January 21st, 2009
8 months ago

BREAKING: Clinton confirmed as Secretary of State

WASHINGTON (CNN) - The U.S. Senate approved the nomination of Hillary Clinton as secretary of state Wednesday by a vote of 94-2.

Full story

1. rachel

Yeah Hillary

January 21, 2009 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  2. Kathryn Stager

I am so happy and relieved. I've been glued to the tube for a day and a half now, watching everything but finding out Sen. Clinton wasn't sworn in was like a slap in the face to everyone who backed her until she told us to vote for Obama, it was a dirty trick holding out until the day after.
    But, now everything is a thousand percent better, I can get back to my life and she can get on with her new job.

Sincerrely, Kay

January 21, 2009 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  3. Katie in Pennsylvania

I didn't vote for her in the primary, but still I think she'll make an awesome Secretary of State.

January 21, 2009 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  4. S Callahan

I knew there was a reason I just bought a large bottle of Advil.....

The headaces begin....my gut tells me this is wrong......I hope I am wrong.

January 21, 2009 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  5. MJK

Great. Now all of us New Yorkers can get a real Senator to represent us instead of that carpetbagger.

January 21, 2009 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  6. vincent - phoenix

Congratulations, Madame Secretary.

January 21, 2009 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  7. Willy Brown

Another "Change" canidate. NOT! The Clinton's are back. Oh and Obama is president now.

January 21, 2009 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  8. DC Madam Speed Dial

Vitter is a clown. The man on the DC Madam's phone records does not need to lecture Hillary about ethics.

January 21, 2009 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  9. Robert Suttle

Way to go Hillary!! She will be great in this role.

January 21, 2009 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  10. frank castillo

Obama is going about his cabinet the right way. He's not appointing "yes men" around him; we all saw how well that went last presidential term. He understands a great leader needs people who don't always see eye to eye with you. Sometimes you need a different point of view to point out the flaws of your plans. No worries here, I trust this man is doing the right thing, regardless if the economy struggles for a few years.

January 21, 2009 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  11. Mike Dallas

But not without some rethug grandstanding by Cornyn.

January 21, 2009 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  12. shoegazer

94-2,I once played in a little league game with that same score.It was against the junior republicans.

January 21, 2009 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  13. Kelsey

I used to have a problem with her, but after seeing how she conducted herself after she lost, I have a lot of respect for her. So glad she has this job and I cant wait to see what she will do for us!!

January 21, 2009 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  14. ck

God help us all, we're gonna need it!

January 21, 2009 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  15. History Guy

"The two no votes came from Republican Sens. David Vitter of Louisiana and Jim DeMint of South Carolina."

I guess Cornyn wasn't all that concerned about Bill's foundation after all. Got to love Con obstructionism for no other reason than to play politics.

January 21, 2009 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  16. Alex

She would be better here than at VP.

January 21, 2009 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  17. Vietnam COMBAT Vet, OHIO

I supported Obama all the way, but not his choice of Hillary

January 21, 2009 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  18. kate

Congratulations Madame Secretary! So happy for Hillary! President Obama & now Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, it just keeps getting better!

January 21, 2009 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  19. chuck

CONGRATULATIONS TO HILARY CLINTON.IT WAS JUST A MATTER OF TIME. HILARY IS FULLY QUALIFIED FOR THE JOB.

January 21, 2009 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  20. catmom

You know Allen it's funny how you claim that the Clinton's serve no one but themselves. It seems that during the eight years of Bill Clinton we had relative peace and prosperity. When Clinton left office we were not in any wars, we were a respected country, jobs were plenty and the economy was great. My goodness, Clinton even left our country with a surplus. It seems that the Clinton's put the country first. Can you say the same about the eight years of George Bush?
    Secretary of State Hillary Clinton will be just fine, I would say a whole lot better than the previous Secretary of State. What after all did Condalesa Rice accomplish?

January 21, 2009 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  21. Sonny

Change!! Obviously the americans are strangers to the clintons. Lol what a hag

January 21, 2009 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  22. ah

Congratulations to Hillary! We love you.

January 21, 2009 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  23. Observant

Great Job Senators!! Go Hillary!! What are they afraid of ? Oh yeah!! she smart.

January 21, 2009 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  24. PA

Great! GO Hillary! A little late getting started thanks to the Repubs but as they say better late than never and 94 to 2 would have never been the latter. But Hillary make sure you call the Louisianna and South Carolina Govs every week to report your financial statements! :-)

January 21, 2009 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  25. Peter (CA)

Vitter? Really?

Guess he does not look past the skeletons in someone's closet.

Then again, he'd might want to do a thorough cleaning of his first.

January 21, 2009 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |