January 23rd, 2009
11 months ago

McCain says he and Palin plan to meet this month

CNN

Watch McCain discuss his relationship with Palin.

(CNN) – Despite the post-election battle between Sarah Palin and John McCain's campaign advisors, the former Republican presidential candidate told CNN’s Larry King both members of the GOP ticket remain “very close.”

McCain — who has been edging his way back into the spotlight Palin never quite left - dismissed questions over his running mate’s criticism of his campaign team. “Listen, I think the world of Governor Palin, her husband Todd, her family, I'm honored that she would run with me,” he said in an interview Thursday.

“And look, whenever there is a losing campaign there is always a little bit of back and forth, and it happens post-mortem. I am so grateful to have her as a friend, and I believe that she represents a lot to the Republican Party in the future. I think she has a big role to play.”

Palin and senior McCain aides, many of them anonymous, have traded criticism since the Republican ticket’s defeat.

Last month, the Alaska governor told Human Events that following the campaign’s media strategy was her biggest regret of the race. “I was not allowed to do very many interviews, and the interviews that I did were not necessarily those I would have chosen,” she said. “But I was so thankful to have the opportunity to run with John McCain that I was not going to argue with the strategy decisions that some of his people were making regarding the media contacts...if I would have been in charge, I would have wanted to speak to more reporters, because that’s how you get your message out to the electorate.”

The Arizona senator would not tell King Thursday whether he was personally stung by Palin’s criticism of his top aides. “Look, we're very close friends, and I talk to her all the time and look forward to seeing her, I think, in a week or so,” he said. “We're very close.”

McCain also side-stepped the question of whether he’d ever raised those comments with her. “Oh - these things always happen in campaigns,” he said. “She has my respect and my affection and that's undying.”

Last month, he told an interviewer Sarah Palin could not necessarily count on his support his former running mate if she chose to run for president.

"I can't say something like that. We've got some great other young governors,” he told ABC then. “I think you're going to see the governors assume a greater leadership role in our Republican Party," he said, citing Governors Tim Pawlenty of Minnesota and Jon Huntsman of Utah.

“...Have no doubt of my admiration and respect for her and my view of her viability, but at this stage, again … my corpse is still warm, you know?"

Filed under: John McCain • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. BJs65

Wow. How anyone can think it's just the "libs" who "hate" Sarah. Unfortunately for her, even many in the Republican party cannot stand the sight or sound of her. Extremely polarizing woman that she is.

I personally do not "hate" her. To "hate" is to show more emotion than I could possibly feel for her. Apathy is more like it.

January 23, 2009 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  2. Bill A

Listen Folks,I'm not a Palin hater,didn't vote for her.I'm sure she's a nice lady,a good wife and mother.My problem with her is that she just doesn't have the mental capacity or the intellectual ability to run this country.She just doesn't bring anything to the table,sorry.

January 23, 2009 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  3. ArgieM

"If I would have been in charge, I would have wanted to speak to more reporters, because that’s how you get your message out to the electorate.”....There is just one thing wrong with that statement....She didn't have a message

January 23, 2009 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  4. carolflowery

Gov. Sarah Palin has more class than anyone crticizing her, even President Obama. He held a supposedly bipartisan dinner for McCan and didnt even invite Gov. Sarah Palin, which would have been the proper and bipartisan thing to do, afterall, she was a part of the campaign that brought some excitement and hope for many Americans. So, was his dinner bipartisan, I think not. Shame on him.

January 23, 2009 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  5. What has happened to Americans?

Apaulin she is.

January 23, 2009 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  6. DING-DONG

"Sarah Baracuda"is dumber than a box of rocks, just like her idol.

Palin is the ignorant trash that has weakened America. The likes or her and her blind followers are one of the greatest problems we face in America today ... just outright, plain old fashioned ignorance. Disgusting.

January 23, 2009 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  7. Irish in Virginia

To Shoegazer: That was a brilliant excerpt.....perhaps you can sign the rights over to Ms. Palin....

Perhaps to the fine folks in the state of Alaska she is an answer to their prayers, but in the lower 48 she is nothing more than and irritant that just won't go away. Ms. Palin you would do well to get yourself a very knowledgeable tutor if you plan on running in 2012. It will give you 4 years to prepare, and even that won't be long enough.

Did anyone wonder why she wasn't at the dinner for McCain? She wasn't invited!

January 23, 2009 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  8. Rick Sutter

Why are you libs so nervous about Palin? It seems that even in victory you cannot stop your spit-sputtering, red-faced, venoumous hatred for all who do not support your socialist views. Assertions that Palin is not intelligent-wrong. Your disgust with anyone who "has enough money left over to buy a book"-pathetic. The Right will never go away, nor should it. You do not have a mandate to change the country; you have a temporary slim majority. Enjoy your success and try to stop spewing hatred.

January 23, 2009 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  9. Amanda

Mark @ 9:34:

"More so then John McCain".
    More so THAN John McCain.

"Like Sarah, Mitt, Thompson……Jed Bush….. And others."
    If you're going to fawn over the conservative Republicans you worship, you might want to realize his name is JEB Bush, not "Jed". Wow, you must really know your stuff, huh?

"Oh one more thing…..RUSH RULES!"
    OMG liek totally!!11 Hes liek soooooo hawt lolol!! BRB totaly have 2 txt my bff about how much he RULES!

Really, Mark? Wow.

January 23, 2009 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  10. S.M

The reason why the McCain campaign put a harness on Palin and interviews, was because she was oblivious to foreign affairs and had no clue as to the role of the VP when asked by a third grader. When asked by Katie Couric what does she read, Palin couldn't even name not one paper, magazine or book that she had read, nor could she name three major Supreme Court decisions.

Some people just need to realize that they aren't smart enough for certain positions and stop trying to pretend.

January 23, 2009 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  11. BB

In the primaries, McCain said he knew how to get Bin Laden. When is he going to let the Military know how? Or is he protecting Bin Laden in order to get what he wants?

January 23, 2009 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  12. Sher

Who do these people think they're kidding?! The FDA peanut recall listed the Peanut Gallery as the most tainted! PLEASE dispose of those two immediately! We are SO sick of those two! Don't you get it CNN? THEY ARE MAKING US SICK! Toss them out already!!!

January 23, 2009 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  13. Steve in CT

Reading the comments shows why the US is in such decline. If people have commentary about Gov. Palin it should be about her positions on policies, not the wardrobe the party had her wear. About her credentials, not her looks. About her experience, not her family. The comments here reflect the worst of America claiming to be the mainstream. If you feel the other candidates are more aware than she about the important stuff say so, but have your subject matter be of substance. If you think our new VP is more qualified than she with oil policies, even though as Energy Czar of Alaska she took on big oil and won show your reasons. If you feel he's more qualified to share his experience as Commander In Chief than she (even though he has no experience where she does) explain your position. If you feel he's more qualified than she to be Chief Exectutive (even though he has no experience and she does) share your reasoning. She's done a fine job leading the largest land mass state and though I feel she needs more polish I don't see where her competition was qualified either. If on the other hand all you have to share is hollow attacks from the safety of nobody knowing who you are and you feel the best you can offer is an insuation she should have "a threesome" with McKane and Joe The Plummer please get professional help. those on the same side as this sicko reflect on who you relate with.

January 23, 2009 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  14. zack

sarah palin is such an idiot. And whats even more idiotic is that republicans think that she is now the face of the party and their only hope in 2012. I always thought republicans were backwards in their thought process but this is going over the line.

January 23, 2009 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  15. Aaauuuugghhh!

Where was this gracious, upstanding guy during the campaign?

The RNC magic transformation play for your vote in three acts:

Act 1 Before Nomination: Narrator – "Here's John McCain, stand up guy, works well with others, speaks his mind, earns respect. "

Act 2 The Nomination, or, The Republican Way: RNC – "Oh Crap, we got McCain. Weill, OK John, heres the deal – we want tro win at any cost, so abandon your morals, ditch your self-respect, burn your cross-party affiliations, and denigrate your competitors. And oh, we need to make a cynical play for Hillary supporters, so appoint some woman as your running mate. We don't care who, they're just women, they'll vote for a woman, right? So just make sure she's female, and, oh yeah, it would help if she's a funadmentalist loon. That would be a base-appealing two-fer!"

Act 3 Post election: Narrator – "Look, heres John MCCain, stand up guy, works well with others, speaks his mind, earns respect....."

January 23, 2009 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  16. az voter

I am a Republican and feel sorry for Poor John ... He still has to appear in the eyes of the far right that he's all for Palin. It sure is difficult to govern from the middle while you're pulling all that radical baggage around. Why doesn't the ultra conservative wing of the Republican party get a glue, and just put a sock in it.

January 23, 2009 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  17. Central Scruitinizer

Eileen I hope you are correct that Palin is gonna be around for a long time. She is a delightful person and is 'unique' in her worldviews(whatever they are.) Her comedic contributions have been many, and her ability to add hundreds of millions of dollars to the oppositions campaign are invaluable. If she somehow makes it through the primaries (see Repugs Eat Her Alive) then the dems will have garentee of victory for the forseable future. I completely support you and your statement and hope she has a very long career as the frontrunner of the gop

January 23, 2009 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  18. Critical Thinker

How popular would Gov. Palin be in her home state if all of the oil producing taxes dried up and Alaskans actually had to pay for their government, including her days at home charged as per diem? No wonder she wants to drill baby drill in Anwar!

January 23, 2009 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  19. AdamW

GO AWAY. Geez. These people need to get a clue.

January 23, 2009 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  20. Maggie

What else can he say? "Sorry, America. I messed up. I should NEVER have chosen someone who didn't have working brain cells as a running mate."

Nope. He won't admit his mistake now. Not only is it too late, it'd make him look even worse than it did during the campaign. Every time Sarah Palin opened her mouth, she showed the world how unintelligent and self-centered she was.

January 23, 2009 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  21. Farrell, Houston, Tx

McCain lost a lot of respect during his campaign due to Palin, however, I see he hasn't learned anything. I know Obama is smart enough not to trust McCain.

January 23, 2009 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  22. stitcher

I live in Alaska and she embarrasses me, I'm ready to leave this state that I used to be proud of living in for the past few years. I'm glad I'm one of the few who didn't vote for her.

January 23, 2009 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  23. grahame

That's good John.

Let's just forget the past and roll onto the future in 2012. Perhaps John McCain, I would guess, want's a positive chapter in Palins upcoming novel which I would certainly buy since I'm out of toilet paper.

Keep it coming Republicans you have about as much chance as an Alaskan snowball in Death Valley. Does Palin know the meaning of the word 'Aggrandizement?' Obviously not.

January 23, 2009 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  24. DKing

I guess the same 30 something percent that thought Bush did a good job are the same ones that think Palin is smart. What a pathetic lot.

January 23, 2009 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  25. Tom in Desoto, Tx

I would expect crayons to come with any book Palin would come out with. I suspect it is ghost written. She's demonstrated she's not qualified to be mayor of Bumkiss no less Governor and God forbid anything higher.

January 23, 2009 10:46 am at 10:46 am |