January 21st, 2009
11 months ago

McCain pushes for Clinton confirmation in Senate Floor speech

McCain urged a quick vote to confirm Clinton.
McCain urged a quick vote to confirm Clinton.

(CNN) – John McCain on Wednesday used his first Senate floor speech since the end of the presidential campaign to urge his colleagues to quickly confirm fellow Sen. Hillary Clinton as secretary of state.

"I think the message that the American people are sending us now is they want us to work together and get to work," McCain said. "I think we ought to let Senator Clinton, who is obviously qualified and obviously will serve, get to work immediately."

The Senate is expected to easily confirm Clinton Wednesday afternoon, and McCain's particular support of the New York senator isn't surprising.

McCain confidantes tell CNN the Arizona senator developed a genuinely deep admiration for Clinton during the drawn-out Democratic primary process. Both senators also sit on the Armed Services Committee and had become close on several congressional delegation trips abroad.

McCain's Senate floor speech comes as the Arizona senator is planning to get back in the spotlight after keeping a low profile in the three months after the election. McCain aides told CNN the former Republican presidential nominee has pledged to work with President Obama on a range of issues on which the two agree.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • John McCain
  1. Vern

HUlamama51 – I know you're not serious. Do you really believe that Palin was or is more qualified than Clinton. That koolaid you're drinking must be real sweet.

January 21, 2009 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  2. Bill Thomas

John McCain a real Republican. That is why I am an Independent. Clinton's! I have always said, "I would not let them watch my dog".

January 21, 2009 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  3. itbeme

I have to ask myself....if Billy Boys connections are a problem for Hillary as SOS, wouldn't they have been an even BIGGER problem for Hillary are President??? Why wasn't this an issue when she was still running for Pres?

January 21, 2009 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  4. Bill Thomas

Hey all of you Socialist loving, mindless Liberals: You all come off as being civil, polite and sooooooooo correct; Truth is, you are the ones that live in an alternate reality dictated by emotion, ignoring facts and truth.

Now all of you get in line and be nice as we march off the cliff. TIME WILL PROVE YOU WRONG. Hope, Change and BS.....Ask anyone living in communism.

January 21, 2009 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  5. Mick in Mesa

McCain finally won me over. For sure, one has to pay attention when he opposes any of the Dems ideas going forward. You'll know it's fair and considered opposition and Sen. McCain comments have to be taken evaluated seriously...

January 21, 2009 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  6. Michael

I am not surprised by the detractors; the wounds are fresh. Time heals.
    I am a bit taken aback by some of the President's and McCain's supporters attacks on those people though.
    If you truly support Obama and what McCain is trying to do, then do what has been asked. Move forward with a renewed sense of hope and cooperation
    Let the nasayers get it put of their system
    Gently urge them forward with open arms and understanding
    McCain is wise, this is truly what America needs and he knows it
    He is leading by example and we should follow his lead.. If others cannot yet join in, it is ok, just keep leading
    Once the wisdom of this path proves out, they will follow
    Patience, hope and understanding are the watchwords of this hour

January 21, 2009 10:15 pm at 10:15 pm |