January 20th, 2009

In case you missed it: Here's the presidential oath of office

(CNN) - Chief Justice John Roberts seemed to have some trouble administering the presidential oath of office Tuesday. Here is the actual oath in full, as laid out in Article II, Section I of the U.S. Constitution:

Barack Obama is sworn in as the 44th US president by Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts.

"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

Filed under: Inauguration
  1. FK

It was an uplifting and inspiring moment for me and my believe in America is forever sealed. God bless America.

January 20, 2009 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  2. batkiss

Blame the flub on Mercury Retrograde!

January 20, 2009 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  3. Paul Trip

I'm a Republican and I will say the onus is with the Chief Justice. He is the flubber and not the new President.

January 20, 2009 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  4. Doug

Too bad Roberts messed up the moment.

January 20, 2009 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  5. JD Harder

The world as we knew it yesterday and the day before that and the decade before that is about to change. I hope that this country is ready for it!!

January 20, 2009 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  6. jimmy cho

Just repeat after me... I do solemnly realize that CNN is in the tank with Obama. He can do no wrong.

Roberts messed it up and so did Obama.

If Obama knew the actual words, he would not have repeated it incorrectly after Roberts corrected himself. Listen to it again. It's all right there.

I am so sick of all of this obamabots and the CNN kissing his behind. He is president now. it's time to hold him accountable and not treat him like a rockstar.

January 20, 2009 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  7. Dan, TX

I think it is cute that they jointly messed it up. I'm sure they bonded in that moment in a way that will serve them both well as they check and balance each other.

The fact that it didn't go perfectly made me smile. Barack is so human!

January 20, 2009 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  8. Mojo in DC

Turner – Chief Justice Roberts didn't administer the oath to Biden. It was Justice Stevens. Get a grip and put those childish thoughts behind you...

January 20, 2009 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  9. Laurie Sweeney

Isn't it wonderful that he and Roberts are human? Of course, it is a hard act to follow President Bush who never made a verbal error or misstep.

January 20, 2009 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  10. Wow

Please people, go easy on Roberts.

He's the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States. You can't expect him to know the Constitution word for word, can you?

January 20, 2009 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  11. Kay Thom

OKAY all you Bush Haters... here it comes. It's our turn now. Get use to us not "cutting any slack". Get use to us not taking a step back to be critical of "every little thing".

None of you did... why should we? I watch with a critical eye. The hype is going to end and there might be a huge let-down. Let's just see.

One more thing:
    Thank God for George W Bush. I'm safe in my warm, cozy home, thanks to him. He made ME a promise, and he kept it. I'm free and I'm (still) safe from terror attacks. It's a promise I won't forget.

Can Obama make that same promise to ME? He hasn't yet.

January 20, 2009 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |