January 20th, 2009

Schneider: The world watches America re-invent itself

People all over the world are seeing America re-invent itself.
People all over the world are seeing America re-invent itself.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - This event is getting huge amounts of attention all over the world. I got e-mails about Obama clubs meeting in the Netherlands and Indonesia –- thousands of fans gathering. I spoke to a radio audience in South Africa.

This is truly the re-branding of America. People all over the world are seeing America re-invent itself.

Filed under: Inauguration
  1. BB

Journalists have a responsibility to be mindful of their every word.

January 20, 2009 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  2. Allen

It's more like "WORLD WATCHES AMERICA DESTROY ITSELF."

January 20, 2009 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  3. TSM

This is a day in history!

January 20, 2009 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  4. JJ12345

We will see.

January 20, 2009 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  5. D Tomsik

So why is Wallstreet not reacting positively as the rest of the world appears to be?

January 20, 2009 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  6. TheBabeNemo

the Internet has slowed down immensely.....

we are jamming the systems !!!!!

January 20, 2009 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  7. Rev. Melvin Wilson

Thank God for a HUMAN President!

January 20, 2009 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  8. RealityKing

The media is re-branding itseld. America is the same..

January 20, 2009 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  9. Muthoni Muriu

As a new student of political history, a citizen of a country that was brutally colonialised by the British, the first generation not to find white people in positions of power, first not to have the 'colonial hangover', I was very cynical about the idea of the 'most powerful democracy'. In fact, it amused me to point out that if you judged the US against the commonly accepted principles of democracy, the US was keeping company with questionable quasi dictatorships. Today, as I watch the inauguration of the 44th President of the United States, a black man, the official keeper of a constitution that once considered him three forths of a man, I know there is a sixth principle. Not often cited but the greatest one of them all, the people's will. The ability of a people to rise above baser instincts and ingrained prejudices to recognise hope, grasp it and move as one with a unity of purpose that will change the course of the world's history. Once again, the US is in the front seat, setting an example for the world and claiming it's place as 'the most powerful democracy'.

A Kenyan Woman

January 20, 2009 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  10. William Grigley

Good Luck, President Barack Obama, This is the greatest event in the history of these United States. Many people have gone on in whom would not have visualized this historic day.

We are truly standing on the shoulders of a great cloud of witnesses. I offer my prayers and support to you as you lead our nation. Also, I will keep in prayer the Obama family.

January 20, 2009 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  11. Obama Victim

gullible fools everywhere...............oh my

January 20, 2009 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  12. Kenya

Why are the Kenyans celebrating? Look at the crowd, look closely... The honeymoon is almost over. Michelle Obama for president?

January 20, 2009 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  13. Yes We Can

Obama embodies the TRUE spirit of America its VISION and its PROMISE. There will be doubters, there always are, but he proved them wrong before and he will again. God bless America!!!

January 20, 2009 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  14. Frank Calderone (from Philadelphia,PA)

What a great day it is for you,me, and the rest of the World history has just been made. President Obama will make this country better with his amazing plans on Education,Technology,Crime, and the Economy.

I feel so great to have voted for Obama because we need a President to bring change,peace,happiness, and to bring all of us together and make this County number one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHAT A GREAT DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 20, 2009 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  15. Scott

To the vultures who frequent forums, blogs and comment lists like this... you will have to realize that you will not win. You may not like the new president, and you can crow and scream and whine about the direction of the country. But you will not win. Patriotism will win. Change will win. Hope will win. Our prayers of hope, peace, prosperity and freedom will win.

You can try to tear us down. You can rattle the cages on your black iron prison of fear, of intolerance, of depression, of cynicism. You have that freedom.

But you don't stand a chance against our prayer.

So we extend our hand. Will you unclench your fist?

January 20, 2009 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  16. S Callahan

I think I smell the ink of newly signed contract for windmills...........

January 20, 2009 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  17. Berrytarte

I thought that the "booing" of our now former President and Vice Presidents, Bush and Cheney was a bit on the disrespectful side. It showed very poor taste to the world who was watching.

I personally think the new Presidency is a mistake. Obama is too radical and wanting to change some things too fast withyout thinking. I believe the world sees him as a weak policy maker and tht makes us a weak nation. I hope I am wrong. Time will tell.

January 20, 2009 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  18. Delali Pearce-Kporha(Amasaman, GHANA)

Whether you wish it or not, this certainly is the start of the remaking of America. Its gonna be like me refreshing this page after I post my comment. Something is gonna change people.

January 20, 2009 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  19. sharon

why did carter snub the clintons in the hall. he shook senior bush hand and hugged mrs bush. totally ignored both the clintons.

whats his problem

January 20, 2009 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  20. rose

America has awakened from a stupor...or should I say stupid.

January 20, 2009 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  21. Angela

This is the day that the Lord has made!!!! Rejoice and be GLAD!!!!

January 20, 2009 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  22. Amber

Progressives and Moderates are watching the inauguration hopeful and attentive, Conservatives come here to complain because they have no new ideas.

January 20, 2009 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  23. Save My Hard Earned $$

As a Student of History, I am wondering who's books you are reading Muthoni? In History, most Dictatorships do not have free and open elections do they ? Most dictatorships harm their own citizens to keep them in line. You need to take a very big step back and review what you are saying.

January 20, 2009 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  24. HAPPY IN SC

THIS IS TRULY A GREAT DAY FOR AMERICA. I AM GLAD TO BE A PART OF IT. DESPITE WHAT ANYONE BELIEVES, I BELIEVE AMERICA MADE A GREAT CHOICE. WE HAVE TO REMEBER TO GIVE TIME FOR CHANGE IT WILL NOT HAPPEN OVER NIGHT, BUT IT WILL HAPPEN

January 20, 2009 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  25. FreeNLovIt

To Berry...

He's got training wheels on, but that's okay. He's got the left-hand of the Clintons and the left-hand of Gates and Jones. He will be STRONG. His first priority is to fight like a knight and kill the dragon of greed and let innovation take over America. We are 350 million STRONG and nothing can stop America, if we BELIEVE. Remember, Thomas Edison created the light bulbs after 1000th tries. Patience, vision and judgment will carry America.

What doesnt KILL you, will make you stronger – Genghis Khan