January 23rd, 2009
7 months ago

McCain says he and Palin plan to meet this month

CNN

Watch McCain discuss his relationship with Palin.

(CNN) – Despite the post-election battle between Sarah Palin and John McCain's campaign advisors, the former Republican presidential candidate told CNN’s Larry King both members of the GOP ticket remain “very close.”

McCain — who has been edging his way back into the spotlight Palin never quite left - dismissed questions over his running mate’s criticism of his campaign team. “Listen, I think the world of Governor Palin, her husband Todd, her family, I'm honored that she would run with me,” he said in an interview Thursday.

“And look, whenever there is a losing campaign there is always a little bit of back and forth, and it happens post-mortem. I am so grateful to have her as a friend, and I believe that she represents a lot to the Republican Party in the future. I think she has a big role to play.”

Palin and senior McCain aides, many of them anonymous, have traded criticism since the Republican ticket’s defeat.

Last month, the Alaska governor told Human Events that following the campaign’s media strategy was her biggest regret of the race. “I was not allowed to do very many interviews, and the interviews that I did were not necessarily those I would have chosen,” she said. “But I was so thankful to have the opportunity to run with John McCain that I was not going to argue with the strategy decisions that some of his people were making regarding the media contacts...if I would have been in charge, I would have wanted to speak to more reporters, because that’s how you get your message out to the electorate.”

The Arizona senator would not tell King Thursday whether he was personally stung by Palin’s criticism of his top aides. “Look, we're very close friends, and I talk to her all the time and look forward to seeing her, I think, in a week or so,” he said. “We're very close.”

McCain also side-stepped the question of whether he’d ever raised those comments with her. “Oh - these things always happen in campaigns,” he said. “She has my respect and my affection and that's undying.”

Last month, he told an interviewer Sarah Palin could not necessarily count on his support his former running mate if she chose to run for president.

"I can't say something like that. We've got some great other young governors,” he told ABC then. “I think you're going to see the governors assume a greater leadership role in our Republican Party," he said, citing Governors Tim Pawlenty of Minnesota and Jon Huntsman of Utah.

“...Have no doubt of my admiration and respect for her and my view of her viability, but at this stage, again … my corpse is still warm, you know?"

Filed under: John McCain • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. Mr. Phil

All I have to say is, if Palin somehow hoodwinks enough religio-freaks and rednecks to win in 2012, I'm moving to Spain because it will surely hearken the end of the U.S.A. as we know it. We just got rid of one clueless idiot in the White House, do you really think we'll replace someone who is intelligent (a JD from Harvard...that's a Doctorate degree for you nudnicks who never made it out of high school) and can speak in complete, coherent, and cognizant sentences with someone who is unintelligent (ooohhh...a Bachelor's degree!!!) and can't even answer a simple question like what kind of periodicals do you read? I shudder to think!!!

January 23, 2009 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  2. Sleepless in MI

I watched the whole interview with Larry King and McCain. As usual, McCain was his usual sincere self (back to the guy he was BEFORE the campaign), and the only time he did not seem sincere was when he was speaking of his affection for Palin. In that moment, he put on his campaign face again and very unconvincingly spoke of his confidence in and appreciate for her. Everyone knows Palin is intellectually lacking ... even McCain.

January 23, 2009 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  3. Fred

Now is the time for the Republican party to revamp itself in preparation for the 2012 election. By that time, the American public will be tired of the corruption and back-door deals of the Obama administration.

January 23, 2009 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  4. rob

be careful if she mistakes you for a moose–its all over

January 23, 2009 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  5. Joe

Sarah Palin..........John McCain used you, plain and simple, and you were too bubble headed to recognize that. Get over it.

January 23, 2009 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  6. I doubt it very much

It's almost identical to what he said about her during the campaign...and then we found out afterward that they barely spoke unless forced to.
    I'll bet my next paycheck he has no intentions of meeting Bible Spice this week, or any other time.

January 23, 2009 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  7. Rachel

We know now that McCain is getting foggy in the head when he thinks Palin was good for the Republican party. Wake up and smell the coffee. You didn't have it and neither did she. Your choice, which you thought you were so crafty, ended up putting egg on your face. Your not saying anything because you are afraid to with her sharp, avenging tounge. Let's see what she has to say about you in her book.
    I think she will say it is all your fault. Your scheme didn't work and her winking and not too bright remarks didn't either. And hey, she didn't need a whole lot of money...since when has the RNC or Democrates outfitted candidates with $150 thou worth of wardrobe??? The gal is smart.....street smart. All you lame headed fans of Palin need to get a life and get some "learnen". You are not much brighter than she is and as McCain....I rest my case.

January 23, 2009 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  8. SMSNJ

While I am not a huge fan of McCain, he has shown that he has much more class and dignity than Palin ever will. She comes across as a very petty and immature person.

January 23, 2009 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  9. Steve

Please, please, PLEASE let the Republicans keep clinging to that Palin moron as being the "future of their party." That'll ensure that they won't get back into office any time soon, and will be unable to do us more harm. McCain is being very diplomatic here, but the fact is, he's experiencing what happens when a relationship with a sociopath goes sideways on him. Sarah has backstabbed everyone who ever helped her, and McCain will be no exception to that. She'll try to make everything his fault. while the truth is, *she* was the one who hurt *his* election chances. Independents and moderates and sensible Republicans weren't going to vote for McCain when it would put a corrupt dullard like Palin one heartbeat away from the presidency. She appeals only to theocratic idiots and right-wing fringe elements... and those people don't need to be running this country in the first place.

January 23, 2009 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  10. Jacqueline in Cameron,Missouri

S. Bar(r)acuda, it is laughable that you seem to honestly believe yourself when you suggest that Alaska is defending the United States from Russia. I do believe there is a U.S. Base in Alaska and I also believe that it is run by the U.S. Military as opposed to State Government.

January 23, 2009 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  11. Art Michaelson

McCain/Palin lost 47% to 53%, That is THREE points under the 50%+ majority to win. Realize that 43% of white voters and more than 95% of BKACK voters voted for OBAMA. It might have been a land slide in trhe ELEC TORAL COLLEGE but certainly not in the total popular vote. That means if the YOUNG folks and the BLACK folks did not come out for OBAMA we could realstically have that peabrain PALIN sitting outside the OVAL OFFICE waiting to become PRESIDENT. What a scary nightmare. America you lucked out again

January 23, 2009 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  12. Mathilda

RE: Rush. Anyone, regardless of their political affiliation, that hopes for the worst for the current administration is nothing short of unpatriotic. We're talking about our country and the people (us) that call this our home. Quit trying to split people, grow up and be part of the team. Fear and hate are just ugly, wasted emotions. Let's not be THAT country.

January 23, 2009 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  13. Melissa

I think she needs to go away. She's an embarassment to the Republican party and to women.

January 23, 2009 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  14. Mike

14:57....14:58....14:59.....15:00! Times up!

January 23, 2009 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  15. hawkeye

What would Lush Dumbaugh say? I hope they can get back together. Any one appointed by God thet can not keep their mouth shut during the prayers at the inaugeration has NOTHING to offer Americans.

January 23, 2009 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  16. case

McCain is a class act. Even though I voted for Obama- McCain is a great man for those of you bashing him- get a life.

January 23, 2009 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  17. KMAN

"I believe that she represents a lot to the Republican Party in the future. I think she has a big role to play.”

If this is true ... there's one more reason for Democrates to be excited!!

January 23, 2009 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  18. Diana

Instead of all your critism you could learn from John McCain what its like to be a man ...... I for one am glad Obama has only 4 years because hes made some pretty bad calls already even [people who voted for him are already saying that they think they made a mistake.....as far a Sarah goes I think all the women are just jealous of her and thats sad

January 23, 2009 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  19. TWO KOOKS FOR YOU

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHAAA.

Enough of these baboons. Enough.

January 23, 2009 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  20. Steph I.

from pam
    January 22nd, 2009 6:57 pm ET
    Most of you liberal naysayers should be so lucky to be able to boast the accomplishments of Sarah Palin, a REAL American woman who can do it ALL — wife, mother, governo — what have YOU accomplished lately — blogging garbage? then
    Sarah Palin is an amazingly accomplished American woman for her age! You liberal hate mongers who hide behind your computers can't hold a candle to her !!!!!!!!!!
    it looks like you troll the political ticker to make your self look good because you are so angry that you party farted away the chance to run America into the ground, I guess you still believe that they were WMD in Iraq too?
    yeesh pam you really honestly believe she can run a country?
    lookinto her facts not the way she yelled on the stage
    she never once mentioned what she would propose to do if elected sje only mentioned what the Dems would do so in de facto ( you do know aht that means don't you? yeah use the dictionary)
    helped the Dems win get over it your party is about dividing the country
    I cannot believe you how the heck can you? it is NOT because I am a Democrat, My father was in 3 wars for this country count them 3!!! WW2, Korea AND Vietnam
    the rest of these wars that have occurred were by proxy ( so you know that that means?)
    IF you stop attacking people and well look at the real facts ( they picked the wrong person they felt she would get Hillary's votes but guess what? it didn't work
    get your facts together
    and stop Trolling

January 23, 2009 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  21. itbeme

you would think that people would actually do some reading and get informed instead of just spewing bs that they heard during the election. PALIN DOES NOT "COMMAND" THE ALAKSA MISSILE DEFENSE UNIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She has NO control over them.......

Maybe mcidiot should go visit his half baked alaskan at her house.....they could sit on her back porch and watch Russia.....we need to keep an eye them you know......

January 23, 2009 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  22. Jean

Yeteresdy Governor Palin delivered her state of the state address without a TELEPROMPER. Part of the speech.

“Today, when challenges may seem as high as Mt. McKinley, and change as constant as the mighty Yukon flows, and political events send shockwaves through our foundation like the '64 quake – what do Alaskans do? We climb Denali, we forge the river, we rebuild a stronger foundation on higher ground. When it matters most, lesser differences fall away. Just like family, Alaskans unite.

It was this kind of determined action that turned the northland wilds into a territory, a territory into a state, and that state, across 50 years, into a land of industry, opportunity, and enduring beauty. And now that perseverance is needed again, as we go through a time of testing for our country – a time of economic worry for many Alaskans – a time of challenge to the wisdom and resolve of state government.

Governor Wally Hickel said he feared more than any economic depression – a DEPRESSION OF THE SPIRIT. Alaska, it's time we revive the optimistic, pioneering spirit that our founding mothers and fathers birthed in our State Constitution! As we celebrate statehood – let that spirit rise now, and our actions correspond as our founders intended.”

As I was listened, somehow I got the feeling Alaskans will do just fine, don’t get me wrong tough times are ahead but they will walk with a strong leader in Sarah.

This woman was able to lift her state with a speech, a truly gifted speaker. Did I mention no TELEPROMPER.

Now it makes sense why the far left kooks repeat the same stupidity talking points.

$10,000,000 for two months of work equals one stupid woman! Wink, wink.

January 23, 2009 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  23. DJ in TX

I'm not going to diss on Gov Palin, however, I do believe she is just one of the reasons Sen McCain lost the election. Instead of choosing someone to govern, he chose someone to "energize" the so called GOP base. I think that hurt him with independents, moderate Republicans and Blue Dog Democrats (all either just left or right of center). It was a calculated risk.

Then when she was allowed to speak to the media alone..............no need to say anything else. People kept talking about her "qualifications" or "experience". Yes, she was a mayor and Governor. But never had met a foreign dignatary, never travelling abroad, no knowledge of foreign policy, or much about how the federal government works..................While legitamate experience questions arose about Obama, in my view she had less experience. I'm sorry, not being able to name a newspaper you read, after stating she disagreed with Supreme Court rulings, she then couldn't name one, not knowing what the Bush policy was (even though it was favored by the GOP), I'm sorry, McCain made a mistake. Even as a Democrat, I fully believe McCain could be the President right now with Tom Ridge, Romney or one of the young GOP governors.

January 23, 2009 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  24. lacountry

Both Palin and McCain are so honorable and we would have been well represented by them. They will always be remembered: she because of her fun and fiesty nature and he because of his never-ending polite and fair character in the speaking arena.

January 23, 2009 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  25. Leo Kishore

The far right has a lot to grow up to in America.

Taking some real science classes would be a good start. Then real history classes. Preferrably the egyptian empire and such. Let's talk after you get those done. Then we can talk about why Palin is driving the GOP staight in the ground.

January 23, 2009 10:30 am at 10:30 am |