January 23rd, 2009
3 months ago

McCain says he and Palin plan to meet this month

CNN

Watch McCain discuss his relationship with Palin.

(CNN) – Despite the post-election battle between Sarah Palin and John McCain's campaign advisors, the former Republican presidential candidate told CNN’s Larry King both members of the GOP ticket remain “very close.”

McCain — who has been edging his way back into the spotlight Palin never quite left - dismissed questions over his running mate’s criticism of his campaign team. “Listen, I think the world of Governor Palin, her husband Todd, her family, I'm honored that she would run with me,” he said in an interview Thursday.

“And look, whenever there is a losing campaign there is always a little bit of back and forth, and it happens post-mortem. I am so grateful to have her as a friend, and I believe that she represents a lot to the Republican Party in the future. I think she has a big role to play.”

Palin and senior McCain aides, many of them anonymous, have traded criticism since the Republican ticket’s defeat.

Last month, the Alaska governor told Human Events that following the campaign’s media strategy was her biggest regret of the race. “I was not allowed to do very many interviews, and the interviews that I did were not necessarily those I would have chosen,” she said. “But I was so thankful to have the opportunity to run with John McCain that I was not going to argue with the strategy decisions that some of his people were making regarding the media contacts...if I would have been in charge, I would have wanted to speak to more reporters, because that’s how you get your message out to the electorate.”

The Arizona senator would not tell King Thursday whether he was personally stung by Palin’s criticism of his top aides. “Look, we're very close friends, and I talk to her all the time and look forward to seeing her, I think, in a week or so,” he said. “We're very close.”

McCain also side-stepped the question of whether he’d ever raised those comments with her. “Oh - these things always happen in campaigns,” he said. “She has my respect and my affection and that's undying.”

Last month, he told an interviewer Sarah Palin could not necessarily count on his support his former running mate if she chose to run for president.

"I can't say something like that. We've got some great other young governors,” he told ABC then. “I think you're going to see the governors assume a greater leadership role in our Republican Party," he said, citing Governors Tim Pawlenty of Minnesota and Jon Huntsman of Utah.

“...Have no doubt of my admiration and respect for her and my view of her viability, but at this stage, again … my corpse is still warm, you know?"

Filed under: John McCain • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. Sherry

Sen. McCain gave Palin the chance of a lifetime and she blew it! She should keep her mouth shut; learn from whatever mistakes were made; and challenge herself to do better - like reading up on currrent and past events so she can appear more polished.

January 23, 2009 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  2. JOE KILOZ

R--–E----–T----–I-----R-----–E-----

AND,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,QUIT,,,,,,,,,,,,,,TAKING,,,,,,,,,,,,,THE,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,ROLE,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

OF,,,,,,,,,,,SPOKESPERSON,,,,,,,,,,,,,,FOR,,,,,,,,,,,,,THE,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

REPUBLICAN,,,,,,,,,,,PARTY,,,,,,,,,,,,,OR,,,,,,,,,,,CENTRISTS

January 23, 2009 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  3. Mark Billingsley

To Nobama Noway, has it EVER entered your brainpan that perhaps some of those people at Gitmo are innocent? Let them have their day in court and let the rule of law sort out guilt or innocence. If they are guilty then away they go. If they are innocent then return them to their country of origin and let them try to pick up their lives again. When our policy for years was to pay people to fink on others we knew we were going tpo get a lot of "Akbar did it! Take him away!" I mean, what better way to get rid of a rival then to make crap up about him and alert the U.S. soldiers? And get paid for it! It['s scary to see people like Nobama Noway post here saying that it's OK to completely take away a persons rights. We start doing that then the terrorist are winning.

January 23, 2009 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  4. Allen

CNN: Why does all comments have to be hateful, demeaning, and vehemently "anti-Palin" before you will post them. Aren't you supposed to be journalist?

January 23, 2009 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  5. Former Republican

McCain acted honorably last night on larry king live. Too bad he misbehaved during the campaign. Palin is just a non issue. If she's the best the republican party has got, I'm forced to vote democrat again.

January 23, 2009 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  6. Madelyn

How did the media attack Palin? Well, let's see...they asked her tough questions like, "what newspapers and magazines do you read to stay informed on current issues?" Palin could not name ONE! That can not be seen as a media attack on a VP candidate, regardless of the candidate's gender. Our leaders must be intelligent and informed on their own. We can't afford any more leaders who are not very bright and therefore have to rely on advisers who are not elected by the American people. Palin truly is a joke when you consider her for a National (let alone International) role. She claimed foreign relations experience because the outermost desolate Siberian region can be seen from Alaska. Really?! What fifth grader in America doesn't know this? On that thought what fifth grader in America is unable to name a newspaper or magazine they read for information on current events? The saddest part of the Palin-stupidity-train-wreck is that all those women who still fervently support Palin only show they are even more ignorant than Palin. The tragic part of the P-s-t-w is that there are women who support her only because she is a woman. As a professional woman I am so insulted by the attempt to justify Palin strictly on her gender. Can we please stop hearing about her? How long must we be subjected to this Bimbo and her Grandpappy? Let it go already!!

