January 21st, 2009
7 months ago

A major Bush rule gets scrapped by Obama

What’s missing in this picture?
What’s missing in this picture?

(CNN) - It's the same Oval Office. The same desk. Even the same curtains. But President Obama has already made one major change: Go through eight years of White House photos, and you won't find one of former President Bush in the Oval Office without his jacket on.

It wasn't just a personal preference. In the Bush administration, it was a rule: Jackets in the Oval Office - and now, it seems, one of the first Bush-era regulations to get scrapped in the Obama White House.

– CNN's John King contributed to this report

Filed under: Popular Posts • President Obama
  1. April

Okay Obamabots. This is what it is. WHEN YOU ARE IN ROME DO AS THE ROMANS AND YOU MUST ALWAYS GIVE THE ROMANS WHAT THEY WANT. OBAMA IS IN THE WHITE HOUSE; IT IS A SACRED PLACE AND MUST DRESS ACCORDINGLY. I AM NOT GOING TO WAKE UP ONE DAY AND SOMEONE TELLS ME, MY PRESIDENT IS SITTING IN THE OVAL OFFICE WITH HIS SHORTS AND HAWAIIN SHIRT ON OR HE IS WEARING BAGGY PANTS WITH HIS BELT WRAPPED AROUND HIS THIGHS. YOU CAN HAVE THE WORK DONE AND STILL KEEP THE DRESS CODE. WE CANNOT HAVE THAT SLICKINESS IN THE OVAL OFFICE. CAMPAIGN TRAIL WAS OKAY. NOW YOU ARE IN THE PEOPLES HOME AND YOU MUST RESPECT THE PEOPLE WHO PUT YOU THERE BY FIRST DRESSING APPROPRIATELY. YOU WANTED TO BE THE PRESIDENT OF UNITED STATES, NOW "BE THE PRESIDENT" STARTING WITH THE DRESS CODE. ALSO, THE ATTITUDE MUST BE ADJUSTED ACCORDINGLY. I LIKE TO SEE MY PRESIDENT DRESS UP IMMACULATELY EVERY SINGLE DAY, SNOW, RAIN OR SHINE AND MUST HAVE SENSE OF HUMOR. NONE OF THAT STARCHINESS. OKAY. RESPECT FOR THE OFFICE. "NO JIVING". GOT IT.

January 21, 2009 11:40 pm at 11:40 pm |
  2. Anonymous

Who CARES???this isn't news nor is it even important

January 21, 2009 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  3. eric o

We have suffered through a terrible time of deception, greed and self interest with the last administration. To use an old Reganism, "Do you feel better off today than you did 8 years ago?"

I find it hard to swallow that Mr. Bush will likely be remembered as our savior from terrorism for starting and sustaining multiple wars. But that will probably happen.

I hope that it will not be forgotten that he also brought this country to it's knees before leaving office. A mess that the rest of us must clean up.

President Obama should be wearing overalls and leather work gloves for the dirty job that has been left to him. My support and best wishes go out to him and any others who are willing to take on this challenge.

-e

January 21, 2009 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  4. B Hartsock

Come on people....If what he wears while in the office is that important then it obvious we have a lot to worry about in the next 4 years. I will give Obama the chance to prove himself; although I feel the public as a whole has put a lot of blame on Bush for our problems which a lot he could not control due to the Democrat congress we have had for the past 8 years. Im worried the the American public has been to anxious for a change that they have not fully researched and actually "cared" who we have for President; everybody wants a change...lets see what happens!!!!

January 21, 2009 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  5. phil G

people who do real work, take off thier jackets... I do not think Mr. Bush work at all... Thanks Mr. Obama for showing on your first day that you are ready to work.. Now John King please find a better story to report that a jacket

January 21, 2009 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |
  6. Grant

Most of the prominent individuals who enter the Oval Office to discuss matters of national interest will be well and formally dressed out of respect for the President and the venue. Is it not appropriate for Him to dress correspondingly?

January 21, 2009 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |
  7. Dick c.

He doesn't want to stink up his coat when hes out back smoking Newports.

can't blame the bruther.

January 21, 2009 11:46 pm at 11:46 pm |
  8. Anonymous

CNN, please post a more news worthy article. This article title wasted my time clicking into it to find out it is nothing worth reading.

January 21, 2009 11:47 pm at 11:47 pm |
  9. GOMAB

"President Barack Obama has spent much of his career fighting to strengthen civil rights as a civil rights attorney, community organizer, Illinois State Senator, U.S. Senator, and now as President. Whether promoting economic opportunity, working to improve our nation's education and health system, or protecting the right to vote, President Obama has been a powerful advocate for our civil rights."

I am sure he will get the job done. So stop the hate.

January 21, 2009 11:47 pm at 11:47 pm |
  10. Adil Javed

Obama is a smart man. You take small steps when you start cleaning up the mess. This is exactly what he is going to do (at least what we expect him to do). He has to clean up George Bush's mess and hopefully America wont be lead by someone like George Bush again. The world has some great expectations from this man and I personally beleive he will stand up to the task. We all support him and I personally wish him and all his fellow Americans all the best. He brings hope to not only Americans but to everyone in every nation. I look forward to America and Americans gaining their respect back in the global community! I also hope he implements a better foreign policy for Middle East.

