January 23rd, 2009
11 months ago

McCain says he and Palin plan to meet this month

CNN

Watch McCain discuss his relationship with Palin.

(CNN) – Despite the post-election battle between Sarah Palin and John McCain's campaign advisors, the former Republican presidential candidate told CNN’s Larry King both members of the GOP ticket remain “very close.”

McCain — who has been edging his way back into the spotlight Palin never quite left - dismissed questions over his running mate’s criticism of his campaign team. “Listen, I think the world of Governor Palin, her husband Todd, her family, I'm honored that she would run with me,” he said in an interview Thursday.

“And look, whenever there is a losing campaign there is always a little bit of back and forth, and it happens post-mortem. I am so grateful to have her as a friend, and I believe that she represents a lot to the Republican Party in the future. I think she has a big role to play.”

Palin and senior McCain aides, many of them anonymous, have traded criticism since the Republican ticket’s defeat.

Last month, the Alaska governor told Human Events that following the campaign’s media strategy was her biggest regret of the race. “I was not allowed to do very many interviews, and the interviews that I did were not necessarily those I would have chosen,” she said. “But I was so thankful to have the opportunity to run with John McCain that I was not going to argue with the strategy decisions that some of his people were making regarding the media contacts...if I would have been in charge, I would have wanted to speak to more reporters, because that’s how you get your message out to the electorate.”

The Arizona senator would not tell King Thursday whether he was personally stung by Palin’s criticism of his top aides. “Look, we're very close friends, and I talk to her all the time and look forward to seeing her, I think, in a week or so,” he said. “We're very close.”

McCain also side-stepped the question of whether he’d ever raised those comments with her. “Oh - these things always happen in campaigns,” he said. “She has my respect and my affection and that's undying.”

Last month, he told an interviewer Sarah Palin could not necessarily count on his support his former running mate if she chose to run for president.

"I can't say something like that. We've got some great other young governors,” he told ABC then. “I think you're going to see the governors assume a greater leadership role in our Republican Party," he said, citing Governors Tim Pawlenty of Minnesota and Jon Huntsman of Utah.

“...Have no doubt of my admiration and respect for her and my view of her viability, but at this stage, again … my corpse is still warm, you know?"

Filed under: John McCain • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. Dont blame me

Wow,

Look a all of the HATRED from the left.

And oh, by the way, some of you need to go back to 1st grade and learn how to spell.

January 23, 2009 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  2. Richard/ Naples Florida

John McCain needs to be turned out to pasture like stud horses and quit chasing skirts

January 23, 2009 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  3. RetiredVet

Sara darlin, just keep your eyes pointed toward those Russkies and let us know when they begin to cross...we're countin on ya darlin..

January 23, 2009 09:41 am at 9:41 am |
  4. ohio man

maybe they are meeting so McCain can get the rest of those clothes back... as his credit card statement just came in .. and he looked at it and said .. Hold up.. i need to go get these clothes back myself .."I'm not paying for this"

January 23, 2009 09:41 am at 9:41 am |
  5. curt campbell

That's really nice of you John, however I don't believe you...

January 23, 2009 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  6. HouseDiva

will someone please tell Peggy Hill and grandpa Simpson that no one who is irrelevant cares for either one of them.

January 23, 2009 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  7. Phoenix

When the GOP recognizes that they cannot continue to pander to white, ultra conservative radicals only, then, and only then will they experience real change. If Sarah Palin is their leader, I will leave the Republican party forever.

January 23, 2009 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  8. Erik from Real Pennsylvania

Go ahead and bring Palin back into the spotlight, GOP. Nominate her for the 2012 ticket, even. The Democratic Party will breeze back into office as a result. The major anti-GOP wins this year were in part a direct rejection of what Palin stands for.

January 23, 2009 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  9. Baze

Forget it John, your campaigners pointed too many fingers, and mending relations now wouldn't even look that convincing on paper.

January 23, 2009 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  10. fred marti

it shows that McCain has the same intelect as Palin. They make a good pair

January 23, 2009 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  11. Baze

@Eileen

I hope she does stay around; that's the only way we'll get her to pose for playboy.

January 23, 2009 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  12. m.Jones

Ludicrous idea! This publisher is not very savvy! We are sick of hearing ANYTHING about her!!!!! Let alone spend money on a book??????? I don't even want to watch anything about Alaska when it come on TV ... just the association. Alaska needs to get rid of Sarah Palin. I wanted to go to Alaska before I learn about this governor but I no longer want to . May be someday when she's gone and no longer in the news. What is there to learn from a book by her???? There is stuff on B. Madoff if you want a sensational news and it's free. More proofs that she's only in it for her and the money ...... like the clothing for herself and her family, hairdos and makeup etc during the campaign, ripping alaskans off by charging the state for hotel accommodation when she stays at home etc. To quote her during the campaign that's she is "not doing this for nought". One would be a fool to help her realize her dream.

January 23, 2009 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  13. ConsiderThis, FL

McCain needs Palin and Palin needs McCain. It's politics. McCain can't get any attention on his own and Palin is wanting to strike it rich! I hope Palin stays involved with the Republican Party of the South so that elections of Democratic polititians are ensured.

January 23, 2009 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  14. Jennifer NY

If THAT is the future of the Republican Party, along with all the nasty negative leftovers in the Senate, they will lose, lose, lose...in the future. We've already done stupid and look where it got us....although I sure never voted for 43 because some of us did our homework on GWB. Either they don't dare to publicly criticize her – or they agree with her – both of which are disgusting moral failures. She is an airhead egomaniac....and McCain stoked those fires by picking her to be VP candidate. Now, she won't get off the stage – ha!! I will bet any amount of money on the fact that McCain is going to meet with her to shut her up since he can't say anything publicly. It is so wonderful to have a normal American intelligent man in the Whtie House.

January 23, 2009 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  15. Meh

Moma Grizzley> Grace and kindness? Surely you jest. How kind was she being when she insinuated that PRESIDENT Obama (I just love saying that) is a terrorist, therefore putting his life in danger.
    The woman is a bigoted, ignorant hick.
    CNN, please stop reporting on her!

January 23, 2009 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  16. karen-Phoenix

Watch the show. For the first time, McCain seemed humbled and finnally realizes that you get "more flies with honey than vineger" and the American people want them all to work together for the good of the American middle class, NOT rich, old white haired men! AND NO MORE PALIN!!!! If she were to go back to school, try for a real degree and get a masters, she might just get a little intellegence!!
    AND Please, please someone fire Rush Limbough!!!! The man is hateful and is destroying the republican party!

January 23, 2009 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  17. Ed, Santa Fe, NM

Wow can these Republicans EVER admit to making a mistake? Palin is dumber than your average moose, and McCain was stupid to choose her. PERIOD.

January 23, 2009 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  18. Tracy

Dear CNN,

Are you a news source or a gossip rag? The only reason to continue to print "news" stories about ANY republican right now is to enrage the left and solicit hateful comments.

You are quickly becoming very pathetic.

If you print this, it will be the FIRST of around 50 comments I have left that just sit in "waiting for moderation" stage. NICE!

January 23, 2009 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  19. obama-mama

She probably called McCain and ordered him to fix her reputation.

January 23, 2009 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  20. JohnTate

Some voters were afraid to vote for a black, but even more were scared to death to vote for whacko Palin. McCain showed his horrible judgement when he picked her and now the GOP is doomed with her presence. It couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of nazis...

January 23, 2009 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  21. Steve from Florida

Yes, she does have a big role in the GOP....chief buffoon!

January 23, 2009 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  22. Brian from GA

It is not safe for average, every day Americans to enter the political arena any more. The political machery is too organized and efficient, and if you don't fit the mold and follow the agenda you are going to be steam-rolled, slandered, and belittled.

Just look at the Ticker comment board. Even the slightest hint of "Palin" immediately draws a storm of fire. And "Joe the Plumber" also draws a storm.

It's sad but true.

January 23, 2009 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  23. Vicky

The juvenile comments here are unbelievable. Why are the people who think that Obama is Superman so afraid of Sarah Palin that they have to stoop to this kind of trash talk? Obama doesn't criticize her this way and probably dislikes his supporters doing so. If you REALLY support Obama show some class like he does. Otherwise you"re just an embarassment to him.

January 23, 2009 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  24. susie

McCain should change parties and become a Democrat.

January 23, 2009 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  25. Howard

John McCain, if you had been as gracious during your campaign as you were during your concession speech and ever since ..... the election might have turned differently. You're not only a genuine American hero, you're also a class act.

January 23, 2009 09:50 am at 9:50 am |