January 23rd, 2009
10 months ago

McCain says he and Palin plan to meet this month

CNN

Watch McCain discuss his relationship with Palin.

(CNN) – Despite the post-election battle between Sarah Palin and John McCain's campaign advisors, the former Republican presidential candidate told CNN’s Larry King both members of the GOP ticket remain “very close.”

McCain — who has been edging his way back into the spotlight Palin never quite left - dismissed questions over his running mate’s criticism of his campaign team. “Listen, I think the world of Governor Palin, her husband Todd, her family, I'm honored that she would run with me,” he said in an interview Thursday.

“And look, whenever there is a losing campaign there is always a little bit of back and forth, and it happens post-mortem. I am so grateful to have her as a friend, and I believe that she represents a lot to the Republican Party in the future. I think she has a big role to play.”

Palin and senior McCain aides, many of them anonymous, have traded criticism since the Republican ticket’s defeat.

Last month, the Alaska governor told Human Events that following the campaign’s media strategy was her biggest regret of the race. “I was not allowed to do very many interviews, and the interviews that I did were not necessarily those I would have chosen,” she said. “But I was so thankful to have the opportunity to run with John McCain that I was not going to argue with the strategy decisions that some of his people were making regarding the media contacts...if I would have been in charge, I would have wanted to speak to more reporters, because that’s how you get your message out to the electorate.”

The Arizona senator would not tell King Thursday whether he was personally stung by Palin’s criticism of his top aides. “Look, we're very close friends, and I talk to her all the time and look forward to seeing her, I think, in a week or so,” he said. “We're very close.”

McCain also side-stepped the question of whether he’d ever raised those comments with her. “Oh - these things always happen in campaigns,” he said. “She has my respect and my affection and that's undying.”

Last month, he told an interviewer Sarah Palin could not necessarily count on his support his former running mate if she chose to run for president.

"I can't say something like that. We've got some great other young governors,” he told ABC then. “I think you're going to see the governors assume a greater leadership role in our Republican Party," he said, citing Governors Tim Pawlenty of Minnesota and Jon Huntsman of Utah.

“...Have no doubt of my admiration and respect for her and my view of her viability, but at this stage, again … my corpse is still warm, you know?"

Filed under: John McCain • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. Gina in Racine Wi

The Democratic Party HOPES that Sarah Palin IS the future of the Republican Party.

We know Sarah can't see it.....neither can the media but....this woman is irrelevant.

If she runs for President in 2012......the Democrats will have another Landslide.

With Obama running the Country now.....and with the great job we know he will do.....we will probably have a Landslide anyway.

But I'm just saying............................

January 23, 2009 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  2. Matt

@ Sarah Barracuda
    "Maj. Gen. Craig Campbell, adjutant general of the Alaska National Guard, considers Palin "extremely responsive and smart" and says she is in charge when it comes to in-state services, such as emergencies and natural disasters where the National Guard is the first responder. But, in an interview with The Associated Press on Sunday, he said he and Palin play no role in national defense activities, even when they involve the Alaska National Guard. The entire operation is under federal control, and the governor is not briefed on situations." -Huffington Post, August 31, 2008

January 23, 2009 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  3. Veteran in Kansas

As a Republican, Palin was a surprise when McCain selected her as his running mate, a joke, but still a surprise.

Palin's selection in my opinion basically killed and chance McCain had to being elected, she was a gamble and the gamble did not pay off. Why, because as I said in the beginning of the election, forget the Bush base, the right wing fanatics within the party, If McCain was to win he needed the Conservative Democates, independents and moderate and to the left Republicans. Palin offered nothing to his ticket, and is not the future of the Republican Party, that is unless the Republicans desire to stay the minority party.

January 23, 2009 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  4. Kevin in Ohio

Wow, the liberal hate machine sure likes to raise its ugly head whenever Sarah Palin is mentioned. Will the hatemongering and vitriol ever end???? I thought the liberals were the "tolerant" and "kind-hearted" ones................ guess I am wrong..........

January 23, 2009 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  5. PDX Gal

Sarah baracuda-
    I wouldn't care if she could do all of that and twirl a baton and play the flute and walk with perfect poise all at the same time.

She shows no interest in using any talent or ability that she may have to do anything healthy for our country. She appears to have designs on sending science, human rights, and education back a hundred years or more. She cares nothing for the environment. When she did meet foreign leaders, she appeared overwhelmed. When she speaks it becomes undeniably evident that she is completely ignorant about current events or international relationships.

And in case you've been in a cave for the past 6 months, here's a tip: We need strong economic leadership. Something that McCain & Palin don't know where to find, don't know anything about, and cannot provide themselves. She certainly knows how to spend a lot of money on expensive junk to make her look good- but that's it.

Shirley in California is right. She is completely irrelevant. The attempt at an "experience" argument obviously did not work, but if you would like to beat the heck out of that dead horse, I suppose it is your prerogative.

January 23, 2009 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  6. Marcia, Marcia, Marcia in CA

You lost for a reason.

January 23, 2009 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  7. Beverly

JOHN from ROCHESTER MN – I LOVE YOU MAN!!!!!!!!

January 23, 2009 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  8. R Wolf

Please, CNN and other news programs – NO MORE MCCAIN OR PALIN, They were rejected by the voters and I, for one, don't want to listen to their whinning, bad mouthing, back stabbing comments
    any longer.

January 23, 2009 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  9. the heart of the matter

she wanted to do more interviews??? yeah ok..then Obama would have won by way more then he actually did!! she is such an example of why we need SMART people–not the mediocre ones!!!! and soory that may be an insult to the mediocre!! McCain should just blow her off and let her run herself into the ground more than she has-after all Country first!!!

January 23, 2009 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  10. Jacarranda

Palin's the real deal and that's what scares the liberals. She is not beholding to anyone or in anyone's pocket. Get a grip folks and look at the future.!!!

January 23, 2009 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  11. Franky

"It's interesting that so many right-wingers on here call us "Palin haters". We're not Palin haters, we're realists. We know she is the least qualified person to ever run for an office that high. She can't think on her feet, she can't speak even remotely eloquently, and she has no business being anywhere near the white house except maybe as a tourist. It amazes me that you people keep thinking that it's a good idea to put the dumbest, least qualified person in the white house. Eight years of that was enough. Let the smart people run things for a while."

Hey, don't look at us, the boys gave me the numbers and odds and I knew something terribly was wrong. Plus, we wondered what it will be like if the GOP would have won?? Let's just say boy, would this country be mad...really mad. Their policies won't change as much as my dad...and by the way, if they laugh, God is listening to them.

January 23, 2009 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  12. Chris in SC

LOL!!!

Based on the general lack of intelligence among Republicans, it wouldn't suprise me if Palin does become a party leader.

January 23, 2009 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  13. Independent Fred

John McCain is a good man but he made a bad decision choosing a running mate.

It wasn't until the GOP convention that the choice became clear.. I suspect many Independents did the same. Had he picked someone like Huckabee I'm sure this would of been a much closer race..

Oh well at least now he can get back to doing the work of the country he loves.

January 23, 2009 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  14. GA Independent

Remember the commercial McCain ran dissing Obama for being a celebrity?

What is Palin? Complete with sex scandals (true or not), Paris has nothing on Palin...

January 23, 2009 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  15. Matt

@ Sarah Barracuda
    Maj. Gen. Craig Campbell, adjutant general of the Alaska National Guard, confirmed in an interview in August 2008 that he and Palin play no role in national defense activities, even when they involve the Alaska National Guard...that the entire operation is under federal control, and the governor is not briefed on situations.

January 23, 2009 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  16. JIMBISCIELLO

CAN WE ALL SPELL LANDSLIDE
    IT WAS IN 08 AND IT WILL BE ESPECIALLY SO IN 2012 IF THIS IDIOT IS ON THE TICKET.
    NOW YOU MAY SAY THAT I AM BASHING PALIN- I AM ONLY STATING WHAT IS SO EVIDENT.
    THIS WOMAN SPEWS HATE, NOTHING MORE- NO SUBSTANCE- NO INTELLECT.

January 23, 2009 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  17. PULEEEZZZ!! lets tell some truth

THERE IS A GOD!!! YES!!! I KNOW THE PROOF: McCAIN and PALIN LOST. Funny how GOD was supposed to BE ON THEIR SIDE! WHAT HAPPENED???
    RUN BOTH OF THEM in 2012.. WITH THAT IDIOT JOE PLUMBER AS PART OF THE TICKET... SARAH .. TAKE CARE OF YOUR FAMILY!! WHERE ARE YOUR FAMILY VALUES??? BWAHHHHHAAHHHAA

January 23, 2009 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  18. W.L.Moring

Just PLEASE don';t run again or even think about it.

January 23, 2009 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  19. MichMom

Sen. McCain needs to get a grip. Palin simply is not the brightest bulb. Palin needs to get a bonafide degree, learn to speak English correctly, and take a few civics courses. I'm now wondering will we, the American people, be forever doomed with this woman's presence on the national scene. McCain really did a disservice to the American people by unleashing that inept, power hungry barracuda. Palin, just go away!

January 23, 2009 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  20. Judy

......... i thought i had something to say about this........... but, actually, i am done w/ all this nonsensical rhetoric!

January 23, 2009 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  21. Matt

@ Ken

That's true....the GOP playbook for "when confronted with inconvenient facts that disprove what you say" sets forth the following guidelines:

Step 1. Fabricate a new set of facts (it does not matter if they are true or can be corroborated).

Step 2. Repeat them over and over and over and over again.

Step 3. When confronted with more facts that disprove the facts you fabricated, return to Step 1.

January 23, 2009 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  22. AndyL

@John, Rochester MN January 23rd, 2009 10:48 am ET

You said Palin is the least qualified to run! If experience is what you wanted, you should have voted for McCain. I don't think 18 months of senate experience and being a community organiser qualifies you to be president of the United States. Can't have it both ways buddy.

January 23, 2009 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  23. JP

The social conservatives just don't get it. They are wrecking the party. I voted for McCain. Picking Palin was a major reason why McCain lost. If a moderate republican like myself can't stand Palin all is lost in 2012 if she is the republican nominee.

January 23, 2009 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  24. Educated Voter

Sarah's new book:

THE ABSTINENCE POLICY:
    Learn How You, Too, Can Be a Mom & a Grandma in the Same Year!!

January 23, 2009 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  25. Chip

We need Sarah. She is the ultimate weapon against the ignorant far right conservatives. She has effectively split the republican party in two halves: the crazy, right wing conservative half, that cost McCain all us moderates and, oh btw, would have us living in a theocracy - and the... uh... other... half, what I like to think of as the 'real' republican party. Since I have been driven away from republicanism by her and those like her, I'm a democrat. So: Go Sarah! Sarah in 2012! Woohoo!

January 23, 2009 11:04 am at 11:04 am |