January 21, 2009 11:48 pm at 11:48 pm |
  11. bob in LA

"If you're going to get the job wrong , at least dress for success"-GW Bush

January 21, 2009 11:53 pm at 11:53 pm |
  12. John Williams

Good riddance Bush.

January 21, 2009 11:53 pm at 11:53 pm |
  13. Dee

Why not live by the words, if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.
    8 yrs, of bashing President Bush was a shame full thing for American's to do.
    Don't follow that same pattern, If you can do a better job then our Presidents, then why are you not in office.?

Have you really listened to your selves?
    Now leave our new President do what ever he fills is best for him and our country. That is what we pay him for. I don't think just any one could just walk into his office. but staff. So what is the big deal.
    He was not at some meeting, just on the phone.
    We Americans can't even be in peace, with each other. Someone is always putting someone down. It would be wonderful if we just would look for the good in people. Think about it, when do you do your best, when being critized or complemented? Remember none of us are perfect. Lets have peace on this earth, Let it begin with you.

January 21, 2009 11:53 pm at 11:53 pm |
  14. Ivonne

I agree with you Steve!!

January 21, 2009 11:55 pm at 11:55 pm |
  15. Airforce Wife

Amazing really, all the bashing on both sides.

Seriously, if people want to be taken seriously in their arguments for or against either Bush or Obama they should site where they are acquiring their 'proof' for or against. Oh and do be sure that you can prove all the negativity with more than just a blog from some joe shmoe.

Bush got stuck with a real crappy deal all the way around, in regards to Iraq. I don't agree with the continued war, I'd prefer to bring our troops home, let them blow each other up if that's their choice. Our troops should Not be used as the "World Police".

I didn't vote for Obama, Not because of his race either... Mainly because it was never truly proven if he IS a US citizen, as well as many other things that Obama believes, which I do not. Top for me, Our Second Amendment. Very important to me and many others like me.

When I see photos of the Oval Office, for some reason it makes me think of coat & tie type apparel. Whatever floats the boat though I suppose.

People, regardless if you are Dem. or Rep. Please knock off the racial commentary. It's demeaning, degrading and just plain childish behaviour.

January 21, 2009 11:55 pm at 11:55 pm |
  16. SueB

Rave, are you serious? Typical, or actually more blatent since you accomplished it in a mere 3 sentence, double standard BS! Your entry: "For god's sake he is our President and learn to respect him. I don't know if there is any living organism on this planet who will miss Bush. We had a chimp in the white house for past 8 years.. what did he do ????" In case you didn't know, Bush was our president but based on your rant you obviously didn't respect him.

January 21, 2009 11:56 pm at 11:56 pm |
  17. Tim

Well, at least he isn't being disrespectful by having sex with an intern in The Oval Office.

I think it's a great tradition and a sign of respect but if I'm not mistaken, it's ENTERING the office with a jacket on. I don't believe it was leaving it on at all times.

January 21, 2009 11:59 pm at 11:59 pm |
  18. Grisel

This is ridiculous who cares what the President wears as long as he gets the job done......

January 21, 2009 11:59 pm at 11:59 pm |
  19. carol kesling

there are alot of sore republican LOSERS on the blog tonite.............. youve had your 8 years & nothing got done !!!!!!!!!!!!!! now its our turn............childish crybabies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 22, 2009 12:01 am at 12:01 am |
  20. JoJo

Now that is change we can believe in!

January 22, 2009 12:04 am at 12:04 am |
  21. Comment

Cnn

You make an effort to report that Obama changed a rule about a jacket being worn or not worn, but you can't make an effort to report Obama's changes of ethic rules. Ya I know, that's too much like right.

January 22, 2009 12:04 am at 12:04 am |
  22. NJccd21

yeah i know what's missing. paperwork. I wish Obama the best but hes only going to be Pelosi, thug jack murtha and Ted Kennedy's puppet. Obama will make close to no decisions this entire term. He will serve only as a rallier, the face of the country and a spokesperson...nothing more. All all the dems have been chomping at the bit for this day to push their own agendas and have their way with this country and they now have it.

January 22, 2009 12:05 am at 12:05 am |
  23. S. Hatley

Obama could get down to his t-shirt and boxers for all I care, but it is not humanly possible for him to deliver on the majority of the promises. I don't want that Marxist-Socialist in office one day longer than he has to be. I wish I could be there to witness the faces of all the absurdly naive morons who voted for this slick talking ad man, as they snap out of their trances and realize that thier false god can't walk on water after all.

January 22, 2009 12:06 am at 12:06 am |
  24. D

...a long as he keeps his pants on, I could care less!!! :D

January 22, 2009 12:06 am at 12:06 am |
  25. David

To me, it means that we now have a working president. And he understands that jackets are far less important than jobs.

January 22, 2009 12:07 am at 12:07 am |