January 22nd, 2009
8 months ago

Gibbs: Obama enjoys 'living above the company store'

A senior aide to the president credited the family routine set up by the first lady for easing the Obamas' transition into White House life.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – The Obamas are settling into the new home just fine, White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs said Thursday.

The new president “enjoys – to use a phrase - living above the company store,” said Gibbs. Yesterday, between two events, Obama went upstairs to have dinner with the first lady and the couple’s two daughters. “That obviously means a lot to him as a father,” said Gibbs.

The Obamas’ ability to adjust to all of the changes in their lives, including three moves in the past few weeks, “is a monumental testament to Michelle,” Gibbs told reporters.

“The girls have always had a very strong routine that’s kept them away from all of this,” Gibbs said as he gestured toward the White House press corps that was overcrowding the briefing room.

“They’re very much the same four people that I met five years ago when I went to work for him,” said Gibbs.

But the adjustment to life in the White House has not been completely flawless; the 44th president has had to learn his way around the historic residence.

“It’s a pretty big house,” Gibbs also said Thursday. “At the end of the first night, he had to ask somebody where he was supposed to go next.”

Filed under: Obama family
  1. Pam for America & Obama

Jon in CA
    There you are again you nut case. Didn't your Mama tell about not saying anything at all if you can't say something nice. They could report is was raining gold and you would find something negative to say. All this money is hitting me ...ouch ouch, that hurts...stop hitting me with that money!
    I think it is wonderful he can do this monumental job and still find time to spend with his family.

January 22, 2009 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  2. Debby

What did they have to eat CNN????

January 22, 2009 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  3. Alice Newman Center Harbor NH

What a pleasure to read positive comments ... maybe hope, hard work and intelligence will triumph over the bitter partisan politics ,,, and putting America first, really putting America first will be the new "in" attitude to have!

January 22, 2009 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  4. yellow dog democrat

Jon in CA – you are an idiot!!
    as is April – what are you the "fashion police" ??

at least this President is working and he is working for the likes of you! thank you very much! Obama did what he said – he has hit the ground running and he and his team are tackling immense problems that affect this country and the rest of the planet – what have you 2 morons done for anyone lately but run your mouths??

January 22, 2009 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  5. Pam

Gibbs: Obama enjoys 'living above the company store'
    ---------–
    What a tacky thing to say! It's not the Obama & Co "company store." It's "The People's House"!!!!!!!

January 22, 2009 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  6. AFSCME Gay for Obama!

Wow -Jon in CA--a bit judgemental aren't you!

January 22, 2009 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  7. JM

I didn't vote for him, but I am hoping and praying he proves me wrong. I have never had a personal problem with him. I admire his family, and his wife especially (as a fellow female attorney myself). His daughters are utterly beautiful, and there is something truly refreshing about children in the White House. God speed and good luck.

January 22, 2009 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  8. Proud American

OK Idiot Republicans lay off. Don't be losers your entire lives.

January 22, 2009 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  9. Can

A family truly deserves to be in the WH.
    Hi Gibbs- next time, could you address Mrs. Obama as first lady at the press conference please.

January 22, 2009 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  10. Yoursef Icepole

>Funny, his smoking doesn't seem to bother him as a father. Yeah, who cares if little obama-babies reek of 2nd hand smoke and inhale carcinogens… daddy showed up for dinner!!

Dude, Obama quit smoking.

January 22, 2009 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  11. Sherrol in Canada

Just lovely!!! God bless and protect the First family. I have to admit that I don't know half the time what's going on in my own back yard of Toronto where politics is concerned. I tune into CNN every day to see and hear every tidbit about the President and his administration.

January 22, 2009 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |