January 20th, 2009
8 months ago

Obama parade heads to White House

ALT TEXT

The president and first lady walked for portions of the parade route along Pennsylvania Avenue Tuesday. (Photo Credit: CNN)

WASHINGTON (CNN) - President Obama took to the street for part of his procession from the Capitol to the White House, prompting screams and chants of his names from spectators on the sidelines.

Watch: The president and first lady walk down Penn. Ave.

Obama, first lady Michelle Obama, Vice-President Joe Biden and his wife, Jill, left the limousines they were riding in and walked under heavy security from near the National Archives building to near the Justice Department. They then returned to their vehicles - although Biden climbed back out to walk the street and wave to the crowd again as they neared the White House.

The parade, which runs just under two miles, took Obama from the U.S. Capitol, where he had lunch with congressional leaders, to 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.

Filed under: Inauguration • President Obama
  1. Amos from Alabama

Wolfe, I am watching your news cast covering the Obama inauguration parade. More than once, you and Anderson Cooper have made references to the bus and the bus boycott happening in Birmingham. It was not Birmingham but Montgomery

January 20, 2009 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  2. Dawn T. Pittsburgh, PA

I'm overwhelmed with joy and reflective about this nation's history and what we went through to get to this moment. Years ago, I worked with the brother of slain civil rights worker Michael Schwerner of the slain trio Goodman, Chaney, and Schwerner. I can't help but wonder what he and his family are feeling today. Just like many African-Americans, his family paid the ultimate price too so all of us could see this day. Also, I thank God for the sacrifices of my ancestors. Today is a sweet reminder that they didn't die in vain.

I really admire President Obama's humility. It's so needed in leadership today. Well done President Obama and Mrs. Obama. Together we can change the world ;-)

January 20, 2009 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  3. Southern un-Comfortable

He might want to skip the Ball and get straight to work.

Here's a headliner for you, "STOCK MARKET PLUNGES ON CONFIDENCE OF NEW COMMANDER-IN-CHEIF".

Don't you know that's what it would be if it had been a conservative taking office. Come on media...where's your objectivity!!

January 20, 2009 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  4. CALIGAL

You guys are doing a great job today. Let's enoy it because tomorrow its back to the usual Washington Politics!!!!

January 20, 2009 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  5. Becky, Midwest

Gag me! I hope the media shut the hell up about Obama soon. They've all crammed him down our collectively throats for the past two years. Now they'll spend the next four years reporting what he favorite color is, how many times he chews his food, etc. I'm sick of it already.

January 20, 2009 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  6. Anonymous

Thank you, Amos, for straightening out the great Blitzer (he's sickening!) I am sick of hearing about the "bus" and the Rosa Parks story was on cable, first thing this morning. Come on people. Give us a break. How do you expect everyone to come together when the msm, television and anyone else that gives a speach, brings up the crap about the blacks. Odd to me, though, no one EVER mentions that their own people sold them into slavery! My family did not own any of them and the ones living now were not owned. If they were as persecuted as the Jews, I might have some sympathy but they weren't. You certainly don't hear the Jews bellyaching!

January 20, 2009 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  7. Blind Faith

Everyone has been so caught up with the fact that he's finally in Office to see that even as he was taking his Oath he inaccurately stated history. Claiming that he is the 44th American to take the Oath to be President. When in fact only 43 including Obama took the Oath. Grover Cleveland took the Oath twice ( He had a 4 year gap between terms). You would think with everyone who helped write his speech and how everyone is making it sound as if it should go into history as one of the best.....it'd be accurate. Now it's apparent everyone is caught up in the thought of what they want Obama to be, not what he truly is. If anyone were to give a speech regarding their job field, I would like to think they'd research it.

January 20, 2009 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  8. J.L.

Am I the only one being observant of Michelle Obama's facial expressions while she watches the parade with the President? The rolling of the eyes, the put off expressions, the annoyance on her face is not something you would expect of a woman who is married to and stands next to a Historic President. After all, this day is not about her or her! I am appalled and hope this is not a predictor of what the future holds for us.

January 20, 2009 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  9. Mrs Roberts

i think the coverage is great........ I just love seeing Obama, Joe, Michelle, and Jill be so common with the people............. If you dont like it, turn the channel, watch a movie, read a book for heavens sake........... Stop being such a pain BETH>...... Thats your own ignorance for still watching............. Dont swallow..........

January 20, 2009 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  10. Marc M

Market down 330+... so where is the hope? Where is the change?

Seems more like it's fear of what this man is going to do...

Watch what you asked for... you might actually get it.

January 20, 2009 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  11. K. Rodgers

You people are full of hatred and racism and everything that God is against. You better as well as all of us get down on our knees and pray for this country. These types of attitudes is why this great country is in the shape that it is morally. Rember we all have to answer to our creator and if you can do any better step up to the President's plate. See if you want the task of trying to deal with two wars, a bad economy, poor healthcare and the list is long. No I did not vote for Obama but I will not disrespect him, for in doing so I disrespect my maker and my savior.

January 20, 2009 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  12. Perry Hollis

Well he is IN! Now cut welfare by 50% so they willhave to work at something! Some have had had a free ride for 3 generations.

January 20, 2009 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  13. Bev

Oh good grief...worrying about Michelle Obama's face while watching the parade? How long did they have to stand there? What comments might have been made behind her? What serious thought may have crossed her mind? She was in all ways very gracious. This was an amazing day. Maybe just for today, people can put their petty side on the shelf and be part of the joy that fills the country.

January 20, 2009 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  14. Wisest one of All

The catastrophic train wreck that is the racist empty suit hussein nobama will soon be unleashed on the US. Proven Fact!

January 20, 2009 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |