January 23rd, 2009
11 months ago

McCain says he and Palin plan to meet this month

CNN

Watch McCain discuss his relationship with Palin.

(CNN) – Despite the post-election battle between Sarah Palin and John McCain's campaign advisors, the former Republican presidential candidate told CNN’s Larry King both members of the GOP ticket remain “very close.”

McCain — who has been edging his way back into the spotlight Palin never quite left - dismissed questions over his running mate’s criticism of his campaign team. “Listen, I think the world of Governor Palin, her husband Todd, her family, I'm honored that she would run with me,” he said in an interview Thursday.

“And look, whenever there is a losing campaign there is always a little bit of back and forth, and it happens post-mortem. I am so grateful to have her as a friend, and I believe that she represents a lot to the Republican Party in the future. I think she has a big role to play.”

Palin and senior McCain aides, many of them anonymous, have traded criticism since the Republican ticket’s defeat.

Last month, the Alaska governor told Human Events that following the campaign’s media strategy was her biggest regret of the race. “I was not allowed to do very many interviews, and the interviews that I did were not necessarily those I would have chosen,” she said. “But I was so thankful to have the opportunity to run with John McCain that I was not going to argue with the strategy decisions that some of his people were making regarding the media contacts...if I would have been in charge, I would have wanted to speak to more reporters, because that’s how you get your message out to the electorate.”

The Arizona senator would not tell King Thursday whether he was personally stung by Palin’s criticism of his top aides. “Look, we're very close friends, and I talk to her all the time and look forward to seeing her, I think, in a week or so,” he said. “We're very close.”

McCain also side-stepped the question of whether he’d ever raised those comments with her. “Oh - these things always happen in campaigns,” he said. “She has my respect and my affection and that's undying.”

Last month, he told an interviewer Sarah Palin could not necessarily count on his support his former running mate if she chose to run for president.

"I can't say something like that. We've got some great other young governors,” he told ABC then. “I think you're going to see the governors assume a greater leadership role in our Republican Party," he said, citing Governors Tim Pawlenty of Minnesota and Jon Huntsman of Utah.

“...Have no doubt of my admiration and respect for her and my view of her viability, but at this stage, again … my corpse is still warm, you know?"

Filed under: John McCain • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. Freed_From_W

Palin deserves nothing but ridicule.

January 23, 2009 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  2. P. Y.

I have to agree with " Independent Florida Voter ".

Sarah Baracuda ( her spelling ) is Sarah Palin. She admitted to that " nic name " when she was in school.

Can't fool us Sarah.

Idiot !

January 23, 2009 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  3. We're NOT "your friends"!!!

I agree with you Sen. McCain. She does have a big role to play. She has to help Pres. Obama get re-elected in 4 years.

GOOOOO PALIN!!!!

January 23, 2009 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  4. Mark

Ah Sarah Palin. I can still see her acting all professional while turkeys are being killed in the background. Yep, she's ready to run this country, just like Bush.....clueless!

January 23, 2009 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  5. Carrie

Well, McCain has to make nice, what can he say. Privately, he probably says something else.

For the sake of all of us Democrats out there, run, Sarah, run! Run for prez in 2012, and I hope you get the nomination!

January 23, 2009 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  6. Donna

Oh spare me please. She is all about the spotlight for herself and not necessarily about the Republican Party. She is the reason you did not win. Get a clue, you old codger.

January 23, 2009 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  7. ldk

@Sarah Barracuda – good going, but you forgot the most important thing – SHE CAN SEE RUSSIA FROM HER HOUSE......snicker snicker....what a m o r o n - you and Palin.

January 23, 2009 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  8. Roberto

GOP: Please run Palin, again and again. Make her your mouthpiece. Put her on every banner with her slogan "YOU BETCHA". It will show Americans just what the GOP is all about.

January 23, 2009 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  9. Brandy

Good Grief. Even AFTER President Obama won the election on Nov. 4th and even AFTER he was sworn in on Jan. 20th, all you liberals are STILL bashing Sarah Palin anytime she is in the news. There is a fine line between jealousy, envy and hate. Jealous and envious people are quite simply haters. They, instead of working on themselves, find it more preferable to exert that energy hurting others, namecalling, etc. I didn't vote for Obama, but I wish him well for the sake of this country. He is my president and although I don't agree with most of his politics, I certainly would stoop as low as some of you on this forum and call him the names or speak disrectful of him as you people do Gov. Palin. Why don't you find something more important to gripe, moan and complain about.

January 23, 2009 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  10. Bill. ca

I hope Palin is running in 2012, that would be even a greater landslide for the democrats.

January 23, 2009 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  11. nerakami

I think many conservative Republicans are in a state of denial... quite understandable. The truth is the majority of Americans have decided that we can do better at finding common ground... for the good of all. The era of narrow minded philosophies as the rule... IS OVER !!!

Thank God for democracy where the majority rules...
    "when the mind has been expanded, it can never go back". The Republicans need to realize, America will never go back.

January 23, 2009 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  12. Benn

I just hope she does not fall for anymore of his crap. She shouldn't meet with McCain. He's a RINO. Both he and Graham need to switch parties & make it official.

January 23, 2009 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  13. AndyL

Why are democrats so angry with this woman, just bask in the light from the halo of your messiah and leave her alone. In 4 years she can be put in charge of catching all the terrorist Obama set free from Guantanamo.

January 23, 2009 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  14. mike

please please please run in 2012

January 23, 2009 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  15. Angie in Pa

Mccain instead of meeting with Palin can you please work on your pathetic party and tell them to work with President Obama and the Democrats! MCCAIN THE COUNTRY DOES NOT GIVE A HOOT ABOUT PALIN THEY CARE ABOUT THE ECONOMY now go be mavericky with the republicans!

January 23, 2009 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  16. really

I always thought McCain was a decent guy that didn't get stuck in the sole beliefs of his party. Now I think he is a poor judge in character in choosing her and trying to be extreme right. Sarah isn't mature enough to let internet rumors go. It's politics, it isn't pretty and there are a bunch of people that write blogs that aren't true. How many times did he herself sling mud during the campaign that weren't true? Grow up Sarah. Get an apartment in LA or NY and visit the real America.

January 23, 2009 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  17. Mike

Moma Grizzly – Sarah? Is that you Sarah?

You'd think she'd have learned her lesson and realized she has some major studying to do about the world, economics, history, the Constitution, etc. Instead she's chosen to chase the spotlight and is focused on staying in the media. Makes you wonder who's running Alaska while she's out moonlighting as someone of relevence. On a positive note, she's showing us where her priorities are and it's not preparing herself to lead the nation. Good information to have in case she runs again.

January 23, 2009 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  18. libertyville

Senator McCain has again shown himself to be the role model for class in politics, a lesson most politicians from both parties could learn much from. Gov Palin, new to Eastern style politics has a lot to learn but looks like she will have staying power. It is interesting to note that VP Biden now has become the court jester of the administration, and was originally wrong in his scolding of Palin on the constitutional duties of the vice president. Palin's gaffes are paling next to the continuing gaffes by Biden.

January 23, 2009 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  19. Jay

I thought the Republicans were the party of hate speak.

Practice what you preach "liberals"!

January 23, 2009 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  20. Debra, NY

Anyone honestly thinks that Sarah Palin is intellectually or idealogically suited to the office of President, is as deluded and ignorant as she is. Unfortunately, there are quite a few people in this country who are perfectly happy with the mediocre and the substandard, as witnessed in the 8 years we had to suffer with Bush. Until the American people accept that intelligence is not "elitism", and put emphasis upon elevating discourse, we will be subjected to her lot indefinitely.

January 23, 2009 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  21. JA/TN

Palin need to sit down and shutup

January 23, 2009 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  22. danny

Whether you voted for him or not, agree w/him or not, etc., Sen. McCain is an erstwhile respected public servant. He served our country with distinction in the military and as a U.S. Senator. Moreover, his views are often well-reasoned and principled. Gov. Palin is a 2-bit hack. A beauty pageant winner – turned community college student – turned U Idaho (that bastion of intellectual glory) – turned UI dropout – turned UI re-attendee – turned mayor of AK's methamphetamine capitol – turned Gov. on a fluke. She needs to bow out.

January 23, 2009 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  23. probama

Raise your hands if the thought of Sarah Palin 'playing a big role in the future of the Republican Party' scares you. Seriously. Scary.

January 23, 2009 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  24. RepublicansHateAmerica

Palin is a dream come true for the Progressive Democrats. The more she is in the spotlight, the better. Let's keep her a pop icon, right up there with Britney, Paris and Branglina.

January 23, 2009 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  25. Former Democrat

All the Palin/McCain haters will be begging for them by the time President Nobama gets done with this country!

January 23, 2009 10:01 am at 10:01 am |