January 22nd, 2009
11 months ago

Senate Committee endorses Geithner for Treasury

Geithner has been approved by the Senate Finance Committee.
Geithner has been approved by the Senate Finance Committee.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – The Senate Finance Committee voted 18-5 Thursday to send the nomination of Treasury Secretary-designate Timothy Geithner to the full Senate.

Geithner apologized to the committee during his confirmation hearing Wednesday for his past failure to pay more than $34,000 in self-employment taxes between 2001 and 2004.

Filed under: Timothy Geithner
  1. Jim

If this is an indication on how he manages his affairs, then he is not the right person for the job of Treasure Secretary.
    Obama should want to start with a cabinet team that will not sap energy to unprofitable areas. This is the wrong start.

January 22, 2009 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  2. umu ule

In reality I agree with JENN, I don't know why he is the only one best suited for this job. What this is doing is setting up a bad precedent. I am an Obama supporter but not on this one. Any body can make the same mistake and if reprimanded can go to court for equal justice to all.

January 22, 2009 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  3. Linda Lu-Nordling

now...this is very SAD and UN-"fortunate"...this is the BEST possible person to head our Treasury? How's he so different from Paulson? He does so seem to have issues with immigration, did he/his wife hired an illegal immigrant? that's so HOT and popular...your own SLAVE? So American!!!

This is a DISgrace...what a pitty, this is STILL ALL Americans have to SELL to the REST of the World that THey should do businesses with us?

What a JOKE! shame shame shame. An Example of what to EXpect!!! How can this idiot do anything TOO right? Too Correctly? Since, he's just like all of those ELECTED OFFICIALS of America?! And, that's what our BOOTS are fighting for?

So, Idiots like HIM and be in charge of OUR MONEY...Another Paulson ONLY.

January 22, 2009 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  4. MK

OK....next we should but Bill Ayres in charge of either the department of education or better yet, the department of homeland security. Dems will never be able to cry ethics violations on any future republican nominees to cabinet positions.

Yes, I agree that President Obama needs his team in place immediately. However, there is a vetting process. And the next time I make an error on my 1040, will my penalties be waived like Mr. Geithner's was? Politicians should never be above the law that mere ordinary citizens are required to obey.

January 22, 2009 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  5. Lori

I just want a competent person to get started and if our President believes that Geithner is that person then hurry up and let the job begin. I trust the President's judgment and want all his Cabinet sworn in a.s.a.p. We can't wait too long as the economy is continuing to tank and we need to get the ball rolling on rebuilding America.

January 22, 2009 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  6. Emm

I think is it time to move forward. If he made a mistake in the past we have to move on. I think it is time for fellow Americans to grow up. We need to get out of this messy economy created by Bush

January 22, 2009 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  7. Matt

So will he pay the $34K + interest now???

January 22, 2009 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  8. A crooked IRS Head - Obama Change in Action

If Mr Geithner had been working in the IRS when he cheated on his taxes, he would have been terminated immediately per IRS policies.

We are placing an individual who cheated on his taxes; took money from the IMF fraudentlyl and then failed to pay up after an IRS audit for several years until he was nominated to head Treasury and the IRS. There has been a cover up; there is a continuing cover up; and Mr Obama has just placed a CROOK to oversee $350 billion in TARP funds. This is not change we need. This is corrupt and shameful. President Obama – I voted for you, but you have lost my trust and confidence in just your second day in office. TERRIBLE DECISION

January 22, 2009 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  9. Florio

He did not get out of his mistake, he paid all of his taxes. Including taxes where the Statue of Limitations had EXPIRED. No truthfully who amongst us would swear to do that.
    Let him go about his business.

January 22, 2009 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  10. Ronda

Unbelievable....That WAS not a mistake...that was being dishonest and trying to get away with it.

January 22, 2009 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  11. Fred

LOL. I find it ironic that a man who avoided paying his taxes for several years is put in charge of the IRS. Yup, proof positive that the Democrats are back in charge.

January 22, 2009 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  12. rodlang

LOL...the guy can't figure out how to pay his taxes but he'll be in charge of the IRS. Go figure.

January 22, 2009 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  13. irish

Every single Amercian should be outraged with this guys appointment. Weather you are democrate, liberal, republican or independent. They would nail us to the wall if we made a mistake that big on our own personal income taxes. We would be penilized up to the high heavens and possible jail for tax evasion. This is not fair to any American out there that pays there taxes and does not try to cheat the goverment. Unbelievable. I don't care if he has paid back what he owes. He knew he owed this money for years and he only paid it back when he was considered for this position.

January 22, 2009 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  14. Carole Ewen

What do we do with citizens who have not paid their taxes for several years–make them Sec. of Commerce? It seems to me that if Geithner became Sec. of the Treasury, he would have trouble enforcing the laws that would make regular citizens responsible for paying their taxes in a timely manner.

January 22, 2009 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  15. mellody webb

Apparantly, a new era has arrived in Washington. We now openly accept thieves, crooks, and cheaters to be in charge.

January 22, 2009 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  16. Billy J

I am pro Obama and most of the democratic parties policies etc….

But even I question the wisdom of choosing this guy, or not asking him to step down when you found out he didn't pay his taxes in a 'mixup'.

I don't want a secretary of the TREASURY! who can get mixed up about his own TAXES!

January 22, 2009 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  17. xjx

Well, as long as they are all ok with the tax evasion, we are good to go.

For a minute there, I thought they would have a problem with someone who cheated.

Full speed ahead on the "change" express. Next stop... Depression.

January 22, 2009 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  18. Empty people voted for an empty suit

The two things I want my "gubment" to do for me is one, protect us no MATTER WHAT so Eric HOLDER is out, and secondly, be smart with my money that I GIVE THEM, so that makes Geithner OUT as well.

18-5, none of the 18 better be gutless pandering Republiicans or I am going to be BS.

If this were a Republican nominee, I CHALLENGE any of you Obambi apologists to say that you would NOT be against it based on the MERITS as we non-shep are now.

Lets see if this is correct, give tax rebate CHECKS to people who DON'T pay taxes and also hire as head of the IRS someone who cheats on their taxes?

This isn't change it is lunacy.

January 22, 2009 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  19. ANGIE

Ok Timothy Geithner , no more mistakes like that. get to work.

January 22, 2009 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  20. Gov't is too Big!!!

Geitner gets to break two rules. 1) Hire illegals to work for him and not pay taxes. If he is head of the IRS, I guess it is ok now if I don't pay my taxes too. If I am audited, I will just say it is a caresless mistake, and all those illegals working for me, was also a careless mistake.
    What a double standard. If this was a Republican being nominated, he would be tarred and feathered. This is not right.

With Obama's increasing the size of government and policies that will decrease the size of Main street jobs with unions strengthening, taxes increasing, regulation increasing, foreign trade decreasing, you will sadly see a day soon when more people will be working for the Gov't then there will be working jobs on Main Street. When that time comes you can rightfully call our country a Socialist country. That day is not too far away, and with Obama and Geittner it is just around the corner.

Historically the best way to increase the economy is to sell goods and services not only domestically but worldwide that consumers want, that is what increases GDP.

Government is not very good at producing goods and services that are wanted, they produce services that are shoved down our throats and are inefficient in how they spend our money. They are like a black hole of wasted money, resulting in the justification by politicians that we need to raise taxes even more.

Let's hope that this administration doesn't completely destroy what made this country great, and that is our Capitalist Free Market Economy.

January 22, 2009 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  21. matt

so wait...I am supposed to trust a guy who couldn't even get his own taxes right. This looks so bad for America.

January 22, 2009 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  22. trickyguy

It's hard to believe there is no other highly qualified financial wizard that didn't cheat on his/her taxes.

This one is a bit hard to swallow.

January 22, 2009 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  23. Mary Crabtree

NEWSFLASH
    There are tens of thousands of honest, loyal, strong Americans gathered in Washington D. C. because they want to stop the holocaust of preborn children being killed in America. Yet there is no coverage of this anniversary of Roe v. Wade and the fact that we can no longer excuse the murder of hearts that are beating and brain waves that are active. Christiane needs to include the 50 million lives lost from 1973 to 2009 in her report of the killing fields of the world. W proclaim human rights for other countries, but in this country we do not provide the basic right to life for all. Please cover this issue. The F.O.C.A. must be stopped.

January 22, 2009 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  24. MorningStar

If Spike Lee was nominated before his trial for tax evasion... may be he will not be in prison today.

Timothy Geithner may has the intelect...(?), but he does not have integrity...

January 22, 2009 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  25. Obama 2.0

Great!!! Whoes next. Keep the ball rolling Senators, we have no time to play stalling games. Out here we call it production!

January 22, 2009 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |