January 21st, 2009
11 months ago

BREAKING: Clinton confirmed as Secretary of State

WASHINGTON (CNN) - The U.S. Senate approved the nomination of Hillary Clinton as secretary of state Wednesday by a vote of 94-2.

The two no votes came from Republican Sens. David Vitter of Louisiana and Jim DeMint of South Carolina.

Full story

1. cefebe

Congratulation to US for the best choice.

January 21, 2009 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  2. Shirley in California

How unfortunate.

January 21, 2009 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  3. Herbie

LET THE WOMAN DO HER JOB AND BACK HER 100%

January 21, 2009 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  4. sandee in Portland

Even though I support President Obama completely, I am not in favor of a Clinton being in any position of our government. And....for those that say it was so great while Bill was in office....yes, the times were good but when it was time for him to leave, we were actually in a recession as well. So, he's not perfect!

January 21, 2009 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  5. Mari

CONGRATULATIONS SEC. OF STATE HILLARY RODHAM CLINTON!

HOPE WON.... HOPE WON........ HOPE WON........ HOPE WON......... !

January 21, 2009 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  6. Ann

Good luck Hillary. If there is any hope, it is your hard work and good mind that might produce some results. Too bad Americans didn't realize they could use this for solving their domestic issues too. Let them tight the belt and do your work around the world. Don't forget the greatest inequity of all: the way women are treated everywhere around the world. You are our champion. God bless you.

January 21, 2009 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  7. Sue

@canuck,
    I saw Bay Buchanon on TV yesterday-she thinks Sarah is brilliant and qualified. Excuse me if I don't read her book on Clinton.
    That said, Congratulations, Madame Secretary!

January 21, 2009 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  8. Steve

After voting, Vitter went out to celebrate with a couple of hookers.

January 21, 2009 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  9. Kelly

Hillary will be a FANTASTIC Sec. of State. She is very diplomatic, tactful, has good insight and is Extremley Intelligent.
    She id the BEST ONE that Obama has chosen for his cabinet.

January 21, 2009 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  10. ED RYAN

I am so delighted that Hillary made it. It is so good for our country. We are now on track to repair our world wide damage.

Thank you so much.

January 21, 2009 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  11. Lilarose in Bandon, Oregon

I think and am hoping the Republicans aka Obstructionists will become an extinct species within the next four years.

January 21, 2009 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  12. Chris in Va.

@ a canuck......you would actually believe ANYTHING the extremely partisan Republican Bay Buchannan had to say about a Democrat. She makes her father Pat look like a card carrying liberal compared to herself. I guess you believed everything that hack wrote about Obama in "Obamanation" also. Why are you commenting on American politics anyway?

January 21, 2009 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  13. Ron , West Coast

Congradulations Madame Secretary !!!!!

January 21, 2009 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  14. Lady Irma

I voted for Obama but the appointment of Clinton has me scratching my head. Of all the truly talented & experienced people available why pick someone with such a questionable ethical background? And someone so close to Bill Clinton; an acknowledged liar who has collected millions in cash from governments Hillary will now be dealing with.
    Oh well. Time will tell.

January 21, 2009 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  15. S.LEE

GOOD GOOD GOOD....
    BRAVO SENATE! ABOUT TIME YOU GUYS DID SOMETHING RIGHT-

January 21, 2009 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  16. NorCalGal

I am happy to read this, I think Hillary will make a perfect Sec of State, although I think this is going to be a huge money making opportuntiy for the GOP in the next election!

Keep it clean Bill and do your wife and our country right!

January 21, 2009 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  17. midwest mom

Go get'em Hillary....go fix what 8 years of Bush-antics destroyed...if anyone can do it , it is YOU! Good luck, God Bless, I will sleep better tonight knowing you are in charge of foreign policy! Way to go!!!!

January 21, 2009 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  18. MARIE

Congradulations Secretary Of State Hillary!

January 21, 2009 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  19. Once you vote Black

Operation Chaos is going swimmingly. Better to have her in the tent pissing out then out of the tent pissing in. I think she will do a good job of ball busting other leaders for Obama. Why to put a harnest on her energy big Daddy O!

January 21, 2009 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  20. Don

Jim DeMent is my Senator....and we in SC are sorry for his stupidty. Congrats Hillary.

January 21, 2009 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  21. No Hillary = No Obama

Clinton will be the engine that powers the display case known as the Oval Office.

January 21, 2009 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  22. Obama 2.0

Congrats Secretary Clinton. Those two clowns that voted against you do not hold a candle to you. Even if you stack them on top of each other. While they star in Dumb & Dumber you will be working hand in hand with Democrats & Republicans to forge world alliances and peace in this very serious times we are in. All I can say to the two Senators is that you will have a lot of explaining to your constituents about why you think stalling is cool.

January 21, 2009 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  23. Mike, Syracuse NY

@PA, it was a fricking one day delay.
    @Gabe, Does that mean you're like Michelle Obama and weren't pround of your country before the last 2 days? I've always been proud of my country, and it's the same country it was 2 days ago, or 2 years ago. We have always been the land of opportunity, and yesterday was inevitable. Stop selling us short!

January 21, 2009 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  24. Becky, Midwest

Finally! God forbid they confirm a smart, intelligent, connected, accomplished woman. This is fabulous and Obama will need her to help dig us out of the hole that Bush created. I will always admire her for the crap she has endured for decades.

Ha! Ha! stupid republicans that voted against her. The lady is still standing no matter how much you try to knock her down. She's tough and she's a survivor.

January 21, 2009 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  25. Erika, KS

Oh, Allen dear, I think you have that wrong. Obama is the one who serves only Obama. Hillary Clinton has been serving the poor, black, disenfranchised since she was in college! I wanted Hillary to be President. I then wanted her to stay in the Senate. We'll see what happens. She will get things done regardless of where she is or what she does.

January 21, 2009 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |