January 23rd, 2009
10 months ago

McCain says he and Palin plan to meet this month

CNN

Watch McCain discuss his relationship with Palin.

(CNN) – Despite the post-election battle between Sarah Palin and John McCain's campaign advisors, the former Republican presidential candidate told CNN’s Larry King both members of the GOP ticket remain “very close.”

McCain — who has been edging his way back into the spotlight Palin never quite left - dismissed questions over his running mate’s criticism of his campaign team. “Listen, I think the world of Governor Palin, her husband Todd, her family, I'm honored that she would run with me,” he said in an interview Thursday.

“And look, whenever there is a losing campaign there is always a little bit of back and forth, and it happens post-mortem. I am so grateful to have her as a friend, and I believe that she represents a lot to the Republican Party in the future. I think she has a big role to play.”

Palin and senior McCain aides, many of them anonymous, have traded criticism since the Republican ticket’s defeat.

Last month, the Alaska governor told Human Events that following the campaign’s media strategy was her biggest regret of the race. “I was not allowed to do very many interviews, and the interviews that I did were not necessarily those I would have chosen,” she said. “But I was so thankful to have the opportunity to run with John McCain that I was not going to argue with the strategy decisions that some of his people were making regarding the media contacts...if I would have been in charge, I would have wanted to speak to more reporters, because that’s how you get your message out to the electorate.”

The Arizona senator would not tell King Thursday whether he was personally stung by Palin’s criticism of his top aides. “Look, we're very close friends, and I talk to her all the time and look forward to seeing her, I think, in a week or so,” he said. “We're very close.”

McCain also side-stepped the question of whether he’d ever raised those comments with her. “Oh - these things always happen in campaigns,” he said. “She has my respect and my affection and that's undying.”

Last month, he told an interviewer Sarah Palin could not necessarily count on his support his former running mate if she chose to run for president.

"I can't say something like that. We've got some great other young governors,” he told ABC then. “I think you're going to see the governors assume a greater leadership role in our Republican Party," he said, citing Governors Tim Pawlenty of Minnesota and Jon Huntsman of Utah.

“...Have no doubt of my admiration and respect for her and my view of her viability, but at this stage, again … my corpse is still warm, you know?"

Filed under: John McCain • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. Bill Charlotte, NC

whooooooooooooooooooopie! That ought to cause a realignment of the stars and planets!

January 23, 2009 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  2. WIlly Brown

Go away "Nag" McCain

January 23, 2009 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  3. donlova

well u kno what? he should go visit her and talk about how she can do her job as a governor better..because she is certainly not wanted as a vp or president

January 23, 2009 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  4. butters

Sarah who? She is trying to cling to her 15 minutes for as long as possible. She loved the media attention and now that we have all forgotten about her, she wants to whine about how unfairly she was treated. She should save face and fade back into obscurity where she can shoot defenseless wolf cubs and keep an eye on Russia for us! please...

January 23, 2009 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  5. Nancy, CA

If, by a miracle, Sarah Palin gets the Republican nomination in 2012, then President Obama will be re-elected by a landslide!!

January 23, 2009 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  6. Kitty

LOL – the green eyed monster out again in full force!! LOL – LOL....

Gov. Palin is here to stay PERIOD!!!! Get used to it!!! She could do alot better than the bus driver we have today!!!

His idea for torturing terrorists will be to give them food they don't like or maybe have them watch one of his speeches!! That's very scarey!!! LOL – LOL...

January 23, 2009 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  7. Ken

GaryB

You can spout facts all you want, but those on the right don't care about facts. Such things are disregarded if the storyline doesn't fit their preconceived notions.

The Reich wing of this nation will only serve to further marginalize the Republican party into irrelvance.

January 23, 2009 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  8. John, Rochester MN

It's interesting that so many right-wingers on here call us "Palin haters". We're not Palin haters, we're realists. We know she is the least qualified person to ever run for an office that high. She can't think on her feet, she can't speak even remotely eloquently, and she has no business being anywhere near the white house except maybe as a tourist. It amazes me that you people keep thinking that it's a good idea to put the dumbest, least qualified person in the white house. Eight years of that was enough. Let the smart people run things for a while.

January 23, 2009 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  9. Rick from Portland

There is nothing as dangerous as people with deep convictions and shallow intellect. That is the basic problem I have with those in the Republican party. The spout their crap, stick their heads in the sand, and cling to myth, superstition, patriotism and yes religion to justify their actions.

I would be concerned that the first Executve Order of a President Palin would be a return to the Salem Witch Hunts on a National level, with anyone not believing as she does being branded a traitor or worse.

Some talk of Obama being the Anti-Christ, but a far more likely candidate would be one of these folks who wrap themselves in the flag and call you a traitor if you dare to criticize them. Well, in the words of John Burke "Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel".

And lest you think me some soft intellectual elitist, I am a former Marine Officer, a combat vet of Central American campaigns and the Middle East, but you bet I voted for Obama, and will not vote Republican again until that party shows me they are more than just ignorant haters.

January 23, 2009 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  10. RN in Ann Arbor

How much attention does a train wreck deserve?
    This is no longer news and it is not important.
    There are more important things going on now. It appears we now have a president who wants everyone to work together. So, let's do that.
    If we are to survive as a nation we need to stop the politics of hate and division and self indulgence. Let's get to work and make this a better country.

January 23, 2009 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  11. SJ in SJ

I see a lot of people claiming that "liberals" oppose Ms. Palin. I've never been a liberal, and swing to the right as often as I do to the left. It's not just that she alienates liberals (though I'm sure she does) – she alienates moderates of all stripes.

The only people heaping adoration on her are from the extreme far right, which is only a sliver of the Republican party. I'm hoping intelligent, thinking Republicans keep a close eye on her.

January 23, 2009 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  12. Frank

Not hard to tell which part of the former Republican ticket was the class and which was the trash.

January 23, 2009 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  13. Alan

Go, Sarah, go! I might even be convinced to help you get the nomination. The surest way to keep the Repugs out of Washington is to keep running airheads like Sarah so - I'm all for her!

January 23, 2009 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  14. pray2008pray

sounds like someone has a crush!!!!!

January 23, 2009 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  15. Tony

Campaigns are rough and tumble and though I don't agree with Sen. McCain's political philosophy at all, we are all better served by the players showing class and restraint, like he did here.

January 23, 2009 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  16. dj stevie mac

I hope Palin runs in the next election Because she will loose for the republicans the BIG AIR HEAD!

January 23, 2009 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  17. letsgetreal

Sarah WHO???
    Aren't her 15 minutes of fame up yet? Cripes!!!!

January 23, 2009 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  18. EDDIE

Eileen- let's hope and pray she will be around for a long time because if that is the case the repubs will have to get used to loosing.The women is an idiot,there are more repub women who have a lot more experience than she will ever have and at the VERY LEAST they have COMMON SENSE.You can't teach stupid

January 23, 2009 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  19. fmr. Hillary Supporter now for McCain

Chris January 22nd 2009 at 10:26 pm E.T.:

"Note to CNN. Elections were over on Nov. 4th 2008 and Mr. Obama won in a landslide. He was inaugurated on the 20th of January 2009. Sarah who?"
    ***************************************************************************
    Note to Chris: First of all, A landslide win is when you get 55% of the vote. Obama didn't even get 54 and besides that, 53-47 is not considered a landside win.

And Second and Most Importantly, Sarah Palin. The woman who's the reason why Obama didn't "win in a landslide" you stubbornly claim happened.

IDIOT!

January 23, 2009 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  20. themoi

Comedian Ron White was right "You can't fix stupid"

January 23, 2009 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  21. Matt

She plans to use all the trees in the ANWR for making the paper on which to print the pop-up book she's writing.

January 23, 2009 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  22. GOP LOST

He must be senile to keep supporting her lack of anything and his misguided thoughts of chosing her as a running mate

January 23, 2009 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  23. Jackie in Dallas

The only part Palin has to play in the Republican Party is to continue to divide it, and lead to it's evenual demise as a viable party. She appeals primarily to the far-right fringe element, which, if the GOP wants to survive in the 21st century, is NOT the direction the party should be heading.

The group the party should be courting is the moderates, who almost universally voted against McCain's ticket because of her. Her fairly extreme religious right views, while I think perfectly OK for her to have personally, are not the direction that public policy needs to be going in. Her persistent whining since the end of the election has turned off even more people. She has yet to take any responsibility in her failure, and until she does and rectifies the gaps in her grasp of national politics, economics, and international affairs, she's not likely to become anything more than a joke.

If she really wants to be taken seriously, she should stop searching for a media spotlight (while blaming the media for her inability to perform in a perfectly simple interview), take some classes in elocution so that she can speak in complete sentences, and start some serious studies of the Constitution, the Bill of Rights, national and international economics, and the physical and political geography of our changing world. This country can no longer afford to elect C students - we need the brightest and best if we are going to survive.

January 23, 2009 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  24. honeychild

Open letter to McCain & Palin,

It's time you both except the fact that you ran a hate spirited campaign and you got exactly what you deserve, more importantly we the American people got what we deserved; a President who truly cares about us all and will work to rebuild America. Please do us all a favor put aside the nonsense and work with our President. Didn't you listen to any thing he said?

Hip Hip Horay for Pres. Obama!

January 23, 2009 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  25. Meh

People who think that Palin could EVER win a federal election (i.e. – President) are as delusional as she is.
    Also, ladies....this woman is "the whole package"? Really? Why not set your sites a little higher? This is the 21st century, for Pete's sake. Relying soley on your looks to get places in the world is so icky and antiquated.

January 23, 2009 10:54 am at 10:54 am |