January 20th, 2009
10 months ago

Bush's last day: Calls, candy and a flight to Midland

ALT TEXT

Former President Bush and his family departed the Capitol earlier Tuesday for Andrews Air Force Base. (Mike Roselli/CNN)

WASHINGTON (CNN) – On President Bush's final day in office, painters and cleaning crews were still working in the West Wing press offices. Moving crews heaved boxes and delicately carried paintings bound in bubble wrap. Other moving trucks were unloading boxes and carting them into the White House.

George W. Bush spent Tuesday morning making calls. He rang outgoing Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, former White House Chief of Staff Andy Card and former National Security Adviser Stephen Hadley.

The former president also had a conversation with his good friend the Rev. T.D. Jakes.

Jakes is the chief pastor of the nondenominational megachurch Potter's House in Dallas, Texas. He was in Washington to give a sermon Tuesday at St. John's Church, a short walk from the White House.

Full story

Filed under: President Bush
  1. PAC

Happy Mr. Potter's (Cheney) gone.

January 20, 2009 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  2. JR.

Good redance to bad news. And to all you who wish "God to bless" GGeorgie boy; you all are half the reason we are in this mess! Idiots!

January 20, 2009 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  3. JOYCE

I know one of the problems facing America. It is those people who have nothing good to say about anything. If you didn't like Bush, fine, he's gone. If you don't like Obama, yuo can vote in four years. In the meantime, help America out: Support our government and its leaders.

January 20, 2009 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  4. Minnesotan

Thank God for George Bush. Without his ineptitude, his religious sucking up, his uneducated opinions, his neo-con worship and his support of corruption, we wouldn't have the black, educated, geeky, wonderful president we have now. Thanks, Republicans, for being so backwards and hateful that America will now avoid your partisan hate, crony-istic policies, blatant lies and will probably be very wary of voting for your manure for decades to come. God Bless President Obama! (And I hope that Rush, Sean, and Bill-O the Clown choke every time they have to say that!)

January 20, 2009 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  5. Steve (the real one)

Shawn-GA good post! I am past tired of all the "Bush lied" crowd. If you people indeed have proof of anything it is you duty as a citizen to notify the proper authorities. If not could you be considered an accessory to this alleged crime?. Personally I believe you have no proof but are simple puking the same nosense you have been hearing and not thinking for yourselves. Secondly if he lied to the Congress, why did they vote for the war? Are they that gullible? And why are you simple enough to re-elect the simpleminded? None of you have any proof of anything! I am not a lawyer but even I could shut you down in a courtroom! None of you are calling for the arrest of your Congressmen/Women or Senator who voted for thwar/ Why is that? They would be just as culpable!

January 20, 2009 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  6. Rupert

Daryl said: "We will soon be longing for a President who means what he says and says what he means. You never had to guess where Bush stood. He stood on principles and not polls. God bless you Mr. President"

Well, there have been plenty of leaders that said what they meant too and stood on their principles. Guys like Hitler, Napoleon, Stalin, Castro, and the list goes on. You never had to guess where they stood. If those are the credentials for good leadership, I guess Bush is in good company. NEWS FLASH: the things that make for good or great leadership are GOOD principles along with saying and doing what one means. Bush and his administration have done more than any other leadership in American history to undo liberty and smash essentials of our constitution. Hopefully the damage can be undone. Bye bye Bush & Cheney, I hope I never have to see your faces again (unless of course it's for a war crimes tribunal).

January 20, 2009 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  7. steve

I wish he could serve a 3rd term as President.

January 20, 2009 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  8. Jason from Syracuse, New York

To Shawn Ga,

Thank you for that post. I agree whole heartedly. Bush is not the only one who dropped the ball and should not be scapegoated. He was only a symptom of the politics of that time, a terrible culmination of the foolishness of American PRIDE.

To Jason,

Good point. Obama would reprimand us for attacking a man who did not cause 9/11. Osama Bin Laden caused 9/11. However, Bush did let him go in favor of invading a sovereign nation that did NOT have any WMD's or connection with al quada. That was HIS choice and HIS decision. We should not blame him totally for the tanking economy but we can blame him for the loss of civil liberties (Patriot Act) as well as congress, we can blame him as well as congress for the invasion of iraq (Forgetting the very man we were supposed to be hunting) etc. But let us move on from the past and look to a brighter future. HISTORY HAS A WAY OF TEACHING US ALL...

January 20, 2009 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  9. Anonymous

Just like you blame everything on one person the president, i hope you hold EVERYTHing accountable to one person..obama.
    that's not how it works. please study your gov better and learn about the senate, oversite committes,etc.

i thank God Bush kept us safe and although I didnt vot for Obama , i hope he can make things better for all americans and keep us safe.

I am a true america. I love my country more than my party.

January 20, 2009 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  10. Russel in LA

You want real CHANGE....then change out all of Congress and make CONGRESS more accountable than the President.

Bush lied, people died? I guess Clinton, Pelosi, Reid and the rest of the dem's lied too. Lest you forget all the intelligence gathering came from the Clinton Era.

Who's the moron below who stated "thanks for not stopping Katrina" – what? now Bush is responsible for controlling mother nature too?

History will judge....not the Press or the media or the very short attention spans or memories of almost every liberal in the country.

The ignorance level of so me many completely astounds me. Thank you Bush, I hope one day we can only begin to understand the complexities and challenges you faced as our leader. All things considered, you did a good job.

January 20, 2009 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  11. Sick of negative

Come on Americans!! Bush may not have had a great ending to his time in office but if any of you idiots looked at the postitive side you would see the good he did!! He saved millions of lives with his health care and medicare help. He may not be popular now but he will emerge as the "Healing President" Yeah for Bush and Yeah for those smart enough to see beyond color!!!!!!!

January 20, 2009 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  12. yes me

Thank God bush kept us safe for all these years.
    Too many forgot how they felt 9/11.

Clinton was too busy with Monica to get Bin Laden.

Lets hope obama can do all he promises for all.

I am a true american. i love my country more than my party so I hope he keeps to his promises and makes MY life better.....

January 20, 2009 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |