January 20th, 2009

Metro update

WASHINGTON (CNN) – All of the parking lots near the Washington area's Metro stations are filled to capacity as of 9 am, according to Metro spokesperson Cathy Asato.

The first ones started to fill by 6 am; now they are all are full to capacity. Trains are mostly filling up at the ends of the lines, with most of the crowds exiting around the Mall. Any stops with access to the Mall and Capitol area are very busy.

One problem: People are holding doors for friends to get in, causing technical problems. “We've had a few trains go out because of door problems,” she told CNN.

As of 8 am, over 318,000 people had boarded Metro trains; during a normal weekday morning rush hour commute, there are approximately 240,000 passengers. There have been no reported injuries.

Filed under: Inauguration
  1. Mike O'Brien

I am glad that I am home and watching the inauguration on CNN News. burr ! Where's the fridge and the food. Great historic moment. Mike in Montana

January 20, 2009 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  2. BUSH BEGONE, HALLELUJAH!

Memo to neo-cons and bible-beaters.

Please note the millions of American citizens that have braved 20 degree weather from 3 A.M. 'til noon. You would be wise to TIVO these scenes, then when you feel like being an obstructionist, review the TIVO scenes.

Then you can decide if you want to get on board or be run over, but you will NOT be able to stop the people of America!

January 20, 2009 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  3. Mohamad Mazlan BOYD

Hello American, I'm trying my luck to send out this message:
    Congratulation to Barack Obama on being the 44thPresident of USA. I am truly overwhelmed by his historical achievement on being the first ever African-American President. It goes to show to the world how democratic the Americans are. I am from Malaysia, just an ordinary man, watching the live coverage by CNN. We are 13 hrs ahead, so its almost midnight. But I am staying thru out the nite to watch and share this awesome moments with you Americans. Barack Obama !!!! You can do it, you will help change not only America, but also the world. I truly believe You will bring America and the world out of the gloomy economic crisis and bring peace and joy to the people...all world over. My prayer goes to you and your family, always!!! God Bless You!

January 20, 2009 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  4. Canadian

I am so proud of America. I an envious of the inspiration that Barack Obama has brought to your nation. I can't wait when Barack visits Canada. I am definetly going to be there.

It is not going to be easy to get out of the economic crisis but at least people want to help and there is hope for the future....

Regards,

January 20, 2009 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  5. Heidi Nottingham

What a beautiful day in America. If we can keeps these good feelings going it will us all to get through the rough times together and not alone.

January 20, 2009 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  6. Di

I so hope our people remember that Mr. Obama will be the President of the United States – to each and every color and nationality that makes up the fabric of our communities.
    I am very disappointed in CNN's coverage of the inauguration so far. Believe it or not – there are others in our land who are not black or white who might have things of interest to say. Please reconsider your coverage.

January 20, 2009 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  7. TomD

At noon today, it seems that not only will America rejoice, but the world. A true "leader" unifies. It seems he may have taken the unity outside our walls. America is showing the world that we are not a country of bigots and bullies. The PEOPLE do still run the country. This along with the gracious transition of power is showing the world that Democracy is alive and well in America!!!!

Thank you President Obama for having the courage to step up.

January 20, 2009 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  8. True American

January 20, 2009 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  9. Ray Fisher

The party is over, so to speak. Stock markets are falling yet again but this time, I doubt they will recover as irradically as they have been since there's a new sheriff in town. Once President Obama outlines his new responsible government approach, the markets should drop like a rock as responsibility is not a virtue of people with money. It is a sign of a true recovery for things to get as bad as they can before making comeback. I've advised all my friends, neighbors and family to retain two months cash for food, bills, etc... just in case of a bank collapse. If President Obama stands by his word bringing accountability to government and banks, all hell could break loose. Stand by and take care to all!!!

January 20, 2009 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  10. MA'AJI MUHAMMAD DALHATU

I want to say congratulation to the president elect and to wish him a happy stay in office.
    2. We are watching life from Nigeria and pray that the inauguration will finish successfully.
    3. Long live Nigeria, Long live Africa, Long live USA and Long live the world.

January 20, 2009 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  11. Ray Fisher

It will all be over on the Mall in less than two hours so everyone please be safe so we can all experience freedom together!!!

January 20, 2009 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  12. G.R.I.T.S. - Girl Raised in the South

True American said, "Wonder how soon he's going to start the money flowing for the abortions in Mexico that Bush had stopped. I can see we're headed in the wrong direction and I voted for this man!! Bad move now, I think."

-–
    I doubt very seriously if you were ever an Obama supporter, but thankfully your opinion means little today.

The money will not flow to abortions in Mexico you moron. Bush stopped funding for ANY clinic that even provides abortion counseling. That mean millions of women have had regular healthcare affected by this decision. I personally don't agree with funding any foreign clinics when we have so many Americans without access to decent healthcare, but if we are going to do it, we need to do it regardless of whether the clinic offers abortion counseling.

January 20, 2009 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  13. Dan, TX

Wish I was in DC. But got to work today – sort of.....

January 20, 2009 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  14. kitkatknit

Di, That's been my thoughts exactly. They should be interviewing all American's about the upcoming administration.

January 20, 2009 10:51 am at 10:51 am |