January 23, 2009 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  7. Maddie

They need her to keep the hate, socialism, and racism going.
    She will be "used" extensively to further the republicans message of hate, fear, and discord.

January 23, 2009 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  8. H-Town

Game over man! Game over!

January 23, 2009 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  9. H-Town Dem

Ernie, you asked if we can say President Palin.
    Not without throwing up in my mouth a little bit.

January 23, 2009 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  10. William in Texas

John, please be candid. Be the maverick you profess to be. You never liked her and few do.

January 23, 2009 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  11. Will Hilton

Contribitor Mobius is exactly on target by saying "It's as if the Republican Party Tried to Lose" He is sure is right on that issue. I got so sick and tired of seeing John McCain on that stretcher and all the BS, I thought it would never end. A HERO,YES, a politician NO NO NO. McCain's speeches are are about as exciting as a rock. Don't Blame Sarah Palin, McCain shot himself in the foot by even running....

January 23, 2009 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  12. Allen

CNN: Why do all comments have to be hateful, demeaning, and vehemently "anti-Palin" before you will post them. Aren't you supposed to be journalists?

January 23, 2009 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  13. Barry

It's unfortunate she let this whole thing go to her head. McCain gave her, a no name from Alaska, the chance of a lifetime and she made it all about her. And now she has the gall to criticize him.

January 23, 2009 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  14. The Real Issue

The Real Issues why Senator McCain was defeated..

1. The President ran a superb campaign.
    2. Senator McCain picked Governor Palin who he did not vet properly.
    3. Palin was inexperienced with the Media much like Caroline Kennedy.
    4. Palin was not knowledgeable...record–went to 5 colleges to get one degree which caused a void in academic preparedness.
    5. McCain's own record of voting with Bush 90% of the time.
    6. McCain's record with Keating and the Keating scandal was highly questionable.
    7. Palin's record with ethics and questionable activity in Alaska.
    8. McCain's statements about the economy.
    9. McCain's negative campaigning as opposed to discussing the real issues facing Americans

January 23, 2009 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  15. irene

John, you might have won the election if you didn't allow th GOP machine talk you into such a stupid choice for VP. They were pandering to the far religous right and we're sick and tired of you guys telling us that your religion is better than ours and laws need to be changed to reflect your narrow views of God. If you had chosen someone like Romney, you would have shown your religous tolerance and we might have considered you as a viable candidate. Why did you let them pick Palin? You can't fix stupid and she is the queen of stupid!

January 23, 2009 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  16. Ghost

Hilarious comments on her book. These two can keep comedians in material for years.

January 23, 2009 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  17. BUTCH POSEY

I HOPE AND PRAY OBAMA SERVES THE COUNTRY WELL BUT I HAVE MY DOUBTS ABOUT HIM AND BIDEN. I HOPE SARAH PALIN WILL RUN FOR PRESIDENT IN 2012 AND I WOULD LOVE TO SEE RICHARD STEELE RUN WITH HER.

January 23, 2009 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  18. Colleen pacino

She needs to go away gracefully & stop all the tired comments.

January 23, 2009 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  19. b

More hatred from the left!! Way to go, keep showing true colors. Every liberal i talk to, still will go out of their way to bring the hate and pure filth. You ought to be ashamed!! We know you wont because you can do no wrong!!! Before long, you will be dissing President Obama!!
    Keep up the hatred folks, and don't forget to look in the mirror as you are doing so!!

January 23, 2009 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  20. Never say die

McCain-Palin 2012

January 23, 2009 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  21. Will in Philadelphia

I'm donating as much as I can to Palin from now until the election of 2012.
    As long as she stays on the news cycle, she helps diminish the repubs a little everytime...Let's just call it Operation Reverse Chaos in honor of the other one (Rush) that is helping to destroy the Republican Party.
    I want to see Obama vs. Palin for 2012.

That will be the complete destruction of the repubs.

January 23, 2009 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  22. Walt D

McCain is being very gracious to a person who acts so narcissistic and cannot accept responsibility for her behavior, and normally sees her problems as being outside herself and control.

January 23, 2009 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  23. Ruth

If you thought Bush was bad as president-John McCain would have been worse. He only got where he is because of his father and his wife. Think about it! He has mush for brains. He chose Palin -didn't he?

January 23, 2009 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  24. Scott

Slow news day CNN? Can't we let the spotlight go out on a campaign that was decided 2 months ago? How about looking forward instead of backward?

January 23, 2009 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |