January 23rd, 2009
9 months ago

McCain says he and Palin plan to meet this month

CNN

Watch McCain discuss his relationship with Palin.

(CNN) – Despite the post-election battle between Sarah Palin and John McCain's campaign advisors, the former Republican presidential candidate told CNN’s Larry King both members of the GOP ticket remain “very close.”

McCain — who has been edging his way back into the spotlight Palin never quite left - dismissed questions over his running mate’s criticism of his campaign team. “Listen, I think the world of Governor Palin, her husband Todd, her family, I'm honored that she would run with me,” he said in an interview Thursday.

“And look, whenever there is a losing campaign there is always a little bit of back and forth, and it happens post-mortem. I am so grateful to have her as a friend, and I believe that she represents a lot to the Republican Party in the future. I think she has a big role to play.”

Palin and senior McCain aides, many of them anonymous, have traded criticism since the Republican ticket’s defeat.

Last month, the Alaska governor told Human Events that following the campaign’s media strategy was her biggest regret of the race. “I was not allowed to do very many interviews, and the interviews that I did were not necessarily those I would have chosen,” she said. “But I was so thankful to have the opportunity to run with John McCain that I was not going to argue with the strategy decisions that some of his people were making regarding the media contacts...if I would have been in charge, I would have wanted to speak to more reporters, because that’s how you get your message out to the electorate.”

The Arizona senator would not tell King Thursday whether he was personally stung by Palin’s criticism of his top aides. “Look, we're very close friends, and I talk to her all the time and look forward to seeing her, I think, in a week or so,” he said. “We're very close.”

McCain also side-stepped the question of whether he’d ever raised those comments with her. “Oh - these things always happen in campaigns,” he said. “She has my respect and my affection and that's undying.”

Last month, he told an interviewer Sarah Palin could not necessarily count on his support his former running mate if she chose to run for president.

"I can't say something like that. We've got some great other young governors,” he told ABC then. “I think you're going to see the governors assume a greater leadership role in our Republican Party," he said, citing Governors Tim Pawlenty of Minnesota and Jon Huntsman of Utah.

“...Have no doubt of my admiration and respect for her and my view of her viability, but at this stage, again … my corpse is still warm, you know?"

Filed under: John McCain • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. yellow dog democrat

that will be in the "book" too!

I am reading Obama's book "Dreams from my Father" – it will be interesting to compare Palin's book to it – for perspective and insight purposes.....who knows????

January 22, 2009 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  2. CATINA

THANK YOU JOHN MCCAIN FOR NOT THROWING GOV.PALIN UNDER THE BUS.

January 22, 2009 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  3. Steve in Las Vegas,NV

Why is she still around?? Oh wait... she is the best gift the Dems ever got!! The gift that keeps on giving!!!. And a real gift to comics everywhere. Comedic gold... Get Katie Couric ready with some more interviews!!

Why would McCain even want see Falin again?? Do they think she has a chance anywhere?

Alert the Gotcha Media and stay tuned!! YOU BETCHA!!!

January 22, 2009 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  4. Robbin

Senator McCain has moved on and seems to be gracious and trying to be helpful to President Obama which I thank him for...however you reap what you sow...he launched this missile Palin on the American people and now he is paying for it....Can you imagine if these two were actually elected? Wow I just did a serious shiver...wheewww

January 22, 2009 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  5. Cathy from Colorado

As Rush Limbaugh would say–"he's drinking the kool-aid."

January 22, 2009 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  6. chris

Of all the great photos of Palin and McCain, CNN has to choose this one? Sheesh. You think we're oblivious to your bias?

January 22, 2009 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  7. Peter

Who cares?

January 22, 2009 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  8. Pam

Sarah Palin is an amazingly accomplished American woman for her age! You liberal hate mongers who hide behind your computers can't hold a candle to her !!!!!!!!!!

January 22, 2009 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  9. Kevin

This had better be a duel... weapons of choice, hey that's up to them; time of this to transpire, hey that's up to them. If those 2 decide to destroy each other, so much the better for the Obama Administration.

WE HAVE A LOT OF WORK TO DO!!!! NOW LET"S GET BEHIND 44 AND GET THIS COUNTRY BACK ON TRACK !!!!!

January 22, 2009 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  10. Ernie in LA

Isn't that making all you Palin haters really mad. She is going to write a book, inspire a movie and just make millions of dollars while all of you poor haters put her down. Can you say President Palin?

January 22, 2009 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  11. Anonymous

Palin isn't "commanding" these people, the officers in charge are.
    She is only there in name only.

January 22, 2009 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  12. Vegas Barbie for Obama

Whether or not she commands a National Guard unit on permanent deployment, a missile batallion or has foreign trade experience (hey, she sold that plane on E-bay) is irrelevant, or rather, immaterial. Facts are facts: the woman is an imbecile, she did not KNOW the definition of the word "precondition", she could not name ONE case the principal on her ticket (McCain) disagreed with OTHER than Roe v. Wade (something you'd like ANYONE with a chance to sit in the big seat to know, considering they might have to appoint a chief justice or two during their time in office), and the list goes on. Simply put, she bungled every interview except for those that were given by other right wing nuts like herself. I am no screaming lib, either, just a moderate, with a degree it took me less than FOUR years to earn (remember Sarah, with her spiffy journalism degree took six years to do that) and a brain that works, and full command of the use of the letter "g" when ending words, saying that this woman's time in the sun is done, already, let her alone. Then again, if she did have any notion of running in 2012, Pres. Obama is GUARANTEED another four years in office. I'm with you, Ignored in GA: let's leave the old man and the idiot to their private love-fest...'bout time John glommed onto some other young thing, anyway...Cindy's gettin' older dontcha know!

January 22, 2009 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  13. MrPragmatic

What – she's still talking? I suspect no one is listening.

January 22, 2009 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  14. TyWebb

Oh, goody! Can't wait!

January 22, 2009 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  15. Pat J

Steve in Las Vegas,NV January 22nd, 2009 6:44 pm ET
    -------–
    Steve - your slot-machine mentality is MOST unimpressive!

January 22, 2009 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  16. Viet Vet

Except when they are on active federal duty.

January 22, 2009 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  17. johnrj08

Maybe they should meet on that island off the coast of Alaska where Palin has been watching Russia all these years. Oh, wait! She never set foot on that island. Oops. I guess they could discuss foreign policy, the fine art of plumbing, and the intricacies of the English language.

January 22, 2009 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  18. Hodog

Hey Sarah Baracuda! Everything you wrote all sounds fine and dandy, but why did she not articulate this during the general election. Why would she not communicate her experience to the American people? None of this was brought to light, and all of your points could have been weaved into the debate if she was intelligent enough to do so. Just because you get briefings from Home land Security, does not mean she has the brains to deal with them.

January 22, 2009 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  19. Pam

Most of you liberal naysayers should be so lucky to be able to boast the accomplishments of Sarah Palin, a REAL American woman who can do it ALL - wife, mother, governo - what have YOU accomplished lately - blogging garbage?

January 22, 2009 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  20. Moma Grizzly

Those who disrespect Sarah Palin are only disrespecting themselves. If there were a compilation (and there may be somewhere) of all the unprecedented vitriolic slander directed at this absolutely charming intelligent and RESPECTFUL woman, it would deserve a place of honor in a Hall Of Shame.

January 22, 2009 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  21. Streawmood Bill

Memo

To: John McCain

Fr: A Tired Public

SUBJECT: Meeting with Governor Sarah Palin

Please don't mention her kids, her garndkid, or her son-in-law's mother.

January 22, 2009 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  22. Emily

Go away.

January 22, 2009 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  23. John

I guess both McCain and Palin feel some obsession to return to the scene of the crime.

January 22, 2009 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  24. Mari

@ Sarah baracuda...... right, so much for the 176th Wing....... that's great that they were honored with an Award....... HOWEVER, Palin may be the governor but she DOES NOT "command them".

The Senate, indeed the entire Congress receives "regular briefings from Homeland Security" ......as do ALL GOVERNORS.

"Sarah baracuda" ........ the CORRECT spelling IS "barracuda". By the way!

Palin will be great for the Democrats in 2012....... I will love to watch Obama and Palin debate! What a laugh that will be!

January 22, 2009 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  25. Joanna

Sarah, sarah sarah.... Why won't you stop crying about the same thing over and over. nobody cares, nobody talks about you and your family but YOU!
    I went on her website and almost died when at the bottom of the page is a MATH PROBLEM you have to do to submit your email. LOL i was wondering if she would be able to the math on her own web page. LOL

January 22, 2009 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |