January 23rd, 2009
8 months ago

Cindy McCain won’t be 'Dancing with the Stars'

The McCains decided against Mrs. McCain participating in Dancing with the Stars.

(CNN) - It’s official: John McCain is edging his way back onto the national stage — but his wife Cindy has opted to avoid the spotlight. Literally.

Speaking on CNN's Larry King Live Thursday, Sen. John McCain confirmed reports his wife had weighed the possibility of appearing on the hit TV show 'Dancing with the Stars.'

Those reports said Mrs. McCain was in talks with the show's producers late last year, and was close to being a contestant during the upcoming season.

The former Republican presidential candidate told King Thursday both McCains talked the opportunity over and decided against it. "Well, we discussed it, but we decided it just was not a good idea," McCain said. "You know, Cindy's on her second knee. She's had it replaced."

"It would have been very challenging," McCain continued. "But I'm proud of her work and charity around the world, Operation Smile, a number of other organizations - humanitarian efforts that she's involved in and is continuing to be involved in."

Mrs. McCain isn't the first politically-connected individual to be invited to appear on the show: Former vice presidential candidate Dan Quayle reportedly turned down a similar offer last year.

Filed under: Cindy McCain • Popular Posts
  1. wendy

how about Cindy McCain partners with Dan Quayle and Sarah Palin swings with Dick Cheney....The ratings would shoot to the stars

January 23, 2009 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  2. wendy

does Channel making dance coustumes???

January 23, 2009 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  3. KLS

To Jo: What a hateful thing to call our beautiful First Lady - Moose Michelle - shame on you!!!!

January 23, 2009 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  4. Ignored in GA

This was a nice interlude from real news, but I'm sure that Mrs. McCain has much better things to do with her time.
    Now, if DWTS is really serious, they should go after the other woman, the governor of Alaska. I suspect that she would gladly do the show to get more face time, and I'm sure that Alaska can get along without her in case she makes it to the final.

January 23, 2009 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  5. Magna cum Laude Vegas Barbie for Obama

If she's on her second knee, that is nothing to mess with. Knee replacement is the worst. Besides, it's not as if she needs anything else to do, what with all her charitable work and they DO have those kids they adopted to keep her busy. NOTE: I was forced to amend my blog name after some S. Palin defenders took exception yesterday to a blogger with my name being capable of having any depth of observation (guess they did not read what I wrote, just my name). Fact is, not all of us living in Vegas are prostitutes and pole dancers; I, for one, am a Paralegal and I have two advanced degrees. This is for Franky's and Pat J's benefit: judging the content of a blog by the blogger's name really doesn't say a whole lot about the person doing the judging. At least I spell every word correctly and have solid sentence construction, which is more than we can say for many bloggers who post here.

January 23, 2009 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  6. person

i see the gop supporters are still cryin they lost, they had 8yrs to do a good job and they just couldn't do it! So step off of Michelle, she is not a moose, Palin is!

January 23, 2009 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  7. mike

Well, lets just say she ain't no First Lady Michelle Obama.

January 23, 2009 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  8. Steph S

Sure, Jo, including stealing prescription drugs from the charities designed to help those disadvantaged kids. Give me a break – the woman is fallible, just like the rest of us. Had it been Michelle Obama stealing drugs from her charities, you'd have been all over it. And calling her "Moose" Michelle really illustrates your maturity level.

January 23, 2009 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  9. KATHLEEN

I would "prefer" Cindy stay out of the spotlight. After her stint on
    stage bashing Obama about her sons in Iraq, I thought she was
    "definitly" "told" exactly what to say. I really would not ever want to
    see Cindy in her elaborate wardrobe appearing as a "barbie doll.!

Maybe Cindy can go work to help the homeless, with her millions.
    I would have more respect. (She would not need to dress to the
    hilt everyday of her life) Clothing money could be spent making
    sure the homeless had food and shelter.Being Responsible with her millons, and grateful
    for being so fortunate would be more appropo and appropriate.
    This would give Cindy "substance" which I cannot see she possesses!!!!

January 23, 2009 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  10. P. D.

Dear Lord! What is happening in this country! Just because she has a little fame and is married to a Senator she gets rewarded? Unreal! Like Palin getting 11 million to pen a book! ????

January 23, 2009 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  11. Buckeye

This is news?

January 23, 2009 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  12. JL

I can see some of you still have quite a bit of growing up to do.

I was hoping to see her on dancing with the stars. She is a nice lady and I bet she would have a good time doing this!

Oh, and I voted for Obama.

January 23, 2009 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  13. Hammer

McCain went in the tank for the Dems in the general election and now he is the point boy for Obama. Republicans only need to look at McCain to see the real problem with their party, he sold them down the river.

January 23, 2009 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  14. Lilarose in Bandon, Oregon

I have a right total knee replacement and need a left one.

It would be foolish for anyone to take on "Dancing With the Stars" as a contestant who has had a knee replacement.

You are not supposed to run, hop, skip, jump, be on your knees, and especially NO TWISTING or twirling (such as standing in place and twirling on one foot from front to back).

You can't possibly dance without twisting at the knee.

January 23, 2009 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  15. JO

Sizewise ... Michelle is a MOOSE !! I was comparing Cindy, not Palin, for your info so why bring Palin into this?

January 23, 2009 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  16. JO

To KLS: If the description fits ...,..

January 23, 2009 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  17. KATHLEEN

Cindy reminded me of a "statue" during the elections. Can she
    dance, .........or move? I never seen Cindy move!

January 23, 2009 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  18. kayla

barbie doll grandma

January 23, 2009 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  19. matthew

Dan Quayle was not a candidate for Vice President He was Vice President!

January 23, 2009 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  20. Polly

I think her choice is a good one. She's an intelligent woman, as well as beautiful. I'm sure she would be excellent on a show like that, but on a second knee, it's probably not worth an injury. John McCain always chooses his words wisely. It is good that he praises her efforts. They have been setting a good example to the American public during and since the campaign.

January 23, 2009 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  21. Anonymous

Dan Qualye was Vice President for four years, not just a Vice Presidential candidate.

January 23, 2009 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  22. mike

Didn't she say that "Barack Obama sent a chill down my spine." After falsely accusing him of voting against funding the troops. But, now that it comes to her she wants to be treated with kid gloves? forget it!

January 23, 2009 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  23. Pat J

Cindy McCain is EVER so much more of a lady than Michelle Obama.
    Cindy McCain has STYLE! That is something that can't be bought with $millions of campaign contributions.

January 23, 2009 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  24. Chris in Va.

Must be nice to have nothing to do all day and all day to do it.

January 23, 2009 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  25. Chris in Va.

@ JO.....Why don't you have Cindy buy you a life?

January 23, 2009 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |