January 20th, 2009
6 months ago

All eyes on the new first lady

First lady Michelle Obama stepped out Tuesday night in a white detailed gown designed by Jason Wu.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – “What should I wear” is a question many women have asked before dressing for a big event, but if you think you have it rough, step into Michelle Obama’s shoes – Jimmy Choo shoes that is.

Michelle Obama graced the first inaugural ball of the evening in a white, one-shoulder, Jason Wu dress with delicate detailing. Regarded as a fashion no-no, the first lady chose pure white to wear during the winter, and the bold number is getting mixed reviews by the fashion elite.

Hailed by some as the modern-day Jackie O., speculation has swirled over what, or who, the first lady would wear on her husband’s big day. Oscar de la Renta, Michael Kors, and Marc Jacobs are just a few of the renowned designers who created sketches of possible outfits for the first lady to don on the big night. But ultimately, Michelle decided upon the white detailed number to celebrate her husband’s transition to the Oval Office.

Earlier in the day, Michelle Obama arrived at the Capitol for her husband’s swearing-in ceremony in a creamy gold lace sheath dress and matching coat by Cuban-American designer Isabel Toledo. She paired the ensemble with green J.Crew leather gloves and Jimmy Choo kitten-heel pumps.

Gowns chosen by first ladies for inauguration night have won them either praise or ridicule. First ladies’ ensembles have always piqued public interest, and the Smithsonian museum satisfies the public’s appetite, housing a variety of outfits worn by presidents’ wives for display in their “First Ladies Collection.”

Filed under: Inauguration
  1. jaye

These people are beautiful!
    Our White House is graced with beauty – from Barack and Michelle to those beautiful girls!

January 20, 2009 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  2. Sandra from Canada

First Lady Michelle Obama can wear anything and wear it well, although I must say I didn't care for the look on this one. It means naught........congratulations America on your new President and First Family.

January 20, 2009 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  3. Haneefah

This is one beautiful couple. They remind me of the John & Jacqueline Kennedy but, Black (African American). What a wonderful day and what a Great representation of America!

January 20, 2009 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |
  4. petermas47

I love the First Lady but in terms of dressing taste she definetely needs a lot of fixing up. If they fixed Hillary when she arrived at the White House (remember?) they can do it to Michelle for sure. Happy presidency Barak and Michelle! It will be a memorable journey!

January 20, 2009 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  5. Needa

I need a new tv – because that dress looked pale green to me...

January 20, 2009 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  6. Flo

Mrs. Obama is a lady that marches to the beat of her own drum. I applaud her independence in establishing her own rules when it comes to fashion. She looks beautiful and very confident like her husband. A strong couple who is obviously in love and fiercely independent. GO MICHELLE.............YOU ROCK IN MY BOOK.

January 20, 2009 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  7. bill

"Scripture, the time has come to set aside childish things." Can we please focus on less shallow topics. Michelle Obama is a beautiful class act and is so in anything she wears. Let's move on.

January 20, 2009 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  8. Mr. Blackwell

Atrocious outfit but tame compared to Aretha Franklin's hat. What a disaster!

January 20, 2009 11:36 pm at 11:36 pm |
  9. Jan Illinois

I love her dress but it is tripping her up. Seems to me that they are having to work around it. Personally when I got back to the "beast" I'd have the secret service guys hack off the bottom of that gown so I could dance with that gorgeous man and enjoy the rest of the night. Seriously!!!

January 20, 2009 11:37 pm at 11:37 pm |
  10. Sue PA

Michelle is beautiful --Regarded as a fashion no-no, the first lady chose pure white to wear during the winter, and the bold number is getting mixed reviews by the fashion elite........It is Winter White and by the way you guys can kiss her FOOT and I'm being Nice OK

January 20, 2009 11:40 pm at 11:40 pm |
  11. JM

All Class!

January 20, 2009 11:45 pm at 11:45 pm |
  12. Ernest

Good morning everyone over there in US.
    I would like to congratulate you all for the step forward you have reached regarding political stability in your country. I wish President Obama good job on his presidency periods May God bless Obama and the people of United States of America. But do not forget to consider the peace situation in Middle East and Africa for the political leader who don't want to accept their rights like Zimbabwe, Guinea, Kenya etc.
    I am Ernest from Tanzania, East Africa

January 20, 2009 11:48 pm at 11:48 pm |
  13. Darryl Browne

CNN Thank You for making my Borock party turn out good I han my family and freind at myhome i had a borock cake made with his face on it, and had cnn on all day. thank you very much.

January 20, 2009 11:48 pm at 11:48 pm |
  14. Jason

That dress is so unclassy. Obamas wife needs to look at herself a little better in the mirror before she leaves the house. Geez...its all down hill from here Americans. We all can stick our heads between our legs and kiss our hind ends goodbye. We are headed down a rough road now. I want my stimulus check first tho...is it in the mail yet? I cant wait for Obama to spread the wealth around because I could use some extra money. I wonder if he will spread some of his money around? I doubt it!!!! OBAMA O'CRAP!!!!!

January 20, 2009 11:48 pm at 11:48 pm |
  15. diane delaney

i thought the first lady looked absolutely elegant and gorgeous

January 20, 2009 11:49 pm at 11:49 pm |
  16. coffee

The new First Lady seems to have a solid sense of style

January 20, 2009 11:51 pm at 11:51 pm |
  17. Yes We Can

Again, congratulations to President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama.

Thank you for being there for us.

We Love You All.

January 20, 2009 11:52 pm at 11:52 pm |
  18. vic

Welcome home to the beautiful new first family!
    We support you 100%!!
    A very big thank you to CNN for the excellent coverage of todays events....my tivo is full! LOL

January 20, 2009 11:54 pm at 11:54 pm |
  19. Sharon-NY

She looked beautiful, but never be closed to look of Jackie Kennedy
    or Laura Bush who were and is so elegant.

January 20, 2009 11:54 pm at 11:54 pm |
  20. Deborah Treadway

The Obamas are refusing to be forced to fit the Washington mold, to keep the status quo. Isn't that what we all wanted? New ideas, fresh faces, a new approach. They are determined to make everyone feel included and wanted, even new designers. He said it over and over again today–"This isn't about me. This is your day, your victory." If those in the former Washington elite have a problem with that, "Oh, well.....!!

January 21, 2009 12:01 am at 12:01 am |
  21. Bob C.

"Jason" is really Ann Coulter. She has no class and says such mean and stupid things.

January 21, 2009 12:04 am at 12:04 am |
  22. K

The gown looks like my grandmother's 1950's chenille bedspread. Atrocious! A train? Michelle looks very uncomfortable, constantly tugging at the dress from behind. The daytime choice was no more appropriate, sequins are best left for cocktail hour or later. Michelle needs a stylist to help her navigate what's appropriate and what's not. The fawning media is not doing her any favors by pretending to love the fashions.

January 21, 2009 12:04 am at 12:04 am |
  23. amused but happy in Vegas

@Jason January 20th, 2009 11:48 pm ET

That dress is so unclassy. Obamas wife needs to look at herself a little better in the mirror before she leaves the house. Geez…its all down hill from here Americans. We all can stick our heads between our legs and kiss our hind ends goodbye. We are headed down a rough road now. I want my stimulus check first tho…is it in the mail yet? I cant wait for Obama to spread the wealth around because I could use some extra money. I wonder if he will spread some of his money around? I doubt it!!!! OBAMA O'CRAP!!!!!

*******************************************

Unfortunately it is your malice and small-mindedness that will hurt you most.

January 21, 2009 12:05 am at 12:05 am |