January 22nd, 2009
7 months ago

iReport: 'Survivors of the purple tunnel of doom' weigh in

One iReporter submitted this “purple tunnel” photo.
One iReporter submitted this “purple tunnel” photo.

The oath of office flub wasn't the only Inauguration Day snafu: Thousands of ticket-holders were trapped in a tunnel just yards away from the site of President Obama's swearing-in. Already, more than three thousand have joined the "Survivors of the Purple Tunnel of Doom" Facebook group - and many have posted images of their experience on iReport.com.

Were you a purple ticket-holder? Share your Inauguration Day experience on
iReport.com.

Filed under: Inauguration • iReport
  1. JC in SC

On a rainy Sunday morning in September, when the most activity you see is pick-up soggy soccer games, I would have to expect transportation delays, parking issues, and lines at a local diner in and around the mall in DC. What in God's creation were these humans doing on obviously a day off work anywhere but in the comfort of their living rooms, in a ring-side seat, watching the inauguration on TV. Geez! Did they think there would not be enough people there to "represent"?

January 22, 2009 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  2. demwit

Like they would have missed seeing him repeat the oath...

January 22, 2009 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  3. Katie in Pennsylvania

I watched the inauguration from the comfort of my living room. Hooray for C-SPAN!

January 22, 2009 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  4. R

They should have known to leave early. I'm so happy I wasn't in this tunnel. They would have been at least near the Capitol if they came early.

January 22, 2009 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  5. Obama Victim

get a life

January 22, 2009 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  6. Everett Pusey

I say to all you Obama worshippers, you all ARE in a purple tunnel of doom, period.

January 22, 2009 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  7. Lori

I didn't have a ticket, I didn't go, I couldn't watch it live, I worked all day, I live in the Midwest, but darn it, I sure had fun when I got off work, watched all the special programming that night, channel jumped to catch as much fashion, speeches, anything I could get before my computer locked up–and the pictures from space were incredible! And to everybody else, just ignore the idiots, because that's what they are....

January 22, 2009 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  8. Anonymous

I was there. I arrived at 7 am and was not admitted to the grounds. Perhaps we are all whiners. Or perhaps, we are just disappointed that nothing has changed. Terrence Gainer was the Capitol police chief at Bush's 2nd inauguration and didn't get all the ticketed people in. He is now the senate sergeant at arms and said yesterday that this was no big deal because most people got in. I think it's time for a change to someone who at least admits this was a mistake and should be avoided next time.

I stood near people who arrived at 4 am. Is that not early enough? There were no police, no volunteers, nobody. It was pathetic. Instead of making excuses the security should release a polite statement apologizing for the failure but emphasizing the importance of keeping everyone safe and promising to address the issues in the future.

January 22, 2009 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  9. phyllicia

I just thank God that the day has come for a portion of the DREAM to be actualized and the day for Old Timers doom is sure (in hell). It's not too late to change your racists evil ways dude.

January 22, 2009 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  10. Jackie Hontz

We had purple tickets. Took the train directly from Fredericksburg to Union Station and walked down Louisiana Avenue to the Purple Gate. Piece of cake! There was a crowd, and we had about an hour's wait to funnel through the gate to the metal detectors, but it all seemed pretty simple. Perhaps the difficulty was with people trying to make their way from the Judiciary Square Metro as recommended in the paperwork. Union Station turned out to be the best connector.

January 22, 2009 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  11. Don

people were warned that this could happen....I was shocked to see people complaining on TV about how they purchased tickets( for a free event) and they couldn't get were they needed to be. I wanted to go...but I had a better view from my DVR....and I was just as happy and very warm.

January 22, 2009 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  12. Oilengineer

Pam from Oregon.

Your nose is dirty. He's been in office two days and you're still singing his praise like it's campaign season. Nobody has changed their opinion of the country overnight. I travel constantly and never perceived this "negative opinion of the US" that you seem to think exists.

Obama is nothing at the moment. A celebrity who took office running on what now appear to be empty promises. Ronald Reagan did the same thing and was a great President. I hope Obama turns out to be the same. Until then, he's just a President who hasn't done a darn thing but given speeches and talk about what he is GOING to do. When Gitmo ACTUALLY closes, he gets credit. When the recession improves he gets credit (if it improves from his actions and not naturally). You can't sit and talk about how brilliant somebody is when they haven't DONE ANYTHING. Are you brainwashed or just clueless?

January 22, 2009 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  13. Bushistoblame

I blame Bush and Cheney for this tunnel mess. I suspect Haliburton was also involved and perhaps Blackwater. Keith Olbermann and Rachel Maddow should demand the establishment of a tunnel crimes tribunal to prosecute Bush and Cheney for this miscarriage of justice.

January 22, 2009 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  14. WHINE WHNE WHINE!!!

I can't imagine wanting to stand in the cold around a crowd of people just for a chance to "maybe catch a glance" of Obama's head. You should have stayed at home and watched it on TV like I did. I was nice and snuggly warm and comfortable watching my big screen TV.

January 22, 2009 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |