January 22nd, 2009
8 months ago

Senate Committee endorses Geithner for Treasury

Geithner has been approved by the Senate Finance Committee.
Geithner has been approved by the Senate Finance Committee.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – The Senate Finance Committee voted 18-5 Thursday to send the nomination of Treasury Secretary-designate Timothy Geithner to the full Senate.

Geithner apologized to the committee during his confirmation hearing Wednesday for his past failure to pay more than $34,000 in self-employment taxes between 2001 and 2004.

Filed under: Timothy Geithner
  1. JM

Well I guess we can all stop paying out taxes now until we get appointed to an Obama Cabinet seat. I'll gladly keep my tax money in my pocket. I could really use it since I can barely make ends meet. And to know now there is no punishment for not paying them is even better.

Shame on all the democrats and republicans who endorse this man. We will remember come next election. I promise you that.

January 22, 2009 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  2. TCM

why not? I mean Ayers, Raines, Rev Wright, Gov Blag, ...Emmanuel....all the crooks and deviants that have been placed so far...why not one more? In fact, it's a strategic move; so in the future when ACORN and other illegal foreign funds start funneling in again...Geithner can just show them how to get over and remain on the job.....really, folks do you expect anything less from the most inexperienced, incompetent administration in the history of this nation?

January 22, 2009 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  3. Phil

To all those bashing him, give the guy a chance. You have to look at the whole picture. You have to separate personal problems from other qualifications he may have which will benefit the country. While he did make a personal mistake, if he is intelligent and understands finances, then he is the man we need.

January 22, 2009 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  4. Nicolas

Absolutely wrong to appoint this man! and this is coming from a Liberal...

January 22, 2009 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  5. Obama will fail

Excellent beginning of a new administration! Tax cheater is charge of our taxes. What's next? OJ in charge of our justice system? What else to expect form our Dear Leader.

I keep my guns, you can keep your "change".

January 22, 2009 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  6. Amber

Yeah, I'm REALLY not happy with Geithner's appointment, but whatever happens he'll be an enormous sea change from Paulson.

Oh, and I didn't hear anyone talking about Paulson's conflicts of interest in lieu of his job when he stepped off the Goldman Sachs board to be Secretary of the Treasury... that worked out real well for all of us, didn't it?

January 22, 2009 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  7. Snake eyes

CRITICISMS OVER HIS TAX HISTORY ARE FAIR ENOUGH. NOW. ALL YOU CRITICS PROPOSE SOMEBODY ELSE WHO CAN DO THE JOB.
    IF NOT, THEN LET IT GO, LETS MOVE FORWARD.

January 22, 2009 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  8. tom

Dayahka = Liberal apologist

January 22, 2009 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  9. Bill

Please the election is over with let's move on and get this country moving again.

January 22, 2009 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  10. Kpawlak

Why is it this guy can simply apologize for his "mistake" but, when the media found out that Joe the plumber owed around $2000.00 they tore him to shreds? Oh...that's right he's not a Democrat.

January 22, 2009 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  11. Mack

Business as usual.

January 22, 2009 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  12. JP from Arlington

Oh good, I feel better already knowing we have a tax cheat at the helm of the Department of Tresaury. Is this the "Change we can count on" that Obama campaigned on?

January 22, 2009 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  13. Greta Palinannitylimbaughbeck

Kyl and Cornyn: Please see Palin for example of future incompetence and corruption. And look to your former CIC and his criminal, decrepit sidekick for other examples.

January 22, 2009 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  14. Larry C. in Houston TX

I don't know why Obama doesn't select someone ELSE for that Job.

There are so many Businesses (large & small) that does their Own Taxes, and they already Know that the I.R.S. simply cannot "Audit" everyone in the entire U.S.

So, that being said : He knew he didn't pay those Taxes, he was trying to "Get By" without a chance of being audited....That's what
    a lot of Businesses try to do in the U.S. ( if they can )

If Geithner knew he was going to be picked for the Treasury Secretary
    back 5 years ago, or when he made that so called "honest mistake"
    he wouldn't have made that "mistake" .....Why did he "overlook" the line where it says how much you owe ? And do the Rest of the Tax form like clockwork ? Something's wrong with this scenario.....

January 22, 2009 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  15. Mark

So much for the ethics reform. Treasury Secretary-designate
    Timothy Geithner cheated on his taxes!

January 22, 2009 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  16. Andy in Texas

Robin ~ You guys made a man who didn't pay his taxes (i.e., Joe the Plumber) a spokesman for the last leg of your boy's campaign. Sure, Treasury Secretary is one thing, and your "Average Joe Hero" is another. After all, Joe arrogantly prides himself on willful ignorance. Point is, I'm troubled by Geithner's tax evasion as much as anybody else. I supported (and still support) Obama, but I just don't see the prudence in Geithner's nomination. I'd be willing to discuss it, but your comment shows that no discussion is wanted. You just want quick and smarmy one liners. The problem is that, if that the game you want to play, there's a lot more ammo against the Reps than the Dems.

January 22, 2009 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  17. Sarah kansas

It is not that he did not pay his taxes. He did not pay his employer's taxes for him working for a company out of the United States.

January 22, 2009 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  18. The One

Oh, boy, another tax cheat from the Democrats. Geithner and Charlie Rangel, perfect together. And Obama is promising an ethical administration?

January 22, 2009 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  19. NEL E BELL

HEY MR TAX MAN, CAN I GET SUCH A DEAL AS YOU CAN. I PROMISE I'LL ONLY NOT PAY 34K IN TAXES JUST LIKE YOU, YOUR MY HERO. COME ON BE A BUDDY WERE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER-I THINK?

January 22, 2009 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  20. John H

This is exactly what is wrong with our political system. Timothy Geithner should be treated how Joe Lewis and Wesley Snipes were convicted as CRIMINAL. President Obama had a real chance to walk the walk (choose to talk the talk) but he now is revealing that he is just like the rest of Washington-BETTER than the people who elected them.

January 22, 2009 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  21. lisa

Yep, fox in the henhouse. Some change, sounds like the same old story to me

January 22, 2009 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  22. HouseDiva

The federal reserve should be shut down...it's illegal(unconstitutional)it's no more federal than federal express...it's a private institution, not an American institution.

learn your facts folks!

I wont be happy with anyone in charge of the FED, because there shouldn't even be a FED.

January 22, 2009 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  23. BB

With all the relevant news in the world, the media insists on continually picking nits that are not worth a sneeze. What a joke.

January 22, 2009 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  24. Ryan

So it begins....Change you can't believe in. Are you happy CNN? You liberal left wing nuts got what you wanted.

January 22, 2009 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |