyone who is not able to enjoy these moments.

P.S. CNN, I think that word in your 3rd paragraph should be "sold."

January 19, 2009 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  11. Maggie SC

Be careful out there. may be a bigger crush than you are aware. Stay warm.

January 19, 2009 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  12. TheRebel

I'll drink to that. Cheers. Bottoms Up.

January 19, 2009 11:36 pm at 11:36 pm |
  13. reader

all incoming trains from maryland are "cold out"? hmmm...

January 19, 2009 11:47 pm at 11:47 pm |